The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Snake Eyes USA

Cant decide on Grant or OER steering wheel size and color. Need opinions/help.

Hello, Chevy Truck Family!

The 72 Cheyenne Super is finally road ready and just about ready to show off.
I need help on deciding what steering wheel to go with.
Ive nailed it down to two options. A Grant or an OER wheel.
I want it to match the Cheyenne wood grain dash as pictured.
Does this woodgrain have a color name or reference?
I cant tell if Grant wheel color Mahogany, or Light Walnut is the closest match to the dash woodgrain pictured. Anybody have an idea?
I also dont know if I should go with 14.5 or 16' inch steering wheel.
What are you size preferences and why?

OER Walnut- https://www.oerparts.com/product/*r6532.html

Grant Mahogany- http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/99/

Grant Light Walnut- http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/117/
Attached Images

Snake Eyes USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Scotts Elle

Re: Cant decide on Grant or OER steering wheel size and color. Need opinions/help.

I recently installed this Grant and love it. Very sporty but still looks like it belongs. I am completely restoring the interior at the moment so ignore the tired dash and gauges. The small diameter "feels" like I am more control. I love the look of wood.
Scotts Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
davepl

Re: Cant decide on Grant or OER steering wheel size and color. Need opinions/help.

OER by a mile. Looks stock, even though of course it never was. Others will not. Assuming you can get a GMC button for a Sprint or similar.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
jocko

My 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice would be the ones you have listed, and in that order. However, I personally don't think anything looks better in these trucks than the stock wheel. Original GM wheel quality is important as the aftermarket ones don't have a reinforcing rod. However, since you don't list that as an option I'll have to agree with Dave. OER are nice wheels and, of all the ones listed, look the most at home. Personally, if you like that one, I'd consider the black rimmed one, looks even more at home than the wood ones (to me). No wrong answers though!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Jcbsat

It's all about personal preference. A lot of people like original wheels, some like aftermarket, some like leter style wheels. For me, 16" wheels decrease leg room. The depth, or dish, of the wheel can make the cab seem VERY close, especially for us full figured guys. My preference is a GM Comfort Grip wheel, although they are thinner than I like. Dallassteeringwheel.com offers a similar wheel that is leather wrapped (see page 5, "1970 GM) that is my next purchase.
Jcbsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
Hotcorner

Original steering wheels are out of the question, right? I've heard the replicas ar super flexy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
Snake Eyes USA

What size is that wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts Elle View Post
I recently installed this Grant and love it. Very sporty but still looks like it belongs. I am completely restoring the interior at the moment so ignore the tired dash and gauges. The small diameter "feels" like I am more control. I love the look of wood.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
Snake Eyes USA

The 72 stock wheel is the two spoke. It doesnt WOW! me like previous years. I dont get much of the Chevy tough impression from it. Doesnt match the beast under the hood. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
My 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice would be the ones you have listed, and in that order. However, I personally don't think anything looks better in these trucks than the stock wheel. Original GM wheel quality is important as the aftermarket ones don't have a reinforcing rod. However, since you don't list that as an option I'll have to agree with Dave. OER are nice wheels and, of all the ones listed, look the most at home. Personally, if you like that one, I'd consider the black rimmed one, looks even more at home than the wood ones (to me). No wrong answers though!
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Snake Eyes USA

Size is somewhat a factor for me also. Currently have a 14 inch black Camaro wheel on there. Im 6'4 average build. Already have leg room issue regardless. This isnt a daily driver but a weekend cruiser and show truck.
Im a little concerned with the 16' wheel also.

I went and looked at that wheel from Dallas. Its nice. Not much detailed info. What size is that black leather wrapped wheel you mentioned? I also didnt see horn cap options. Id like to put this one as seen from OER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbsat View Post
It's all about personal preference. A lot of people like original wheels, some like aftermarket, some like leter style wheels. For me, 16" wheels decrease leg room. The depth, or dish, of the wheel can make the cab seem VERY close, especially for us full figured guys. My preference is a GM Comfort Grip wheel, although they are thinner than I like. Dallassteeringwheel.com offers a similar wheel that is leather wrapped (see page 5, "1970 GM) that is my next purchase.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
tlman

my wheel ,love it,grant
Attached Images

tlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
Mike C

If you want to run that horn cap, the OER is your choice. You may consider the '69 Camaro Comfort grip wheel which is the same 3 spoke design and uses same cap. That's what I run in multiple vehicles including my '79 CJ-5.

Buy the installation kit for a 67-68 Camaro as the same diameter column as the trucks (dash mounted ignition switch).
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
brihorse

1969 Camaro rosewood
Attached Images

brihorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
tlman

Nice
Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
Snake Eyes USA

Nice. Can you post a link to which model it is? What size is the wheel? What color?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlman View Post
my wheel ,love it,grant
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Snake Eyes USA

I only found it in black. Does it come in wood?

Is this what you have?
https://www.oerparts.com/product/3952700.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If you want to run that horn cap, the OER is your choice. You may consider the '69 Camaro Comfort grip wheel which is the same 3 spoke design and uses same cap. That's what I run in multiple vehicles including my '79 CJ-5.

Buy the installation kit for a 67-68 Camaro as the same diameter column as the trucks (dash mounted ignition switch).
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #16
Trackman101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brihorse View Post
1969 Camaro rosewood
......ok, who did your seats? That's almost exactly what I want to do to my bench. Same amount of bolster but maybe add some houndstooth
Trackman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
Scotts Elle

14.5"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Scotts Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #18
Jcbsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Eyes USA View Post
Size is somewhat a factor for me also. Currently have a 14 inch black Camaro wheel on there. Im 6'4 average build. Already have leg room issue regardless. This isnt a daily driver but a weekend cruiser and show truck.
Im a little concerned with the 16' wheel also.

I went and looked at that wheel from Dallas. Its nice. Not much detailed info. What size is that black leather wrapped wheel you mentioned? I also didnt see horn cap options. Id like to put this one as seen from OER.
I think these wheels are 15". As I recall, you can buy them outright or send in a Comfort Grip (or other wheel) as a core and they will recover it. Sending a core reduces the price somewhat. These are done in leather and they will do just about any color you want. The horn cap would have to be purchased elsewhere but they are readily available from any Chevy parts catalogue (Chevelle, Corvette, etc).
Jcbsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #19
Mike C

The ComfortGrip wheel is black rubber. You can get the Rosewood wheel as posted above, or 67-68 Walnut.

I think the ComfortGrip wheel is smaller in diameter than either of the wood wheels.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Check out the grant 930.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #21
tlman

that is the one I got ,they had to make it ,took almost two months to get to Canada ,but bot it for half price from warehouse, grant website double
Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
Jeff's bowtie's

I have the black comfort grip wheel in my 68 K/30 I really like it
Attached Images

Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #23
demian5

66 Corvette wood with 70 horn button.
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Snake Eyes USA

Is that the oer corvette wheel? Looks really close to the wood grain trim panels for the dash. Which do you think closest matches. Corvette wheel or oer walnut wheel?
What kit did you use to install? Did you get an aluminum or plastic steering wheel hub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
66 Corvette wood with 70 horn button.