The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
bbcmudtruck

Help me pick out new seats!

I currently have a stock bench seat thats in pretty good condition. However I'm putting a very healthy 496 in my truck and want some better seats. Ideally, I would like to put some newer silverado seats in my truck. I have a 2013 silverado 4 door pickup and I really like the seats in there. My question is what seats will fit in the truck without looking stupid? I've tried searching the forums, however the search function on this site is lacking a little. Any pics of newer silverado seats are greatly appreciated! As well as any tips or tricks in what years fit better than others! THanks!!
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Help me pick out new seats!

IMHO, the only seats that don't look stupid in these trucks are the stock bench seat and the stock buddy buckets. Have you considered buddy buckets? They're expensive, but nice
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Prematuregrey

I have a fixed back bench that leaves a lot to be desired for comfort. This is what I grabbed to put in mine from the JY a few weeks back. Far from stock or buddy buckets (both great options for the purist), they are from a late 90's Chevy conversion truck. I've had a similar set in a 96 stepside I used to own and they are comfy. This seat is manufactured by Seatco. They will be going into my Med Red/White K20. My plan is to do a red houndstooth center with white border in a tougher marine vinyl so you'd have to imagine them done before you hate on me. I've test fit them and they fit real good. The center console only comes up to the bottom of the rear window when folded up while the seat backs go just shy of midway. Another thing I like about them is each section is on its own slider. Best part is so far I'm only into them $30 and the frames are in perfect shape. I'm not trying to make my truck into a purist resto, it is a work truck and was far from factory when I bought it with a BB, lift and axle upgrades so if your staying purist forget my opinion. I'm just after more comfort while trying to appear as a nicely upgraded original truck.

71 Chevy K20, Clifford, BB and 1 Tons
Prematuregrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
bbcmudtruck

Well I'm ditching the stock bench for sure! I found a set of buddy buckets fairly close to me, but he wants 700 bucks and they need to be redone. For that kind of money, I could get a set of really nice 06 and newer silverado seats. I'm just worried that the backs of the seats will sit high up into the window. I was hoping someone has installed some and has some pics! I appreciate the input so far!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
chevy1970c10

I had some in my 70 but took them out for a og bench seat
Attached Images

chevy1970c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
leftybass209

It really depends on your trucks style. Id say 88-91 or 92 shortback c1500 seats. They dont look "wrong" for the c10 like big bulky new seats.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
bbcmudtruck

Thanks for the pic, that's exactly what I was needing to visualize! I agree with you guys. I don't think the newer seats would look that great with the head rests sticking up in the rear window like that. I'm going to have to re-evaluate the seat scenario. So are the seats on the kc craigslist worth the $750 he's asking? They are decent in the pics, but would need to be redone for sure.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
bbcmudtruck

EDIT: He's asking $650. Here's the link:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/4108575347.html
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
EDIT: He's asking $650. Here's the link:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/4108575347.html
Sure seems like the going rate to me. And, now that you posted the link, others may swoop in and try to buy them. I'd recommend you get them, assuming they are what he says they are
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
bbcmudtruck

Haha, I'm not to afraid of that. It was posted on craigslist and has been for a while. If someone does beat me to them, they evidently needed them worse than me! I'll contact the guy and see if I can arrange a time to look at them. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
bbcmudtruck

Also, my gas tank is under the bed now, so I have a little more room in the cab. Thought I would throw that detail in there, in case there were other options with more room.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
elf w/capital T

I wish i had buddy buckets!!! But until then, these work for me....late 80s- early 90s...1500....not sure exactly which but someone here will know!! Theres tons of seats people put in these trucks....

Maybe try looking at http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...C10Lowback.htm

Good luck, have fun!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
hugger6933

Those are not what we call the buddy buckets. The buddy buckets are from 67-68 and have a fold down console/seat type thing in the center. Those are however are the truck bucket seats for the 69& 70 or maybe the 71-72[I can't tell the diff] The later set of seats are the correct ones if you have anything but the 67or 68. I Have a set of buddies in my 68 GMC or so I thought when I bought it, it does have what appears to be utility buckets mounted on the buddy frame. When I asked the former owner about it he said "yeah I got those seats setting at my shop [along with the new take off tailgate! Yikes!]if you want 'em you can have 'em" So now I have a pair of utes for my one of my 70 builds and the right buddies for my 68 GMC and I also have a pair like those that premature grey has but they have lower backs and removable headrests. So when they are covered they will look a whole lot closer to the factory buddy bucket. Good luck in your search. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
leddzepp

Those are 69-70 seats on the CL ad. They are a boardmembers and also for sale here on the parts board.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
jocko

they are a fair price at that asking price. Keep in mind that a "perfect" set of buckets with good foam, new covers, and brackets will run in the neighborhood of $1100-1300 usually (and shipping isn't cheap). The pertinent question is whether or not you want to do the work yourself to restore seats (and considering what foam and seat covers cost, you'd be at the $1100+ mark rapidly) or pay for a nicely done set. They are available from several members on here on occasion if you keep your eyes peeled (or, better yet, just post a WTB ad). That's how I got mine. Also keep in mind that when converting to buckets that you need to add the floor stiffening braces (HIGHLY recommend reviewing McBassin's excellent bucket seat install thread), a console, a tank carpet cover, carpet retaining eyelets, yada yada yada. It's worth it. Factory buckets are perfect in these trucks. Other than that, I'd only use a stick bench. So, if you're looking for something a little sportier, I'd swap to correct year buckets. 69-72 use all the same frame/cushions, etc, just the covers are different between 69/70 and 71/72 (I THINK everything is identical except covers...) 67/68 used "buddy buckets" that had the fold-down middle. Personally, non-original seats don't look quite right to me in these trucks. They WILL hurt resale - not necessarily your resale price, but certainly your resale audience - some just won't look at em if the non-original seat is in there. Having said that, newer seats are much more comfortable and safer if correctly mounted (i.e. how would you know you've properly braced the floor for newer (heavier) buckets. Seat belts won't do much good if your seat rips out of the floor in a minor head-on. As if there were such a thing as a minor head-on...) Anyway, my 2c only.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
leddzepp

OEM seats do no have integrated seatbelts...so all the fuss about adding the floor bracing is not really necessary IMO. A couple of large washers does the trick. 69-70 uses slightly different foam than 71-72 seats, as well as different style covers.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
jocko

Thx Scott! Just painted that ol door I bought from you awhile back... But my black buckets and console are homeless, going green custom cloth bench seat vice converting the whole interior to black so I can use the buckets. Maybe in a future project.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
bbcmudtruck

Great info and thanks for the help! I'm learning some great tips and tricks from you guys every day! I hope it doesn't get annoying when I start another, "help me choose or pick this thread"! haha
Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
hugger6933

I was gonna add something else in the post that I forgot[I normally do] that if you are on the big side of large you may want to reconsider the later Silverado seats. I had some setting in the floor when I tore down my green 70 and I put those in to get a feel of them because that was part of my plan at that time, As I had another pair that were real nice in the parts one of my parts trailers.I put it in there and I could sit in the truck but it would not be fun to drive as my head was hitting the roof and my belly was hitting the wheel, and it had a smaller aftermarket wheel already put on. Now, on my 68 GMC with the buddies it was a lot better but I still was close to the wheel. I put a tilt in and "shortened"it and it solved the problem. Be aware that when you shorten your tilt it also lessens the tilt effect it has as it gets closer to the dash.[you know shorter lever and all that math and stuff we said in school we would never need even to work on cars that we use every day!] Hope this doesn't confuse anything any more . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
1mitch4

I am actually running 06 seats in my 71 and I don't like the headrests either. Benn thinking about just taking them out and leaving the seats so all that would be sticking up would be the part hold the shoulder belt!
1mitch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
bbcmudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mitch4 View Post
I am actually running 06 seats in my 71 and I don't like the headrests either. Benn thinking about just taking them out and leaving the seats so all that would be sticking up would be the part hold the shoulder belt!
Any pics?