The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #26
BigPhil66

Re: Manual Steering To Power Steering Project (PICS)

Before joining this site, my dad picked it up online but it looks like captainfab makes it and he is a vendor here. He posted on the top of this page...IM him and see what he can do for you, Very nice guy and helpful. The rag joint I got from Brothers in Corona California (they have a website) but again, maybe Captainfab can help you out with that as well.
BigPhil66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
NCD1966

ahh I will have send him a IM when I get to that point. I have a brothers book and been to there site just never saw that rag joint
and now i see someone asked the same question earlier.

Thanks for the info
1990 Chevy Suburban 350 tbi 2x4 (sold)
1984 Chevy C10 sliverado short fleet
1997 Chevy C1500 short fleet

Last edited by NCD1966; 10-07-2010 at 05:16 PM.
NCD1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #28
BigPhil66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD1966 View Post
ahh I will have send him a IM when I get to that point. I have a brothers book and been to there site just never saw that rag joint
and now i see someone asked the same question earlier.

Thanks for the info
no worries.... look forward to your pics.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
BigPhil66

Almost done thanks to Captainfab and some trial/error. I just have a few more things to do and she will be done. Here is a peak at the setup.

Last edited by BigPhil66; 10-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Looking good ,
It appears from the picture like the crank pulley will line up with the alternator also. It would be better if you could use a longer belt and incorporate the crank AND the water pump to run the alternator (If they do indeed all line up.)
PS> If that is a glass inline fuel filter, they can cause fires if broken or cracked/melted , A steel inline filter is less likely to cause a fire IMO.
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #31
BigPhil66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Looking good ,
It appears from the picture like the crank pulley will line up with the alternator also. It would be better if you could use a longer belt and incorporate the crank AND the water pump to run the alternator (If they do indeed all line up.)
PS> If that is a glass inline fuel filter, they can cause fires if broken or cracked/melted , A steel inline filter is less likely to cause a fire IMO.
I don't think that the alt pully lines up with the crank pully but now you have me wondering...: ) I'm no mechanic but the alt should be ok running off of the water pump pully right? The fuel line is ugly and temporary but thanks for the heads up. Do the really break? I remember in the old days we always ran those filters. I hope that I am done by next weekend.
Sure looks like it does in the pic. I am going to look t it in the morning.

Last edited by BigPhil66; 10-19-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I thought you were running a short water pump? You have a mismatch of parts there. You have the short water pump power steering pump brackets with a long water pump. Your belt for the alternator should go around the crank pulley, and the water pump pulley. The power steering pump belt should run from the crank pulley. Of course with the long water pump, the power steering pump hangs off of the water pump.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #33
BigPhil66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I thought you were running a short water pump? You have a mismatch of parts there. You have the short water pump power steering pump brackets with a long water pump. Your belt for the alternator should go around the crank pulley, and the water pump pulley. The power steering pump belt should run from the crank pulley. Of course with the long water pump, the power steering pump hangs off of the water pump.
It wasn't easy finding the parts that I did find...lol I mean, I took a couple of days off and made several trips to the auto parts store and salvage yard. At the auto parts store if you don't know the specific application, they can't help. We figured if we go with the long water pump and get the pullys for them then we would be good to go. i will look to see if I can configure the belts as you say but if I can't...will what I have work? Are you saying that the power steering should only run off of the crank pully?Thank you again for all of your help.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #34
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes the power steering pump is driven off of the crank pulley. What you have there now may work as long as the pulleys line up. But as I posted above, you have a missmatch of parts, so I can't say for sure how it's going to work.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #35
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here are a couple pics I found in the '73-'87 section that shows the arrangement somewhat. They aren't the best, I'll see if I can find some better.

Last edited by Captainfab; 10-19-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #36
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Good morning -
The 327 in my Chevelle uses a Bills Hot rod bracket for the power steering pump and a Bubba modified bracket for the alternator
The 327 heads here are pre-69 and have no attachment holes in the front section. Hard to see but the PS pump is driven of the front pulley on the crank.
The PS pump is standard GM but I am using a steering gear box from a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Delphi/Saginaw)
The alternator attaches to the front bolt on the exhaust manifold and the Black support which is 1/4" X 2" steel flat bar forged into shape as a brace.
I see in your post you have newer style heads and can use a later year set-up using the heads for attachment.
Crank pulleys are the driving pulley and should be used if possible
Name:  IMG_2432.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  62.1 KB
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #37
BigPhil66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yes the power steering pump is driven off of the crank pulley. What you have there now may work as long as the pulleys line up. But as I posted above, you have a missmatch of parts, so I can't say for sure how it's going to work.
Thanks for posting the pics and responding. I worked with what I had as far as the ps pump and bracket. I went back to the salvage yard and after a month the guy was willing to trade out the bracket but it is the type of yard that he brings out the part already off of a vehicle. He seemed very knowledgable and that bracket is what he gave me. It all lines up so I am hoping that it works. You have been a great help and I respect your input. I am going to change the belt configuration to what you recommended though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Good morning -
The 327 in my Chevelle uses a Bills Hot rod bracket for the power steering pump and a Bubba modified bracket for the alternator
The 327 heads here are pre-69 and have no attachment holes in the front section. Hard to see but the PS pump is driven of the front pulley on the crank.
The PS pump is standard GM but I am using a steering gear box from a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Delphi/Saginaw)
The alternator attaches to the front bolt on the exhaust manifold and the Black support which is 1/4" X 2" steel flat bar forged into shape as a brace.
I see in your post you have newer style heads and can use a later year set-up using the heads for attachment.
Crank pulleys are the driving pulley and should be used if possible
Attachment 645775
Thanks for the post...I think I can use the belts in this configuration, I checked it this morning before I left for work.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #38
BigPhil66

Update. I got everything mounted and filled the pump with fluid a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't you know it...the darn thing leaked. Today I bought a new pump, mounted, filled it, and it is good to go. I don't trust my welds so I need to have them looked at before i drive it any distance. Watch for my suspension thread coming soon. Not sure if I want to start it now or wait until after the So. Cal. get together. I'll post Pics tomorrow.

Pics and a video. The crank pully appears to be wobbling a little.

Click the video below to play

Last edited by BigPhil66; 11-28-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: typo