The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
skokz

Project Crazy Madness(Part 66 and 77)

Decide to jump ship from mopar and come back to chevy/gmc.
Still trying to figure out what I have and whats been done and so forth.

So here short version. I was told body is a '66 gmc since it has gmc grille I'm assuming it is but could be switched out.
So do i have a 66 gmc?

Frame and drivetrain is from 77 maybe, owner wasn't sure. Has inline 6.
Said it not original to frame came out of a later model which I believe since motor mounts are not fully bolted down. Also a 4 speed.

Also have lift not sure how much PO said 8inch but idk still trying to figure that out also. Had 38's all around but right now 2 of them are not mounted.
Tires clears in front and fit under bed. Tires are 38 x 12.50 x 15.
Have pics of tires on front and old pic when they where on back. Don't have all 4 tires yet. Still needs shocks, they never got new ones.

And best part I have seen, the bad wiring that this thing has is a mess to put it mildly. So it should be fun and alot of cussing probably in the future. Majority of the stuff to fix and repair this truck will be coming from junkyards or from other chevy owners. Since im broke and unemployed.
Here are the pics I have so far.

Pic's from the backside. 33's on the rear right now.

From the front with 38's.

Pic from rear when the 38's where on the back.

Pic of front suspension. Does anyone know what these springs are from or have some more info on them. Thanks.

From the front after putting the tires on.
skokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Project Crazy Madness(Part 66 and 77)

Welcome to the forum

It's hard to tell if it's a GMC or not without seeing the dash. Also the VIN will tell you. That frame is either a K5 frame or a shortened Suburban frame. That box has been shortened also. It's hard to say on the front springs. They could be aftermarket lift springs with a leaf or two removed. I'm sure a good amount of the lift is from the body lift that is necessary to mount one of these bodies onto a '73-'87 frame.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
skokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

It's hard to tell if it's a GMC or not without seeing the dash. Also the VIN will tell you. That frame is either a K5 frame or a shortened Suburban frame. That box has been shortened also. It's hard to say on the front springs. They could be aftermarket lift springs with a leaf or two removed. I'm sure a good amount of the lift is from the body lift that is necessary to mount one of these bodies onto a '73-'87 frame.
Thanks for the welcome, I will get pics of the inside after I get it cleaned out.
How do I tell from the vin if its a gmc or chevy?
Where has the box been shortened at. I didn't even notice and how much does it look like was taking out.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
monolith
Zero Albedo

What a beast.

I love it!!

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Hump on drivers side,the chevies were flat all the way across
Looks like all the shortening came off the front of the box (originally a short box)
Pic #2 may suggest it's a GMC
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I don't remember off hand how the GMC VIN's are different. You can either post it here ans someone will help with it, or go to the FAQ's sticky at the top of the '60-'66 main page. There is a thread in there that will help you de-code the VIN.

I'm seeing a seam about 6 inches back from the cab.....that's not factory. It's hard to tell how much has been taken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokz View Post
Thanks for the welcome, I will get pics of the inside after I get it cleaned out.
How do I tell from the vin if its a gmc or chevy?
Where has the box been shortened at. I didn't even notice and how much does it look like was taking out.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

looks like a blazer frame was used, check out the k5 66 build thread, his truck looks similar to yours
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
skokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I don't remember off hand how the GMC VIN's are different. You can either post it here ans someone will help with it, or go to the FAQ's sticky at the top of the '60-'66 main page. There is a thread in there that will help you de-code the VIN.

I'm seeing a seam about 6 inches back from the cab.....that's not factory. It's hard to tell how much has been taken out.
I looked at it closer yesterday and saw the seam. Looks like it was shorten so the rear wheels would line up in wheel opening. I'll look up the vin later on it.
Right now still trying to get motor to turn over, if it will and figure out the wiring mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
looks like a blazer frame was used, check out the k5 66 build thread, his truck looks similar to yours
Was that the build where they where doing frame off. Think they where from texas.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

yes it was this one..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=284105
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
skokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
Yeah I saw that one before I posted mine up. I could only wish mine would look that good.