The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
msg

Axle Identification help

I am hoping I can do a quick ID of this axle on my 66 c-10 but I dont think this bed is the same year as the cab due to weld marks on the frame where someone joined them up.

I was trying to get the ratio without removing the differential cover and counting teeth if possible.

I have a 350 motor and powerglide trans hooked up to this axle

from this I have found some numbers.
Like the photo shows its a 12 bolt with E176 stamped lower right.

From the other side (looking at the axle from the transmission) it reads 3856525 at the top right and on the tube what I think is a date stamp reads
HA 06 02 W

from this site I'm not sure iof what I have is a Dana or not.

http://www.nationwideparts.com/differentials.htm
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Axle Identification help

GM 12 bolt....crazyL OOps ,Check the stampiing on the top of the pass side axle tube. That will give the info(assuming that nobody has messed it in the last 47 yrs)? She looks like a 'leaker"...pop the cover & check! you will find the # for ring & pinion stamped on the ring gear(factory)
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 02-23-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: more info
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
cableguy0

The time you have already spent trying to clean things up you could have yanked the cover and changed the oil. I bet it needs new oil anyhow. Fresh gear oil and new sealant on the cover. As the old man said the gear ratio is stamped into the ring gear. Its a 12 bolt gm truck. Guessing at gear ratio is a waste of time. Like I said theres a good chance that gear oil is the same oil the general put in there almost 50 years ago.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
msg

Any gear oil you guys recommend?
And is this the right gasket ?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...391_0306845202
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I am usually in favor of synthetic gear lube for axles and manual transmissions, but in a unit this old, with no new parts going in......fresh is about as good as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Scotty-D

Looks like HA should be a 3.73 open.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=327764

(Scroll down to the big pictures).
Posted via Mobile Device
Scotty-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree on pulling the cover, checking the tooth count, resealing with a new gasket and filling with fresh gear oil. The differential is one of the most neglected parts of a vehicle.

Yes that does appear to be the correct gasket.

The stamped code HA does indicate a open differential with a 3.73 gear ratio, but who know what may have found it's way in there in the past 47 years.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
cableguy0

I actually prefer to skip the gasket. I either use gray rtv which is specifically for differentials OR I use The Right Stuff which is a black rtv but sets up just about instantly and seems to seal anything.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
GM 12 bolt....crazyL OOps ,Check the stampiing on the top of the pass side axle tube. That will give the info(assuming that nobody has messed it in the last 47 yrs)? She looks like a 'leaker"...pop the cover & check! you will find the # for ring & pinion stamped on the ring gear(factory)
Finally got to pop off the cover, and these numbers were stamped on the ring gear

3817778 11 41 GM 5 66 2

From what I have read that 11 and 41 are the numbers I am after right?

41 div by 11 giving me 3.727 (3.73)

I have had an inoperative speedometer and I was told that to properly troubleshoot that issue I would need to know what gear ratio I have.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yes, those are the numbers you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
msg

Got it back together now, but a brake line that runs along the differential is broken now and leaking.

A hairline crack in that rusted line

So now 2 questions

When looking for a new brake line would I search for a 1966 chevy c-10? I assume the axle is a 66.

Also on gear oil for the differential, how many quarts does it usually take? Is it ok to just pour in until it runs out the top of the plug hole?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you want to look for a factory replacement brake line, the line for a '65-'72 C10 should be the same. You can also take a measurement of the length of that line and go to your local auto parts supplier and get a straight length of 3/16" brake line and bend it up yourself. The new coated brake lines bend fairly easily with just your hands.

As for the gear oil, if I remember correctly a couple quarts should do it. I assume you are filling the differential thru the filler hole on the passenger side of the center section? You fill it until the oil starts to dribble out of the fill hole.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You can also take a measurement of the length of that line and go to your local auto parts supplier and get a straight length of 3/16" brake line and bend it up yourself. The new coated brake lines bend fairly easily with just your hands.
I'll give this a shot, never worked on brakes before though. To replace this line I assume I might need to spray some pb blaster to loosen up the connections and disconnect them.

Then take them to a parts store and get all of the connections I need, or is it just the line itself and reuse the connectors? Arent the lines usually flared off at the end for a proper fit? Or would I need a tool to do that?

Quote:
I assume you are filling the differential thru the filler hole on the passenger side of the center section?
Yep passenger side plug hole, there is also something I wondered and that was what the hose that is connected to the top of the axle is for? Its on the driver side top and just looks cut and abandoned. In this pic its draped over the top of the axle and hanging down the passenger side.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Wizzy72

You can buy brake lines that already have flared ends and connectors attached. Just bend to fit. The hose is probably a vent tube. I think it should be attached to the botton of the bed with a clamp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wizzy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The lengths of brake lines I was referring to, are already flared and have the nuts on them. The closest one you will find, will be too long. This can be dealt with, by putting a loop in it somewhere. You can cut and flare your own brake lines, but that takes a double flaring tool, and a bit of finess to get them just right, so they don't leak.

The hose you mentioned, is a vent for the differential. Originally it went up to the passenger side of the frame, with a plastic fitting on the end.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #16
Dmfla52

I have a question on the codes for this axle, HA ..

I have the same codes more of less and happened upon this thread trying to decode what it is.

Mine are HA 02 29 I'm trying to find out the year of this axle I wanna change gears but no idea what it is. I know it's 12 bolt, I think it's out of a late 60's C10 and from this thread I'm gathering it's a 3:73. And one direct me to where I can find the year?
Dmfla52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Clicking on the link in post #6 will take you to the listing but that will not tell you the exact year. It will tell you that it is a '65-'67 truck 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. In my opinion the exact year is not important. The internals in a truck 12 bolt center section are the same from '65-'82. If you must know, pull the cover and look at the date stamped on the ring gear.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Dmfla52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Clicking on the link in post #6 will take you to the listing but that will not tell you the exact year. It will tell you that it is a '65-'67 truck 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. In my opinion the exact year is not important. The internals in a truck 12 bolt center section are the same from '65-'82. If you must know, pull the cover and look at the date stamped on the ring gear.

Thank you, I really appreciate the response. I'm going to pull it apart this weekend but atleast I can order gears now.
Dmfla52 is offline   Reply With Quote