The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
skyphix

1980 Steering shaft and Power to Manual Conversion

Hey all,
After a recent road trip, the steering system is something I've got to address. I chewed up a brand new power steering pump - 3rd one in last couple of months - and I am looking to convert to manual steering rather than fighting with power steering. I am comfortable not having power brakes or power steering.

In addition to that, it looks to me like I lost a bushing in the intermediate steering shaft (or thats what I'm calling it.)

And here's a video of what its doing. The connection is still good but it does make quite a bit of noise even driving straight down the road as you can imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myfm5-T7gnA

I believe what's gone bad is whats labeled "Seal" in this image.

1) Does anyone know a source for that part, or if thats even the right part that would fix the issue in my video?

2) When converting to a manual steering box, do I need to use a different intermediate shaft type or length? Factory service manual doesnt specify.

3) The only thing I can find is aftermarket adjustable steering shafts - anyone used these? It would potentially solve BOTH of my issues if the length is different since they're all adjustable from what I can find. Just need to do the right spline size and count.

Thanks for any help - much appreciated.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
nonstop

Re: 1980 Steering shaft and Power to Manual Conversion

Look up Cherokee steering shaft conversion. Gets rid of all of that slip shaft and rag joint stuff. I’m not sure if it will fit a manual box though. What is happening to your pumps? Why not have it rebuilt by a reputable shop instead of doing the whole manual conversion?
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Look up Cherokee steering shaft conversion. Gets rid of all of that slip shaft and rag joint stuff. I’m not sure if it will fit a manual box though. What is happening to your pumps? Why not have it rebuilt by a reputable shop instead of doing the whole manual conversion?

I'll see if I can find something on the cherokee conversion - thanks! I saw a bunch of jeep intermediate shafts but hadnt heard of a conversion.
EDIT: Found a great write-up with Video for anyone else. Just need to call the local u-pull and see if they have any jeeps there that still have this part. http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/...aft-conversion

After more thinking I'm going to keep the power steering - this is the first pump I've had fail on it - it was failed when the previous owner owned it, he swapped on a reman and it was failed out of the box, and this one failed at about 1000 miles. It wasn't low on fluid until it started leaking AFTER it started failing. It feels like the pump starts to cut out almost as if the pump impeller/whatever creates the pressure skips on the pully shaft until it starts grinding, whining, and makng all kinds of bad crunching noises. I am going to try one more reman and if that one fails too, I'll either rebuild it myself or try to find a shop to do it - not much in the way of specialty shops up here in Maine so if there is a mailorder one I'm all ears. I know from my 4runner the parts store ones aren't exactly the best.

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited by skyphix; 10-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
skyphix

So, since I decided to keep the power steering, I started doing a little digging again now that the truck is on the road. I'm not going to replace the power steering pump at this time since the LS Im getting has one that I'll use instead - I need to flush the steering box some how and then install some PS fluid filters to keep from killing the one on the LS.

I also started to dig into doing the XJ steering shaft swap. Turns out, that wont fix the issue in the video posted above. It replaces everything AFTER that. I am still looking to replace the bushing/seal in the tail end (inside the engine bay) of the steering column where the upper and lower steering shafts actually connect, above whats labeled "sleeve" in the diagram from my service manual. Any suggestions? I know Ecklers makes a bushing repair kit but it seems like thats for where the steering column goes through the firewall NOT where I need it, but I could be wrong. I'll give them a call to find out.

Anyone else that has any input, I welcome it. Its one of the things on my list of stuff to fix even though its not critical at the moment.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
So, since I decided to keep the power steering, I started doing a little digging again now that the truck is on the road. I'm not going to replace the power steering pump at this time since the LS Im getting has one that I'll use instead - I need to flush the steering box some how and then install some PS fluid filters to keep from killing the one on the LS.

I also started to dig into doing the XJ steering shaft swap. Turns out, that wont fix the issue in the video posted above. It replaces everything AFTER that. I am still looking to replace the bushing/seal in the tail end (inside the engine bay) of the steering column where the upper and lower steering shafts actually connect, above whats labeled "sleeve" in the diagram from my service manual. Any suggestions? I know Ecklers makes a bushing repair kit but it seems like thats for where the steering column goes through the firewall NOT where I need it, but I could be wrong. I'll give them a call to find out.

Anyone else that has any input, I welcome it. Its one of the things on my list of stuff to fix even though its not critical at the moment.
The Jeep U-Joint shaft replaces everything between the stub end of the steering column main shaft that protrudes from the column housing to the piece that slips over the splined stub on top of the steering box.
If you have a rag joint or slip joint problem the XJ shaft fixes them.

You can buy Borgeson steering shaft parts and weld up your own custom steering shaft if that floats your boat.

Magnefine makes stainless steel body inline power steering filters that fit in the return lines.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 10-22-2018 at 04:27 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The Jeep U-Joint shaft replaces everything between the stub end of the steering column main shaft that protrudes from the column housing to the piece that slips over the splined stub on top of the steering box.
If you have a rag joint or slip joint problem the XJ shaft fixes them.

My issue is right where this red arrow points. I can tell there is a piece of plastic in there, but no bushing or anything:

I have the 1980 Service Manual and it doesn't mention anything specifically for right there so I'm unsure why it flops around like it does (video showing whats happening in my first post.) It could be that the bushing kit from Ekerts is the right thing. If the XJ conversion will work on a pre 1981 steering column, then I am all for that - a lot cheaper and easier than the universals or welding up my own. First time I've ever seen this specific thing happen with this style steering system and I am far from the best or most knowledgeable mechanic. I might just have to tear into it and see what I see.

Quote:
Magnefine makes stainless steel body inline power steering filters that fit in the return lines.
This is awesome - thank you. I'm thinking debris from the 38 year old gear box is killing the brand new pumps. Like I said for the next few weeks I am just driving it (With fluid in it) like its got manual steering (pump is hooked up but no belt to keep the fluid in tact and some lubrication in the steering box.)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
hatzie

Quote:
My issue is right where this red arrow points. I can tell there is a piece of plastic in there, but no bushing or anything:

I have the 1980 Service Manual and it doesn't mention anything specifically for right there so I'm unsure why it flops around like it does (video showing whats happening in my first post.) It could be that the bushing kit from Ekerts is the right thing. If the XJ conversion will work on a pre 1981 steering column, then I am all for that - a lot cheaper and easier than the universals or welding up my own. First time I've ever seen this specific thing happen with this style steering system and I am far from the best or most knowledgeable mechanic. I might just have to tear into it and see what I see.

This is awesome - thank you. I'm thinking debris from the 38 year old gear box is killing the brand new pumps. Like I said for the next few weeks I am just driving it (With fluid in it) like its got manual steering (pump is hooked up but no belt to keep the fluid in tact and some lubrication in the steering box.)
Download the 79-84 parts and illustration books. Look in my signature...
You'll find detailed blowups of the steering column in the illustration book.
If there's only one part number for the covered production run the part number will be in the illustration parts list.
If there are several there will be a chapter and section number separated by a period...
Chapter 4 section 138 would be listed as 4.138...
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 10-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
sweetk30

the bad bearing / bushing in the end of the steering column . if thats bad there is also a jeep part from the late 70's to 80's jeeps cj style that used saginaw parts . its a new bottom retainer / clip / white nylon bushing for this area .

i use to have the web site / part # years ago but my computer died some time back and lost it .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Download the 79-84 parts and illustration books. Look in my signature...
You'll find detailed blowups of the steering column in the illustration book.
If there's only one part number for the covered production run the part number will be in the illustration parts list.
If there are several there will be a chapter and section number separated by a period...
Chapter 4 section 138 would be listed as 4.138...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
the bad bearing / bushing in the end of the steering column . if thats bad there is also a jeep part from the late 70's to 80's jeeps cj style that used saginaw parts . its a new bottom retainer / clip / white nylon bushing for this area .

i use to have the web site / part # years ago but my computer died some time back and lost it .

This is why I love this forum. Thanks to both of you!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
skyphix

Using Hatzie's awesome guidance, I looked at the illustrations and parts guide. Unfortunately, while the illustrations show a part number for the G Series vans, there is no part number for the CK series trucks.

This is the G Series Column in the appropriate spot

This is the CK series column in the appropriate spot

However, I talked to Ecklers and confirmed that this part
https://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-...1969-1995.html

Indeed addresses the area I am having the issue. The G series bearing repair kit is only $20... the one time I wish I had a van over my truck

Thanks again to everyone for their help
Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
sweetk30

found it again . Crown Automotive 4487696K Steering Shaft Bearing Kit

and if you like amazon https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automot...WRYT63QNZ0M432

ebay that # cheepest is 23 bucks shipped.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
skyphix

Quote:
found it again . Crown Automotive 4487696K Steering Shaft Bearing Kit

and if you like amazon https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automot...WRYT63QNZ0M432

ebay that # cheepest is 23 bucks shipped.
Thank you! I actually ordered it after you mentioned it the other day, just forgot to post the part number! I got it in the mail just havent had a chance to install it. I got it from Amazon because prime means free shipping.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
sweetk30

well all i can say is .

if your tilt is wobbly / loose . FIX it quickly .

lucky mine was basicly all good on this truck i got but the tilt was so wobbly it bent the ignition sector unit . it was popping off the rod and the key would just move with no power switch movement . had this thing apart 6 or so times now and replaced it with a better sector and even had to tweek that one for true flat to stay in place and on the rod .

here is a good link i found with tons or color pics . http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
skyphix

Quote:
well all i can say is .

if your tilt is wobbly / loose . FIX it quickly .

lucky mine was basicly all good on this truck i got but the tilt was so wobbly it bent the ignition sector unit . it was popping off the rod and the key would just move with no power switch movement . had this thing apart 6 or so times now and replaced it with a better sector and even had to tweek that one for true flat to stay in place and on the rod .

here is a good link i found with tons or color pics . http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

The one part of my truck that feels solid and not worn out is the tilt column lol. I'm pretty confident it's not the original column to the truck and at least that part of it is in really good shape thankfully. Sounds like you've had a fun time with yours!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
sweetk30

Quote:
. Sounds like you've had a fun time with yours!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=755514