The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

GMC used truck owned by an old guy

As some of you know ,,I have been looking for a truck ,I have noticed that GMC's more than Silverado's have been traded in by old guys ,or old folks .. Anyway thats what the saleman told me about a couple trucks I have looked at.. and I believe I have heard this before..

Remember the salesman telling you that the car you are looking at was owned by a little old school teacher and she walked to school and hardly drove it ?

Anyway I am going to look at all the GMC's before the others...ha ha

Is there any other truck that are mostly owned by old folks ?
Old 08-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: GMC used truck owned by an old guy

Around here I see a lot of older folks driving Buicks. I wonder if GMC and Buick dealerships are often together?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

GMC was built so Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac could be full line dealers.

GMC's today are typically sold for $2000 more, and are held up as a prestige brand compared to Chevrolet. Since what ever model line you compare you always get more standard or total features on a GMC at that level of trim.

So to me it would seem logical that older men would gravitate towards that. Since the kids are gone, and they can now treat themselves. Plus what I have seen sort of says that is mostly true.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
kipps

A very rough generalization, but I'd say that older men are more likely to be driving 2wd trucks, and the young bucks have the 4wd's. The older fellows learned to drive in any weather with a 2wd. They don't see as much need for 4wd.

Regardless, the 2wd will not have been thrashed on as much as a 4wd.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
A very rough generalization, but I'd say that older men are more likely to be driving 2wd trucks, and the young bucks have the 4wd's. The older fellows learned to drive in any weather with a 2wd. They don't see as much need for 4wd.

Regardless, the 2wd will not have been thrashed on as much as a 4wd.

Yes, that's true about the young bucks using them for what they are 4 wheel drive ,, and maybe there are more of them than the old guy with his fishing boat.. but it's better odds than none huh?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Leonard60

Maybe so but I’ve been driving GMC since my teens now I’m old. I’ve always been far more partial to the grills on the GMC. But the main reason for buying mostly exclusive GMC has been the dealer. I’ve also been told in the past that GMC is more popular in Canada than it is in the US.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
Leonard60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
GMC was built so Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac could be full line dealers.

GMC's today are typically sold for $2000 more, and are held up as a prestige brand compared to Chevrolet. Since what ever model line you compare you always get more standard or total features on a GMC at that level of trim.

So to me it would seem logical that older men would gravitate towards that. Since the kids are gone, and they can now treat themselves. Plus what I have seen sort of says that is mostly true.
The GMC truck line is actually older than the Chevrolet line of trucks. Many years ago the GMC truck was believed to be a heavier built truck so it sold more to the people who wanted a heavier truck. Or so I’m told. My father was one of the believers of this.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard60 View Post
The GMC truck line is actually older than the Chevrolet line of trucks. Many years ago the GMC truck was believed to be a heavier built truck so it sold more to the people who wanted a heavier truck. Or so I’m told. My father was one of the believers of this.
I was talking in a modern sense. That it was to give other GM companies a full line of vehicles. With out the full line mentality GMC likely would of gone away.

As the modern concept/practice of selling cars came into being GMC was effectively with out a home. Chevy sold pretty much everything they did. I have heard GMC was always more heavy duty the Chevy, and what I have seen on 60-66 trucks. I have a tendency to believe it. Although largely over after then run of 67-72 models. The square bodies is where GMC really was just a small step nicer. Less base engines out there, and usually they have better 1/2 ton suspension. Just as now GMC is always more luxurious then Chevy, and always has the top engine in 1/2 ton trucks. 3/4 ton, and above it just is more luxury at relative matching trim levels. Plus more available options.

It is a mixed bag of half truths and such. With no real facts to say yeah or neah. I have looked a lot years ago, but no one has actually documented anything as of yet I am aware of. My feelings are based of what I previously read, and a life of wasted hot rodding.

If you read about GM in the 60's each car company filled a slice of the pie. Or at least this is where you could read about it being really enforced by corporate. Which the stodgy GM execs give rise to Delorean, and his GTO. Plus the Chevy COPO "program" among many other things we hear of today.

To me not even being a Mopar guy, and of yet still have never personally owned one. My ex-wife had a 09 Charger. I am really taken back by Dodge's programs of the pre-muscle car era till it's end. Plus all the wild, and crazy packages they offered. Having been reading about them off, and on for 17 years since I was 28. You would think I would have jumped on the direct connection band wagon, but as of this writing. I have still only tried to buy 2 72-75 D100's, and missed them by mere minutes each time. I have since purchased a 73 GMC C20 for the title as the rest of it was damn near pure rust bucket. Which I will turn into my dream muscle truck, and look for another D100 later later.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I thought this was going to be another thread about the '67 GMC Elvis owned

I guess we can all draw what conclusions we want, but until GM stopped building big trucks there were GMC Truck Centers that were "full-line truck dealerships", Sprints/Safaris/Pickups on up to the 9500s and no cars. GMC stood on it's own two feet quite tall and they are part of what helped Chevy Trucks' better their reputation. Like I always said, "Chevy Trucks are just rebadged GMCs"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Is there any other truck that are mostly owned by old folks ?
You'd be amazed at how many 99-06 Tundras are out there also. Here in the SE US they seem to be favored by the older "Lodge crowd" (Masonic, Moose, Elks, etc.)

They've consistently popped up in search results and at dealerships when searching for our last few cars for ourselves and the parents.

Seems like there's a on of low-mileage ones in the NW USA/PACNW, Oregon especially.

Not sure if there's some correlation to any of it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #11
dieseldawg142

GMC's just always seemed more "truck" to me cause that's all they ever built...yeah i know they come down the same line as the chevy's, but could'nt imagine a GMC Camaro or something like that. and there is a few model yrs i just like the GM grille better.
have 2 GM's and 1 chevy truck in the driveway, just more interested in my trucks being a gm product
and i'm old....
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Around here I see a lot of older folks driving Buicks. I wonder if GMC and Buick dealerships are often together?
Same here. Lots of older people driving really slow in Buicks. And Buick dealers sell GMC.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

With Pontiac and Oldsmobile gone it's Buick/GMC mostly. We have dealerships now that sell GMC and Chevy trucks. Funny how the popular view is Chevy truck first and GMC second when Chevy trucks are GMC's younger brother. GMC started out as it's own truck manufacturer before General Motors bought them and changed the name. GMCs and Buicks are two of the oldest continuously operating automotive companies in the world. People ask why does GM still make GMCs when they are the same as Chevys when the question that makes more sense to me is why does GM still make Chevy trucks when GM already has a truck company. Chrysler just did break their trucks away from Dodge and give their own brand. After all these years they decided to use what GM has done all along with GMC Truck

I'm surprised no one has related the topic of this thread to the saying, "GMC stands for Grown Man's Chevy"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
GOPAPA

I agree Tim,, remember a few years ago they wanted to stop making GMC trucks?

Forgot what year that was but it probably was guys like you who stood up for them and anyway they are still making them...

If one reads up on the options between the two GMC /Silverado yoy will find the GMC has more options (like leather seats) that come with the base truck to start with .. You can still not add the leather seats if you so desire .

If you are into music ,,the GMC has 7 speakers and Silverado has 6 ,, just to mention a few..
Old 08-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, in recent years GM has done a lot to separate the two trucks in more ways than grille, tailgate, and horn button. The have different sheet metal now. Same platform, but that's common practice these days across the board, even different brands on same platform, such a Toyota and Chevy car off same platform

Tim

Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

I am on my 3rd GMC and I do like them a lot.
Someone said GMC stands for “got more class”. Funny but they are nice.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I am on my 3rd GMC and I do like them a lot.
Someone said GMC stands for “got more class”. Funny but they are nice.
"Gets More Chicks"
"Got More Crap" (admittedly, I'm on GMC #3 and they always do feel more lux)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
1976gmc20

Back in the 1960's GMC pickups were different than Chevy pickups. They had leaf rear springs instead of coils and trailing arms, and of course they offered the V-6 engines which were really a truck engine.

I got all of my GMC's used so it was mostly by chance. My first GMC was the 1965 C-50 with the V-6 so it truly was a Truck.

In the 1970's the dealer that I worked for had a pickup come in off the transport with "Chevrolet" on one side and "GMC" on the other.

PS: 500th post! Do I get a sticker or something?
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #19
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Back in the 1960's GMC pickups were different than Chevy pickups. They had leaf rear springs instead of coils and trailing arms, and of course they offered the V-6 engines which were really a truck engine.

I got all of my GMC's used so it was mostly by chance. My first GMC was the 1965 C-50 with the V-6 so it truly was a Truck.

In the 1970's the dealer that I worked for had a pickup come in off the transport with "Chevrolet" on one side and "GMC" on the other.

You do get a high five from me The GMC's also had the leaf springs in the 70ies too .
Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #20
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
You do get a high five from me The GMC's also had the leaf springs in the 70ies too .
Thanks!

My recollection is that Chevy went back to leaf rear springs in 1973, but mostly all I've ever had was 4wd with leaf all around.

I sure like the looks of the recent GMC pickups compared to the Chevy.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #21
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
You'd be amazed at how many 99-06 Tundras are out there also. Here in the SE US they seem to be favored by the older "Lodge crowd" (Masonic, Moose, Elks, etc.)

They've consistently popped up in search results and at dealerships when searching for our last few cars for ourselves and the parents.

Seems like there's a on of low-mileage ones in the NW USA/PACNW, Oregon especially.

Not sure if there's some correlation to any of it.
I,ve heard over and over that the tundras are a really good long lasting truck and is a good used vehicle to buy
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I,ve heard over and over that the tundras are a really good long lasting truck and is a good used vehicle to buy
Did they ever make a long bed pickup ???

Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Yeah, um ... I'm still waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
Depends. Drivetrain-wise, their 4.7 V8 will run 400, 500, 600k miles and all you gotta do is put good gas in it and change the oil every 5k w/synthetic. Just like any other vehicle though, they had their follies. The Tundras from (I think) 99 and through (I know) 03 had a flurry of issues with frame rot, to the point Toyota got sued, recalled, and was doing full frame replacements on trucks they sold. I've seen pictures of framerails with punch-throughs about as big as the hole in the brittle plastic dash of my GMT400.

We had a rash of issues there in the 90s with piss-poor manufacturing across most brands. Bad steel, bad plastics, I don't think any manuf'er was immune. Brittle dash hit Ford, Dodge and GM. Bad steel plagued Toyota and also Dodge, if I recall. I think by the time we hit the mid-2000s most truck manuf'ers got a handle on it, but then they started building everything the size of a damn schoolbus and everything has 4 doors on it looking like a sedan with a bed on it.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Tundras haven't been around but 20 years, so none have outlasted the GMT400s you see all over the place. But nobody talks about that. I don't see as many Tundras (1999+) as GMT400s (2000-back to '88)

Tim

Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #25
67C10Step

Guess I qualify as an old guy. I’ll be 50 this Friday and here’s a photo of my current GMC. I’m the odd guy that actually takes his 4x4 off the highway. This is a fishing trip my wife and I went in recently. I pulled 4 or 5 nice smallmouth bass out of that hole right behind the truck.

Sorry the photo is sideways. Posting from my phone and I can’t get it to turn.
Attached Images

67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote