The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #51
mud.man.rj

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Congrat's, your making a lot of progress, wheels fit nice.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
Northwest Outlaw

NEW RADIATOR!!!
Ordered the bolt in replacement radiator from Champion Radiators. Its a fully welded, aluminum, 3-core with built in trans cooler and it fit right into place with only a minor trimming for the petcock. The first one delivered had been man-handled by FedEx and had a bent mounting bracket and the corner was smushed in just enough to make me uncomfortable. A quick call to Champion and they shipped a replacement right away.
Not wanting to waste a free Saturday in the garage, i picked up some 5/16 hard line and bent them for trans cooler lines. Lessons learned: i need a better tube bender and it would have been much easier to run the line before the engine was in!
Fast forward a week and the new rad arrived Friday afternoon (with much more protective packing foam this time) and went in Saturday. Since it was made for my truck specifically it fit right into place, almost. The petcock was moved from the passenger side to the driver's side and was bumping against the lower radiator shield. Once that was notched out a 1/2" i was ready to hook up all the lines and hoses. Needing only some slight massaging, the hard lines I bent the week before worked great.
Some other little bits of progress included replacing an eye sore chrome water filler neck with a black one to match the engine, cause looking good is really what it's all about. I also ran the old manual choke cable to the carb, which is set up for a mechanical choke. After swapping out the stock intake to the Edlebrock Performer I realized the choke actuator wouldn't work any more. So the temporary fix is to revert back to manual choke operations.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #53
realvc

WAY TO GO!!!
Congrats. on the new rad. install.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I did the same in my 61 and it worked perfect!! Looks great!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #55
metalprelude

Looking at the drop spindles and disc brake conversion that you picked-up from Summit. I have 15 inch, 6 lug steel rims and am a little worried about the wheel's clearance of the caliper. Did you have any issues?
metalprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #56
rvrfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalprelude View Post
Looking at the drop spindles and disc brake conversion that you picked-up from Summit. I have 15 inch, 6 lug steel rims and am a little worried about the wheel's clearance of the caliper. Did you have any issues?
I was told by brothers trucks that the stock steel wheels will not work.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #57
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
I was told by brothers trucks that the stock steel wheels will not work.
If you read all the info on the spindle/disc brake kit there is one line that reads "suggested wheel diameter: 17"
I did not see this when i ordered and was hoping to use a set of stock steelies while i saved up for the Detroit Steel Wheels that i ultimately will use. When i got the kit I set the disc rotors and calipers inside the 15" wheel and they just barely fit (pic 1). I found the 17" black wheels im using now on CL for stupid cheap with basically brand new rubber. They work, but also just barely. The deeper back spacing pulled the lower ball joint into the wheel but because of the larger wheel diameter it was ok. (pic 2 the angle is weird but there is clearance of the ball joint)
I would suggest bigger wheels if you use this kit. If you're set on the stock wheels you may be able to get a smaller rotor that works on the spindle, but you'd have to call McGaughys to find out for sure
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #58
HugoV

Looking good man! I'm also in the Seattle area and am currently doing a frame off on my 64'. Let me know if you ever want to get together and wrench some or just swap ideas about our builds. I'll be starting my build thread soon!!
HugoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #59
Northwest Outlaw

February 11th Update: Transmission tunnel repair time.
At some point in the truck's life, a blind 5 year old with a chainsaw tried to open up a place in the trans tunnel for a shifter. Needless to say, that workmanship was less than sub-par and needed to be addressed, aesthetically and for the fact that i'm not Fred Flintstone and don't need to put my feet through the floor! Once again "that buddy", Hotrod Erik, came down to help me fix the problem. We borrowed my neighbor's welder, cut out the hacked up mangled mess and replaced it. Hotrod Erik's previous life as a fabricator/metal worker came in quite handy as he recreated the step flange to match the cab floor's shape perfectly. After tacking it in he let me handle filling the seams around the patch panel. I haven't welded in years, and even back then it was minimal and well supervised by smarter people. I'm please with the result though.
Finding a high hump trans tunnel isn't the easiest, or cheapest, thing to do so i figured that I'd make my own. The truck is no where near a restoration project and i like the idea of putting my own touches on her. Using what we believe was part of an old car's roof, I traced out the template Erik made and cut, bent, trimmed, drilled, bent, re-bent, trimmed, cut and massaged the tunnel replacement into place. I wanted to retain the ability to access the top of the transmission/shift-linkage and made the new tunnel to fit and bolt into the same place as a stock tunnel would. The large radius just happened to be a match to the driveshaft i had just got back and the smaller curve was made with a pipe from an old chainlink fence gate. Who says you need the "right tools" to get a job done!
With this work done and a new driveshaft on hand there is very little standing in the way of driving...
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #60
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoV View Post
Looking good man! I'm also in the Seattle area and am currently doing a frame off on my 64'. Let me know if you ever want to get together and wrench some or just swap ideas about our builds. I'll be starting my build thread soon!!
That would be great man! I'd love to meet up and get more connected with others in the community. Once the Boomstick is road worthy we'll have to set up a time a place to grab a beer
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #61
HugoV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Outlaw View Post
That would be great man! I'd love to meet up and get more connected with others in the community. Once the Boomstick is road worthy we'll have to set up a time a place to grab a beer
Sounds good! I am just finishing up my chassis and should have a roller in the next few days. I hope to complete the frame off restomod by Sept./Oct. Let me know when you want to grab a beer.
HugoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #62
Northwest Outlaw

February 20th Update: Running and DRIVING!
The day everyone dreams of, a day that lives in our memory forever, the day the wife never thought would happen. The first drive of my first major car project.
Name:  022017_first drive.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  45.8 KB
Having President's Day off from work and all the parts i needed, it was time to make this project a driver again. The last part i needed was the driveshaft that would fit between the th400 and the rear differential. Drivelines NW was the shop that everyone recommended and they got the job done. Cut to length and balanced, plus new u-joints on both ends. The driveshaft came as a "bonus" when i got the truck, along with the th400 and a seized small block, all of which came from a mid 70's truck according to the serial numbers on the block. I brought the driveshaft from the '61 with me to the shop and they were able to measure for the correct size u-joint to connect to the rear diff. With a new set of straps for the front u-joint the installation was a piece of cake.
Name:  IMG_6396.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  80.6 KB
A few other items were quickly crossed off the list; a better alternator bracket so it didn't shake, "fill" the trans with fluid (i'll explain in a minute), slap on some temporary exhaust flex pipes, reinstall the seat and hood (neither super easy by myself) and finally clean out the bed and windshield from a year+ worth of dust and garbage collection.
Name:  IMG_6400.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  49.9 KB
With everything i could think of prepped, i started her and warmed up the engine. She still runs a little rough and needs some more tuning/adjustment to the idle mix and timing.
Since this is the first time i've ever attempted anything like this, and i was flying solo today, i was on the nervous side. I set up some wood blocks about 6' behind the truck so i wouldn't roll into the neighbor's cars if there was a catastrophic failure. With the engine warmed up I jumped in and shifted into reverse, maybe...or neutral...oh yeah there it is, reversing slowly, brakes work and we're stopped. Letting her idle a few seconds in park i reveled in my accomplishment; reversing for a whole 5'. It felt great.
Drive didn't seem to catch so i used 1st and rolled forward. Ok good, i can go backwards, forwards and i can stop. After repeating this twice more i figured we were ready for the alley.
Backing out of a garage door that is only 10" wider than your truck, into an alley with neighbor's cars really close, with a fresh engine and tranny swap and not having power steering makes you a really cautious driver. Luckily i had done this a few times when the truck had the inline 6 so i knew what the pattern was. Now that i was lined up and pointed down the alley I dropped her back into 1st and drove 100', then backed up, then drove it again. The brakes are spongy, the idle is rough and stalled out a time or two, and the trans hesitated going into gear, but i was driving a truck that i had pulled the engine out of and replaced with a V8! I felt like a bonafide hotrodder.
Killing the engine and starting it a bunch of times finally trained the battery (sidenote, i need to check and make sure the charging system is working). My neighbor was home and able to give me a quick jump and i pulled the Boomstick back into the garage after her maiden voyage. I claimed the day a major Win.
After talking with Hotrod Erik he informed me that i didn't use enough trans fluid and that was causing the shift delay. I poured 6 more quarts in for a total of 12 and the dipstick reads full. Quicky internet research had only given me the pan capacity, not the whole system capacity. I can't wait to get more time behind the wheel
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #63
realvc

Congrats. on the first drive of you hot rod truck.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #64
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
Congrats. on the first drive of you hot rod truck.
2nd that!!

1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #65
mud.man.rj

Good for you, nice to finally get it out for a short rip.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #66
metalprelude

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions about your brakes and providing pictures. That level of detail is extremely helpful.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #67
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions about your brakes and providing pictures. That level of detail is extremely helpful.
Absolutely man, that's what we're all here for. I knew just about nothing when I first started this build and have gathered a ton of knowledge from the guys and girls here. It feels good to be able to share what little i know when i can.
After a few test drives I have found another thing to point out with the front wheels, backspacing. The wheels i have are running about 6.25" BS and while they mount up and clear everything while straight, at full left and right steering there is scraping. The bolts on the lower ball joint scrape the inside of the wheel. I think i'll be able to adjust the torsion bars and change the angle just enough to get clearance. Just another thing to think about
Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #68
Northwest Outlaw

Started work on the new exhaust system. Took some time to model up the 1961 X-Frame and get an idea for routing the 2.5" pipe and placement options for the crossover pipe and Thrush Welded mufflers. Spent another 2 hours laying under the truck pulling pieces of the Speedway DIY Exhaust Kit in and out to get a real layout of angles and measurements. I should start making cuts and getting a full mock up this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #69
metalprelude

Looks awesome. What software are you using to mock-up the frame and exhaust path?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Outlaw View Post
Started work on the new exhaust system. Took some time to model up the 1961 X-Frame and get an idea for routing the 2.5" pipe and placement options for the crossover pipe and Thrush Welded mufflers. Spent another 2 hours laying under the truck pulling pieces of the Speedway DIY Exhaust Kit in and out to get a real layout of angles and measurements. I should start making cuts and getting a full mock up this weekend.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #70
Northwest Outlaw

Quote:
Looks awesome. What software are you using to mock-up the frame and exhaust path?
Our office, an architecture firm, uses a program called Vectorworks, it's very similar to AutoCAD. I found 3D models of our truck for free online and then used the 1961 shop drawings to rebuild the frame to match my '61. Check out the next post to see how things matched up to reality once i started cutting up the pieces. I will say that having modeled the path way was very helpful once i was working on my back under the truck
Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #71
Northwest Outlaw

Finished up the new exhaust system. https://youtu.be/XyORTgEMcdA
The kit was really easy and fun to use, piecing the pipes together and figuring out where i would need to make my own cuts for the correct routing. The "X-frame" under these years, 1960-62 only i believe, and Torsion-Bar suspension, '60-61, didn't really leave me anywhere to run the exhaust pipes in/through the frame zone. Luckily i hadn't lowered the truck too far to still run under the chassis and keep enough clearance.
From the headers i dropped down right along the frame until the back side of the trans pan, 45 angle towards the center and another 45 to straighten back out. The driver's side has an extra kick out to allow access to the oil filter, something i'm glad i realized now and not later. Both sides came together just behind the trans, then I had to carefully route the paired pipes under the t-bar cross member, as the lowest point on the chassis, which in the end still left 7" clear from ground to exhaust at ride height. With my x-pipe tucked just below the drive shaft tunnel in the x-frame, i was able to slightly angle the exhaust pipes on either side on the driveshaft and start the climb up to wrap over the rear axle. Setting the mufflers vertical and using the offset inlet/outlet to gain height over the axle, the last piece was a 45 angled down between the axle and panhard bar.
With all the pieces cut and fitted together, held by duct tape, i double and triple check the routing before tack welding the pipes. Starting with the header to x-pipe sections, i would tack the pipes, pull them out and run a full weld around each seam. To get the right angle to level out the path, just before the x-pipe i sliced the straight sections about 90% through and then bent the pipe until the opening closed. The thick cutoff wheel i used was the perfect dimension to create the angle. Once the front sections were each welded i placed them back under the truck, bolted to the headers and positioned them correctly while attached to the x-pipe. Tack, tack tack and pulled the whole things out to weld the seams. Repeated that process for the back half and i had myself an exhaust!
The mufflers i decided to clamp in place so that i could have the option to replace them without cutting welds. I also plan on running a few more pieces to get all the way past the rear bumper, once i get around to replacing that. For now dumping right behind the axle will be just fine.
Sprayed all the pipe with black BBQ paint, rated to 1200 degrees, and wrestled the whole contraption under the truck and into place. Fought one bolt on the driver's side collector and ended up having to unbolt the header, secure all three collector bolts, and then bolt the header back on. The passenger side was much easier. Clamped the mufflers on and the last little kickers over the axle, then installed hangers from the last frame cross member, right after the mufflers. When i tried shaking the pipes there was very little movement.
It was about 745 on Saturday evening when I got her set back on the ground and fired up the engine to hear my handiwork. She roared to life with a throaty rumble that made me think of all the best sounding cars i've heard before. At idle she has lumpy growl, the engine probably needs to be tuned better, and when she revs up you can feel the power. I'm pleased with outcome and am listening closely for any leaks, which i'm sure i'll find.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #72
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Sweet!! Nice job!

1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #73
Northwest Outlaw

Name:  IMG_6650.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  62.6 KB
^Bright lights after replacing with some LED bulbs (http://a.co/7VMIsYI)

The alternator wasn't charging. It was only reading 11.9-12.5v at both the battery and alternator positive post. After making sure all my grounds were good, wiring was all going to the right places and doing a bunch of research i was able to find the problem. I'm using a Front Wiring harness for a 1963 truck since that's when they started using alternators. The firewall plug is the same so i was hoping that it would work seamlessly. Well the external voltage regulator needs a 12v feed from the ignition switch, this doesn't exist in the 1961 dash wiring harness, at least not on mine. So first i tried to make a patch of my own by running a wire from the Front Harness to the ignition switch. It gave the regulator power alright, enough to start it smoking after about 5 seconds when the key was turned to "On". In the end I figured that now that i knew what the issue was i should just go with what everyone told me to do in the first place. I picked up the internally regulated, single wire alternator and it works like a champ. After removing the now unnecessary alternator wires from the harness i wound it back up with electrical tape and you can't even tell it was modified.
Name:  IMG_6683.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  60.8 KB

With that problem fixed, i took the rest of Sunday afternoon and drove around the neighborhood. Driving video: https://youtu.be/tNjguboyxIs
She makes a lot of noises while driving, most of which is the bed hardware bouncing around but there are a few clanks and clunks that i'll be investigating. The exhaust note is really nice.
I have a month and a half to get ready for the first road trip, a 3 hour drive from Seattle to Manson, WA for their annual Rat Rod Show.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #74
Northwest Outlaw

Having a driver is so much more fun than the truck sitting in the garage!
I've been able run a few errands with her and its a blast, but the work is far from done. This pic is a recreation of the first time i had the truck at my parts shop, a year and eight months ago!
Name:  20170415.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  47.7 KB

With the new alternator i wanted to be able to monitor the charging system so I replaced the P.O.'s ammeter with a Sunpro Voltmeter. The dash cluster was already "modified" by one of the previous owners putting in Sunpro Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Ammeter gauges. The installation was less than good looking, making any new modification easy to swallow since i'm not ruining a good original piece. The truck did come with a spare cluster that is still stock and complete in case i ever want to go back to that. I also installed a Sunpro Super Tach II to keep an eye on the RPMs. I hung this from the bottom of the dash just under the ignition key and it's pretty well hidden when you look in the driver's window but easy to read while driving.
Name:  17965738_757447621073052_1860048561_n.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  22.2 KB

After installing and testing the new gauges, i lost my headlights! After some investigation i was able to trace the problem to a burnt out headlight switch. Hopefully it's a simple replacement and nothing else was hurt. I hear there is a "headlight relay mod" that a lot of people do to avoid this exact thing so i'll be researching that. While i was working on the lighting circuits i replaced a bunch of hack-job splices in the tail light harness and got my passenger side brake and signal light working.
Name:  IMG_6703.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #75
realvc

Way to go all round on your progress. Driving in your truck after all the time and effort to get it on the road again is a huge accomplishment.

I'm looking forward to getting mine on the road in the distant future.