The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
swamp rat

Which would you pick?

Torn for new treads for my daily driver 4x4, not my swamp rat, has to accelerate in the snow and be capable for occasional dirt road camping trips, of course it rains here so the dirt roads could be a little sloppy but we're not talking rutted out mud bog (hopefully) of course good street manners in both dry and wet.

I'm down to 3 A/T choices after I ruled out about 10 other tires. Opinions???

Duratrack
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac?

K02
https://shop.bfgoodrichtires.com/tir...errain-t-a-ko2

Cooper ATP, second tire down.
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 11-26-2016 at 03:00 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Which would you pick?

Cant speak much for the Coopers. I have run Goodyear Mts and they didn't wear as long as I had hoped. They were a little pricey at the time as I remember as well. BFGs on the other hand have worn well for me over the years. Had at least 8 different sets over 30 years. Running 35" MT KOs at the moment. Been good DDs as well as abused off road tires as well.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I've had bad luck with BFG casings mixed with hauling (A/Ts). I think they are fine for an SUV or Jeep, but I consider them a novelty tire on a truck. I haven't used either of the other two, but have run MTRs and other Coopers. I think the Goodyears are known for getting hard and ride hard in time. Mine got really old and certainly got that way. I've been liking the Cooper brand in recent years. I've gotten good service from their A/T (A/P I think, but years ago) and their Discoverer S/Ts, which they changed. I think all three you have landed on would be where I'd land on searching for new rubber. All good companies

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-30-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
b454rat

I had a set of the goodyears, but not for long. I only did road time with them so can't comment on how they did elsewhere. But when I bought two to get mounted, tire shop loved them. He had them on his dually and raved how they were. I heard they were a good all around tire, only thing I really noticed is they were quiet. I had BFGs, and they sucked in heavy mud. Only experience with Coopers were on my dad's old truck, old style SSTs. They were awesome in the snow, and road pretty good too. Out of the ones you listed, I'd go with the goodyears. The set I had were older, still road good and wore good too. But they are expensive.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Most of what I have heard / read / experienced with Duratrac and BFG All Terrains has been positive, with a few negatives sprinkled in. Between the two, I really like the appearance of the Duratrac but I would buy BFGs. Mostly based on years of owning BFGs, and hearing of problems with Goodyears.

Compared to those two, the Cooper ATP seems like more of a street tire, less of a traction tire. Nothing wrong with it but it's more of an apples to oranges comparison. I would take a good look at Cooper's Discoverer A/T Maxx. In fact, that tire would probably be my top pick for what you are looking for.

Any of those would probably serve you well. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
ranger danger

Just curios why your not considering the Toyo open country R/T? Friends have reported very good things about these, and you can get them at Les Schwab.
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
GSP7

Im debating Toyos also. Either Toyo AT2, Cooper at3 or BFG KO2

I wonder how Toyos do as they get real old...?

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger danger View Post
Just curios why your not considering the Toyo open country R/T? Friends have reported very good things about these, and you can get them at Les Schwab.
I was pretty much going by tire reviews and and tire company website info and looking for the mountain 3 peak symbol because I want a year round tire that performs the best in wet compound snow and ice, the R/T does not have the 3 peak symbol. I will admit tho I did overlook the XYX Sport. That's not to say anything bad about Toyo, there is a good chance I'd be happy with them as well.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
swamp rat

Well I decided to give the Duratracks a try, hopefully I'll not be disappointed. Naturally they had to order them in so about a week out.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
First c10

Hey mike. I am not a fan of the bfg's. They have never lasted for me. Coopers and goodyears would be my choice. I did use mastercrafts on Hulk jr which are made by cooper. They are a MT tire though not a AT.
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I'll be making a tire decision next spring, pretty much the same choices. Probably be between the Goodyears and Coopers. I want mud tread but not radical, or I'd buy Super Swampers

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
BILT4ME

I have the Duratracs on my Toyota Land Cruiser and absolutely love them. I had BFG's on my old 69 Chevy K10 and they were OK, but the Duratracs are WAY better.

They are not noisy (unless they don't get rotated soon enough). The Duratracs do very well in the snow and rain. I am planning on putting them on our 70 GMC K20 when we get it ready. 285/75-16 (33x1200x16)

I have 28K miles on mine and they are still more than half tread left.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
i82much

The differences between tires of the same general type are always greatly exaggerated on the internet. You would be hard-pressed to jump in a truck and tell the difference between them. That's true of just about any all-terrain to all-terrain comparison, any MT to MT comparison, etc. You would be able to tell the difference between a KM2 and a KO2 a lot easier than between a KO2 and a Duratrac.

I run Duratracs on my truck and KO2's on my Jeep. Both are great tires. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Toyo and Cooper both make great all-terrains as well.

One thing to keep in mind - you might hear someone badmouth a company like Goodyear or Continental without specifying which tire. That is because those companies make some cheapie OEM tires that are craptastic, and also some premium tires. On the other hand, companies like BFG and Toyo make *only* good tires. Point is, there really are crappy Goodyears out there, (say, the Wrangler ST), but the Duratrac isn't one of them. The Duratrac is a nice, aggressive, premium all-terrain (ok, technically they call it a commercial traction tire) that will serve you well for a long time.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:18 AM   #14
bilfman

Dura tracs Rock,

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
The differences between tires of the same general type are always greatly exaggerated on the internet. You would be hard-pressed to jump in a truck and tell the difference between them. That's true of just about any all-terrain to all-terrain comparison, any MT to MT comparison, etc. You would be able to tell the difference between a KM2 and a KO2 a lot easier than between a KO2 and a Duratrac.

I run Duratracs on my truck and KO2's on my Jeep. Both are great tires. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Toyo and Cooper both make great all-terrains as well.

One thing to keep in mind - you might hear someone badmouth a company like Goodyear or Continental without specifying which tire. That is because those companies make some cheapie OEM tires that are craptastic, and also some premium tires. On the other hand, companies like BFG and Toyo make *only* good tires. Point is, there really are crappy Goodyears out there, (say, the Wrangler ST), but the Duratrac isn't one of them. The Duratrac is a nice, aggressive, premium all-terrain (ok, technically they call it a commercial traction tire) that will serve you well for a long time.
You make some good points. I think also what we don't really know when someone talks negatively about a particular tire, is how they used it, and was it the right tire for the vehicle and use. Putting an under or over-rated tire on can of course cause some serious wear and traction issues. It's funny with the BFG's; people either seem to love or hate them. I hear some people saying they don't wear good. I just don't get that. I'm on my third set. NOT because I wear them out... just the contrary. I wear the vehicle out and end up selling it with good BFG AT's on it. I just bought a new daily driver and right away put the BFG ATs on it. I absolutely love them. My last truck still has the BFGs I put on over ten years and THOUSANDS of miles ago. I'm sure the same could be said about most tires (but surely not all).
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
Bladeboy1998

I skipped every reply here, I had ko2s in about march, they were so bad and so soft that I had them warrantied and got the cooper atp, best choice ever. I can mat it in the rain and they will hook. They are such a better tire, they balanced better, and they have a real warranty
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Not sure who we are talking about when we talk about answers gotten off the internet, but ask a question on the internet and that is where your answer will come from. My internet answers come directly from the real world. It is true my comments were on a series not mentioned, only same manufacturer, which is why I pointed that out. Still is food for thought. And I can absolutely tell the difference between same type tire on same truck. No exaggeration necessary. The BFG A/Ts are constructed with a fairly narrow tread width in same size compared to many other brands. Much less rolling resistance as well as easier to steer and less "rut grab". That's my name for road steering tires. I had great experience with those tires on my '90 Blazer, '99 ZR2, and a '72 K/10 I never hauled with. I've had a few bad experiences with them on work trucks. They must be good for something or they wouldn't be a leading seller for all these decades.

Tim

Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
$20071k10

have you looked in to falken wildpeak a/t3w I have a set on my s10 they seam to wear well and have good snow and ice grip. I have a set of duratracs on my jk good winter tires but weares fast over the summer! used to be a die hard bfg fan but when they changed their tread compound they aren't worth a darn any more
Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #19
Bladeboy1998

And cooper and mastercraft are the same parent company, so don't overlook mastercraft for a little less money.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I had Duratracs on my '06 K2500 and they were great for on/off road. However... I also tow a 5th wheel... wore them out extremely fast due to their soft conpound. I'd run them again, just not on a tow rig.

I now have Mastercraft Courser MXT's and I love them. I switched back to running tires from Les Schwab as they have tires stores in almost every big and small town in the PNW.

The best tires I ever used for a true on/off road tire and even decent for towing/hauling were the original style BFG MT's. Can't remember if they were the KM or KO or whatever... either way, I used those in ALL my off road and off road capable rigs and absolutely loved them!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 02-07-2018 at 09:33 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger danger View Post
I went with the Toyo RT. No road time yet but read and watched a lot of videos on them. Love the tread look.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #22
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Not sure who we are talking about when we talk about answers gotten off the internet, but ask a question on the internet and that is where your answer will come from.
Funniest thing I have read all week.

I am on my third set of BFG AT's on my Duramax truck. First was a set of 265 17 16 that I ran for 35k miles or so. Next was a set of TA/KO's that made about same distance before the left rear let go and whacked my bed pretty good. I ordered four more putting two new ones on the front and the old fronts on the rear. Got warranty credit to go towards a new tire so I went back with the KO2's this time. Not 6 weeks later the old front now on the left rear let go and just destroyed bed on my truck...

So, depending on how they wear, especially how the behave hauling, will dictate if I ever get BFG's in an HD app again. But they perform tremendously. Great traction dry, wet, dirt roads. Just not super sloppy mud. And I absolutely love how they look.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:02 AM   #23
dieseldawg142

no internet answers here. just real life driving.
had BFG A/T's on my daily when i bought it in '96. excellent tire in all except mud. ran 'em for 4 yrs, then gave them to buddy who ran on them for 6 more yrs. i went with BFG M/T's cause my truck does spend a fair amount of time off-road. best tire i have found for off road, plus decent on road manners. been on there since '99 and am going to have to finally change them this spring.
i do like the looks of the Discover MTP, might check them out, even just a 285/75r16 BFG is over $350 north of the border, also trying to get my crew painted this yr, so every buck counts right now
also got toyo open country M/T's on my crew as well, another excellent tire imo, very hard wearing and good load limits on them, good on HD's and 1 tons
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive been going through this process myself. I was talking to Livrat about the BFG's, a tire I really like. He made good points about how the tires are great at first, but when the get worn down a bit they are kind of a harder tire and not the best for PNW weather and roads. More of a dryer warmer climate when you lose the initial tread. Now Ive had several sets of these, but I really don't drive enough to wear them down before I end up moving on to another truck lol.

I looked at some tires at Les Schwab's (I have it written down which ones) the ones Livrat recommended didn't come in the size I was looking for and the sidewall looked a little too SUV ish for me anyway. I like the sidewall to have a bit of aggressive looking lug edges. So Schwab's has another one I may go for. I'm not quite there yet, as usual life gives you some zigs and zags, its a process haha.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote