The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
1leglance

Rear hatch glass gasket issues

So I just my rig back from paint and the glass guy came over yesterday to slap all of it back in.
Except.....
When he got to the back hatch it seems the kit came with a universal-ish gasket...same as what came out as far as I remember but the glass guy thinks it is not right.

As he was trying to fit the glass in it would roll the gasket off the metal lip.
His thought is that the it was NOT thick enough between the metal lip channel and glass channel.

This is a brothers kit so looking for thoughts/experiences from anyone who has used brothers gaskets for the hatch glass, or used something else or has any idea at all

The guy is going to come back over with some univeral gaskets and he says worst case he can cut me a smaller laminate glass.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: Rear hatch glass gasket issues

Did you keep a cross section of the old gasket? I can't really be of much help, as my burb is a bard door. I got my gaskets from Steele's. Is your glass guy a local pro, as I will be putting all of my glass in soon and need a good reference in the Phx area. Thanks
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
1leglance

My guy is someone who has been on the FJ cruiser forums for a few years and everyone seems pretty happy with him.
He also seems pretty sharp.

To remove my windshield, then come back and install the windshield, long side glass and rear hatch is $250....all done at my house and on the weekend.
Seemed like a fair deal to me.

Nobin (Nick) has been a big help as he has Steele Rubber Products Part# 70-1706-81 which he says is 1 piece vs my cut to length one.
Also the tailgate gasket he has includes the metal corner tabs.
So he is being kind enough to let me use his gasket and I will order up ones to replace it.

I will try to post pics tonight or in the morning depending on work...also after this Friday if the reinstall goes well.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
BLP

I used the Brothers seals as you did on all my windows and installed them my self. It was my first time. It really didn't seam that hard. Is the glass installer installing the rubber on the glass first and then the glass into the back window?
BLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
1leglance

Gasket on hatch first, then slip glass in one area and start going around.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
BLP

I am not a Glass Installer by any means but i did the rubber on the hatch glass first and then into the hatch. I set the glass on the hatch and then lifted it all the way up and centered it and worked it around with the string and helped it in with my palm. Hope this helps.
BLP is offline   Reply With Quote