The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
Sklptrljay

Re: Replaced weatherstripping and can barely close the door!

I have some push-ins I took from a 95' (or around there) Tahoe, and they definitely make it hard to shut. It is getting better though over time.

I read somewhere that if you get some from a Dodge truck ( I think 90's to 00's) they tend to fit our trucks very well.
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #27
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
I have some push-ins I took from a 95' (or around there) Tahoe, and they definitely make it hard to shut. It is getting better though over time.

I read somewhere that if you get some from a Dodge truck ( I think 90's to 00's) they tend to fit our trucks very well.

'87 - '97 Dodge Dakota.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I bought the GMCPaul ones about three years ago or so. It took about 2 years of hot summers to loosen up. I moved the striker plate out slightly and that helped so I didn't have to slam the door real hard to shut it. It is now easy to close the door.

One thing I found out is that if I slowly close the door to within 6 inches to a foot and then pushed hard, it lessened the effort. I suppose it had to do with the tighter seals and this allowed cab air to escape first.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Lees68GMC

Maybe this is a stupid question but, in the door rubber install instructions it says to cut a large "V" shape out where you join the ends of the rubber gasket under the sill plate. This is supposedly to allow air in and to be pushed out of the interior lining (tubing) of the rubber gasket when you open and close the doors.

Just Thinking
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
kxmotox247

I recieved a very thorough response from Paul at GMC pauls. I'll have to ask his permission to post it here but it sort of addresses everything mentioned above. In my case, I left the weather stripping off the rocker completely and there is no glass in the door so I can't imagine its trapped air in the weatherstripping or cab.
Paul was confident that the weatherstripping would soften up and it would get better with time. I'll probably move the front of the door out and shim the fenders out to match as long as it doesn't leave me with an unsightly gap at the cowl.
The push on seals look nice... and no doubt I'll get a good seal. But I'm not sure my 5 year old daughter is going to be able to close the door for another 2 years or more. I'll be working on mine in the next few days and will update when I move the door out.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Paul was confident that the weatherstripping would soften up and it would get better with time. I'll probably move the front of the door out and shim the fenders out to match as long as it doesn't leave me with an unsightly gap at the ....
Before you go through all that trouble on my post above I mentioned moving the striker plate on the door column. That will be the easiest thing to try first and mine doesn't look that far out of alignment.

Re. softening... I don't think it really softens, at least not noticeably. I think what happens is that it conforms to the door.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
leddzepp

I used GMC Paul's press on seals. Fit great, nice and tight. I will never use glue on OEM style again.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 AM   #33
SonomaComa

Is there any videos available for installing weather stripping on 67-72 GM pickups? I Just purchased a 1970 GMC C-20 and it does not have any weather stripping on the doors. I purchased some weather stripping from Classic Industries, http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...rts/w9009.html But I had one friend tell me to glue it to the Door itself and not to the Door Frame on the Cab.
SonomaComa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:40 AM   #34
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
'87 - '97 Dodge Dakota.

LockDoc
I believe 87-96.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #35
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaComa View Post
Is there any videos available for installing weather stripping on 67-72 GM pickups? I Just purchased a 1970 GMC C-20 and it does not have any weather stripping on the doors. I purchased some weather stripping from Classic Industries, http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...rts/w9009.html But I had one friend tell me to glue it to the Door itself and not to the Door Frame on the Cab.

You can't do that on these trucks, it has to fit over the pinch weld on the cab.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #36
NoNeck

We had the same problem on our last truck. It did get a little better over time, but we still had to really slam the door. A friend of mine who owns a body shop suggested that we drill small holes about 6" apart into the rubber. He said that this would allow more air to escape when the door is first closed. Most newer cars and trucks use the perforated weatherstrip (see pic). I realize that the weatherstrip in the photo is GLUED TO THE DOOR, rather than in the pinch weld. But the principal should be the same.

It sounds reasonable, but I don't know if it works or not. The truck was sold before we were able to try it. Just an idea...
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #37
leftybass209

So I've been using the GMCPauls press-on weatherstripping for over a year and a half. Yes, it gets better, no the doors will never shut like new doors they will always need a firm slam.

I don't like it, and I'll be looking for a less firm weatherstrip to experiment. The stuff on my dad's 55 is soft, thin, and may work.

I find the issue with mine is the area next to the dash. That's the place it first contacts, and the place where it distorts the most. One idea I had was to slice the inside edge of that area so it would collapse easier. I won't do it until I have another weatherstripping though.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #38
HeavyD

Sooooo....no matter what we use the doors, even after the rubber "softens" will alwAys need to be slammed? Theres no replacement available that works correctly?

No wonder the patina/do the drivetrain, leave the body as is trend is so popular. They just roll as is with no worries about fitment of parts..
Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #39
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Sooooo....no matter what we use the doors, even after the rubber "softens" will alwAys need to be slammed? Theres no replacement available that works correctly?

No wonder the patina/do the drivetrain, leave the body as is trend is so popular. They just roll as is with no worries about fitment of parts..
I went through the same BS on my farm truck. What annoys me is that you never have this problem with new cars or putting new weatherstrip on late model stuff. Can you imagine if you bought a new Yukon and they said "you're going to have to slam the doors for a while."

And one of the best parts of this patina thing that I am happily part of is it minimizes aftermarket sheetmetal so fitment is better.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #40
Greenlee

Move the striker out a bit. When the rubber loosens up, adjust it back in. I replaced all the rubber door seals on my 83' and have adjusted the striker several times. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #41
kxmotox247

I tried the GMC pauls weatherstripping but refuse to slam the doors on my truck.

I ended up using Soft Seal weatherstripping and was really happy with it.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:34 PM   #42
leddzepp

Used Dakota seals worked great on my 68. Broken in already, no need to slam the door. Every truck will have different results from what I have read

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #43
volksworld

clicked on this and got to see my post from 2 yrs ago...the pathetic part is life got in the way,haven't touched the truck,and the seals are still taped in place...oh well....the good news is after being forced closed for about three years i can finally open and close my vent windows normally

Last edited by volksworld; 10-31-2015 at 08:12 PM.
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #44
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
I tried the GMC pauls weatherstripping but refuse to slam the doors on my truck.

I ended up using Soft Seal weatherstripping and was really happy with it.
Those glue or snap in?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #45
kxmotox247

Glue on. Summit racing had them in stock.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #46
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks
Old 10-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #47
HeavyD

Did the soft seal require much door abuse?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 PM   #48
ckhd

I had the same problem when I did my '68. I took a heat gun, and at the front of the door, there is a solid section. I used a heat gun to soften this piece, then shut the door and let it cool. Did that several times and it got to where I could stand to slam it. It has also 'broke in' over the last few years too.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #49
Sparky dave

I bought the ones with the mounded corners and paid extra for the privilege! Tried everything and they are miles off. Done all my bodywork now so no way going to slam my arse into the door to shut it ( which is what’s needed) I’ve cut away material on the hinge side which helped but now looks **** so they are going in the bin. Wish everyone could get together and stop people selling this junk that’s not fit for purpose. Ok Dave now breath! Sorry guys I’m spitting feathers here! Going to try find the 09 civic ones as mentioned. Thanks for the good info. Peace out
Sparky dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #50
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky dave View Post
I bought the ones with the mounded corners and paid extra for the privilege! Tried everything and they are miles off. Done all my bodywork now so no way going to slam my arse into the door to shut it ( which is what’s needed) I’ve cut away material on the hinge side which helped but now looks **** so they are going in the bin. Wish everyone could get together and stop people selling this junk that’s not fit for purpose. Ok Dave now breath! Sorry guys I’m spitting feathers here! Going to try find the 09 civic ones as mentioned. Thanks for the good info. Peace out
I just bought and installed the new altman (bearclaw) latches from trique manufacturing on my 70. You have to do some significant (and scary) cutting to install but they are otherwise bolt-in and work really well. I've got a couple pics and a video clip on my IG page.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote