The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #476
swyfor5

Re: My new build thread: Stage 4!

Oh man, got a fever, the K5 fever! Just ordered up 2 weld on shackle mounts for the rear bumper and 4 HD d rings for the front and rear bumpers! When they arrive I will have almost everything I need to have my rear bumper/tire carrier fabbed up. Oh, except maybe some cash to get it all done at once! Gotta talk to my bud about ordering up the tubing I need to weld up the spare tire carrier this weekend! Will post up some parts pic's when the stuff arrives!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #477
swyfor5

Waiting on AtoZ parts to arrive. Looked through my parts pile and found a real nice stock battery tray I picked up somewhere off ebay. It will clean up nice with a little sandblasting and fresh paint. Just need to find a stock auxilary battery tray for the winch battery. Got the new core support, so want it to look right and clean! I am going with optima or the like batteries, so am also looking at custom holddown brackets for the stock trays with that type of battery? Anybody got any pic's of red tops or the like bolted in?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #478
coggonobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Waiting on AtoZ parts to arrive. Looked through my parts pile and found a real nice stock battery tray I picked up somewhere off ebay. It will clean up nice with a little sandblasting and fresh paint. Just need to find a stock auxilary battery tray for the winch battery. Got the new core support, so want it to look right and clean! I am going with optima or the like batteries, so am also looking at custom holddown brackets for the stock trays with that type of battery? Anybody got any pic's of red tops or the like bolted in?
my red top bolted right in with stock hardware and held tight.

David
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #479
RossRinSD

Hey, is it really necessary to run a battery isolator with dual batteries? I've been told that they discharge each other??

Have you considered dual alternators, too? Is there a kit to do something like that?
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #480
coggonobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossRinSD View Post
Hey, is it really necessary to run a battery isolator with dual batteries? I've been told that they discharge each other??

Have you considered dual alternators, too? Is there a kit to do something like that?
NO You don't, tractors never have
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #481
swyfor5

Been saving this tip from Burt4x4, and am going this way when funds allow! Website is hellroaring.com Definitely going with that setup! Simple, but a little pricey, oh well! Actually went wheeling with the S10 today, down some trails I have'nt been down in about 25 years! FUN, FUN FUN! Weekend off for a change, must take the wife for a ride out there! Still waiting on AtoZ delivery of parts!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #482
swyfor5

Got the grass seed today, just waiting on the guy to drop the topsoil! A couple more days and the backfill will be done! Working on organizing all my tools so I can set up my shop.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #483
bigbadchev72
People know me

Can you get some pics of the backside of your bumper? I am gonna be making my own take on something similar. Is it one pice of steel bent at the angles or was it all welded out of seperate pieces? What thickness is it?

The shop looks awesome! You are gonna wish you made it bigger by the time you start tearing your k5 apart. I swear these things grow 3 times there size when taken apart!
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #484
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
my red top bolted right in with stock hardware and held tight.

David
X2, will get pics when I get home, course I havent had it upside down yet

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #485
swyfor5

Bbc72, Kennesaw front bumper I have-the Wincher. Winch box area is made of 1/4" steel, and has 3/16" formed wings on the outside corners. I still need to have the smaller front tubes redone to my liking. Kyle did ending up sending me the correct tubes, I just have to cut the ones off and weld on the new ones. Here's some pic's of the back of the wincher for ya!Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 001.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 002.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 003.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 004.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 005.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #486
swyfor5

Here's a few more!Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 006.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 007.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 008.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  kennesaw mtn bumper 009.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  36.4 KB
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #487
RossRinSD

Thanks for the pics, I've studied there website pics since you posted the link. Those rear pics help a lot. I picked up 188lbs of 1/4 inch plate yesterday with the intention of building one very similer. I also used your other vendro AtoZ and ordered clevis mounts, and a couple of clevis, too.
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #488
swyfor5

Thinking of having my fab buddy box the outer edges of the bumper up on the inside, will make it stouter! Also some bracing supports around the winch box! Also gonna drill 2 holes in the top of it for my KC off road lights! Hope the pic's help, just don't buy one from Kennesaw mtn acc!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #489
swyfor5

Got my first order in from AtoZ fab, the spindle/carrier spare tire mount kit, it is real beefy,am happy with it. Waiting on the next order, shackle mounts for the rear bumper fab up and etc! Got a boost from my Dad today, more funds from the Pontiac sales! Oh ya, I am on a roll now! Will post up some pic's of new parts asap!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #490
swyfor5

Got the second order from AtoZ today. Gotta say, some nice stuff, just as listed on thier website. Quick shipping with USPS too, I like that! Looks like I may have to buy some more stuff from Zack! Will post up some pic's tommorrow night.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #491
swyfor5

Really looking at the Painless wiring harnesses. Anybody installed the Painless 18 circuit GM truck wiring harness on a first gen K5 lately? It looks like a perfect fit for my project and real simple to install too. Kinda pricey, but really don't want to rely on the old wiring to power my resto. Could buy and install replacement original type wiring setups, but Painless looks like the way to upgrade. Any feedback?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #492
swyfor5

Oh Man, can't stop now, just ordered up a 2" weld on recevier tube for the rear bumper fab! Might as well weld up a custom trailer hitch at the same time! Also from AtoZ!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #493
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Really looking at the Painless wiring harnesses. Anybody installed the Painless 18 circuit GM truck wiring harness on a first gen K5 lately? It looks like a perfect fit for my project and real simple to install too. Kinda pricey, but really don't want to rely on the old wiring to power my resto. Could buy and install replacement original type wiring setups, but Painless looks like the way to upgrade. Any feedback?
I had (sold it because I needed the money) an american autowire harness that looked very similar to painless and had same markings every few inches or so on the wires...and was a lot cheaper than the painless one...the universal kits are even cheaper but will take a little more time to install....
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #494
swyfor5

Thank's VA! I will look into that. I have been hauling black topsoil for two days trying to finish off the backfill on the barn. 1 more night and I'll have it ready to seed! Looking real good, gotta get the seed started before it really freezes here good. Should be done by saturday!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #495
swyfor5

Oh man, black dirt is down! Seed this weekend and done! Waiting on reciever for rear bumper and should be set for the fab up this fall! Work sure gets in the way of everything!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #496
bigbadchev72
People know me

I have installed 3 different wiring harnesses in my trucks so far. A painless, ez wire, and a summit brand one.

I personally think the painless is overpriced and the only thing you gain is the firewall bulkhead is 3 piece like the factory one. I really like the EZ wire one I installed in the 67, it is like the Summit one and does not have a bulkhead connector and gives a cleaner install. I filled in the factory hole for the fuseblock and then drilled a 1" hole in its place with a bushing for all the engine compartment wires to pass through.

The bad thing is if I wanted to pull the front clip, you would have to unplug all the connectors. I dont really like the summit one since I got the one with the mini fuses and the diagram of what fuses are where is on the lid, a real pain when I accidently mis-placed it.

All of them have labeling on the wires every foot, and were pretty much identical other than the fuseblock unbolting on the painless.

All were made with quality wire.
Dont think that the painless is a plug and play like I originally thought. It is just like the other 3 brands I installed, they leave all the wires long and all have to be trimmed down to fit exact. All light sockets have to be installed, I think all that comes with them is the headlight pigtails and the headlight switch pigtail. All the ignition, gauges, heater, side marker, turn signal, tailight sockets and other misc connectors off the original harness have to be used.

Just dont throw out your factory harness until you have 100% installed your new one, you have to re-use the heater wiring, wipers and some misc. I soldered all connections and heat-shrinked them. If I were to install another on I would go with the EZwire as it is a little under $200 vs the $500 for a painless.

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels

Last edited by bigbadchev72; 09-16-2011 at 10:48 PM.
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #497
swyfor5

Thank's bbc! That wiring info helps.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #498
swyfor5

8 lbs of grass seed and 2 bales of straw later- it's done! 3 days of hauling topsoil, and etc., Just running the sprinkler now to water it down! YAAAA! Pole barn is good to go for the winter! Moved the silk fence from the river side to the top just to keep my 2 German shepards off the seed till it get it stabilized. Can't wait till it starts sprouting up, hopefully before it really freezes here! I will try to post some pic's up tommorow after work and the Lions game!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #499
swyfor5

Too busy watching football and buying stuff today after work. Back on 10 hour days tommorrow, oh boy! Parts pile is getting bigger everyday!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #500
swyfor5

Got the weld in reciever today! Looks good. Just need to have my friend John order up the steel to put it all together. He should be getting laid off for the winter soon and be back in his shop wrenching!