The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: I have $2000, looking for a complete airbag kit

mikey882 your entitled to your opinion, and we appreciate your input. When you throw the "minitrucker" moniker out there, you have to know from experience that the vast majority of the "minitrucker" builds are done with very little money, limited knowledge, minimal patience, and a lack of concern for safety.

I am not trying to be critical of anyone that currently is, or ever has been a "minitrucker" as I myself have owned a few so I speak from experience. What I was pointing out is we grew up, got better jobs, and had families. Now we can afford to buy quality components rather than Craigslist left overs, and we don't need to prove ourselves to anyone.

The truck and owner mentioned in another post that goes by the name of Hazel is a perfect example. Keith was a broke @ss "minitrucker" just like me when I first met him. He had above average fab skills at the time, yet he still saw the value in having items that were bought on his ride to make it stand out. It became a award winning truck and set the level forbuilds of its time.

Today he is a few years older and making a very comfortable living. He has mad fabrications skills, and a full service hot rod shop to work in. Even with that, he still sees the value in using prefabbed components. His truck is filled with many one off items that he designed and built, but takes no shame in bolting on a quality made suspension kit.
The awards and press coverage prove it to be a successful formula.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
mikey882

I completely agree with you.

I would take it a step further to say that, at least in the early days of custom air suspension, most of the research and development was done in minitrucks or by "minitruckers". I remember the days of when 18s were massive wheels and 20s were almost something from a fairy tale. Air shocks were used and there weren't many options out there for lowering components let alone adjustable suspension parts. Since then, bags have been designed, redesigned, and duplicated dozens of times over. The wonderful s10 platform has about a bazillion different air suspension parts designed for it. Most don't cut the mustard in my opinion but there are some gems out there.

I guess at some point there is a series of questions a builder asks himself......starting with "how far?"

Meaning.....I want this truck to lay hard.....just bags front and back won't be enough.
Z the front frame and shorten the center section? Still ugly in back......
Why don't I just build new from the firewall back? then I've still got ugly in front.
Here's where a PB/dropmember saves a lot of time in a truly crazy build. I'd go for it.
Are there other possibilities though? Absolutely.

Over a decade has passed since I built a camaro...... I was gonna do the typical lowering coils and other odds and ends. But I wanted different. Better and different. The car ended up with every possible polyurethane replacement, brake upgrades, sticky tires, and a MONOLEAF front set up. Yes monoleaf.

Best handling car I've ever driven and most "car" people at the average car show had no idea what they were looking at.

To summarize......pre fab has its place. I give companies like porterbuilt a lot of credit for the name they have made for themselves. They have done a lot of the hard work already and will save a builder a TON of time. Whether its a 100% stock truck or a cover truck.....it makes a lot of sense when time is short. Truly standing out from the rest of the elite builds is a different story. Cutting edge designs, revolutionary ideas, and being unique.
Posted via Mobile Device
mikey882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
CHRIS LUCKYMAN

I owned, managed, and worked in a restoration shop for 7 years until last year, and have come across the attitude of "built, not bought" many times. Sometimes it was from one of my employees. I would tell them that if it wasn't for guys that couldn't (or wouldn't) do it themselves, then we would be out of business. There's no shame in paying someone to do work to your car if you don't have the time, or don't have the knowledge.

I've also heard this attitude at car shows - I've noticed that it usually comes from the guys with a "less than perfect" car - there's orange peel all over the paint, but "I did it myself in my garage"... its used as an excuse for poor work done to the car. Black spray paint over brake backing plates, nasty wiring, poorly upholstered seats... I see it all the time, even on this forum. Sure, you CAN do it, but if it looks amateur, poorly finished or poorly thought out, then MAYBE you shouldn't.

No one can do everything themselves - do you do your own machining on engines? Do you cast/CNC your own wheels? Do you sew your own interiors? I do all of my own sheetmetal fab/rust repair/bodywork/prep/paint on my cars, I also do all of the assembly/disassembly/wiring/mechanics (aside from opening up an engine case) and most upholstery, but if there's something that will make my life easier, I go for it. There's no shame in buying a setup/paint/bodywork/engine if the price is right, and it is nicer than what you could have done.

Just my opinion, of course.
CHRIS LUCKYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
mikey882

Well said sir

Again.....I'm not arguing the purchase of parts.

Just stating the desire to be different
Posted via Mobile Device
mikey882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
dgreen

so....um what air ride setup you going for ?
dgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
CHRIS LUCKYMAN

Well... I looked at the suggestions on this thread, and I couldn't find a "kit" that had everything I wanted, so I'm going to piece it together. I think it'll be less expensive this way, and I can install exactly what I need. I spent a few hours last night learning everything I could about air ride setups for these trucks, and it isn't as difficult or complicated as I thought... I still have some to learn, but have a good start. If interested, I'll post up the parts/pieces I order for reference when I get them.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #32
Pro Performance

I just put together an air management kit that has the selectable options depending if you want a 3/8" or 1/2" system. With this kit, you can get everything you need and only need to add the suspension components you want, such as bags, 4-link, etc.

Pro2 Air Management Kit
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
dgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS LUCKYMAN View Post
Well... I looked at the suggestions on this thread, and I couldn't find a "kit" that had everything I wanted, so I'm going to piece it together. I think it'll be less expensive this way, and I can install exactly what I need. I spent a few hours last night learning everything I could about air ride setups for these trucks, and it isn't as difficult or complicated as I thought... I still have some to learn, but have a good start. If interested, I'll post up the parts/pieces I order for reference when I get them.
AWESOME!
dgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
Pro Performance

You just posted that as I was typing. Keep us posted either way, and start a build thread.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #35
CHRIS LUCKYMAN

Thanks for posting that kit, looks like it covers a lot of parts needed.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
Realnoisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey882 View Post
A personal friend of mine just got a smoking good deal from Sonny @ Newmatics in TX. I don't have any personal experiences with him......but I figured I would pass on the info.

He bought a full kit for a 64 coupe Deville
Posted via Mobile Device
Mikey, I checked with Newmatics. Sunny made me a great deal for $1000.00. I received all parts within 2 days, packaged perfect, and the technical support is excellent! Thank you for the referral.
Realnoisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #37
1964Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
They grew up, got better jobs and now have a family that requires some of their time. Since they are making better money they can now afford quality aftermaket components rather than risk their families safety on cobbled together backyard budget builds.
Ain't that the truth!!