The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #2826
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
someone has done a timing chain change on that motor. gm used nylon coated upper gears for many years which ended up cracking.

my original chain was way more stretched than yours.
I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure
Gregski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #2827
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
No, I already went further than planned by removing the bell housing, clutch, and fly wheel

I am just going to pretend all that is just good, ha ha
I am planning pretty much the same job as you are doing. Mine needs a cam. It has a bad lobe. It is also one of those "no rev" RV cams. I hate those cams. So we have at the ready, a decent Crane cam (fairly tame), gear drive, a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads, Harland Sharp roller rockers, New Edelbrock intake, NOS Holley 780cfm, NOS Vintage cal custom valve covers and a host of other support parts to go with it. I want my Rat to scream I would have done this in July or August but my back has been out since June. Just this month it has finally felt better enough to start projects on my truck again.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #2828
Titomars

Quote:
I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure
From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #2829
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
I began wondering how and why the transmission was leaking down my shirtsleeve to my elbow when I wasn't under the darn thing. It was me leaking red stuff from a pretty nasty gash in my arm that didn't bleed immediately when I bashed it on something sharp . It wasn't Dexron II.
I had the opposite experience once, long time ago. Changing trans fluid and filter and old roommate wandered onto the driveway (not car savvy). Half of my upper body was red with Dexron. I rolled out from under the truck and said Hey man, could you give me a hand? Sent him into a panic.

Greg, you've covered many pages since I checked in. Nice work! I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #2830
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far
the general consensus among my self proclaimed "car expert" buddies is that this truck may have indeed only had 35,000 miles on it and not 135K or even 235K since it was a straight up farm truck, either way it don't matter now
Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #2831
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
...I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.
thanks, I love that summary!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #2832
Gregski
Post Whore

Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Last edited by Gregski; 03-05-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #2833
Gregski
Post Whore

somehow I decided to press on

got the passenger side motor mount off, had to excavate the bolt heads to even be able to get the socket on them, they had that much farm crust on them
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #2834
Gregski
Post Whore

on to the other side, the driver motor mount

observation, the passenger side has the nut welded on to it, the driver side do not
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #2835
Gregski
Post Whore

spuned her upside down for a looksie

pics sorta blurry, apologies

man I can't wait to get that fugly orange off of her
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #2836
Gregski
Post Whore

these are the numbers off the stock cam 2944 and GM12 and K80 (not sure about the last one)

I can't find any info for that type of cam anywheres except some dude claiming it was a performance cam on eBay that he sold of $18 bucks, LOL
Old 03-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #2837
Brent7654

Haven't kept up with the forum in a while but junk the stock cam for a slightly More modern version.
What's your plan for the motor?
If you stay flat tappet, on a budget go with a summit tight lobe seperation cam, they are the older but more modern than your stock cam.
JMO,
Brent
Brent7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #2838
rich weyand

Comp Cams 12-235-2 or 12-231-2.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #2839
Front Range

Quote:

You ever feel like that?

Your ability to cope without frustration will get better as you get older and the challenges get harder.

When you get a call at 2am to bail them out of jail, when they move home for a few months in their 20's or 30's, when they go through a divorce and your Grandchild is in the middle, or anytime they do something unwise that you end up fixing - you'll remember fondly the days when running a taxi service was the only requirement.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #2840
D13

Quote:
Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Many times over the past 35 years. At one point I sold all my projects from high school, college, and first 10 years of work time frame since I simply was never going to get to them.
But, my kids and wife know that I will ALWAYS be there to support them (note: not DO for them, support them as THEY do). As I watch them fly, it was worth 20 years of fitting my hobby in the little spots between. Frustrating, yes, I've been working on a simple tractor redo for almost 20 years, as other things rise up above it in priority. But prioritizing family before all else was part of saying 'I Do' and all that has followed. Trucks will always be important but "all true wealth is biological".
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #2841
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent7654 View Post
Haven't kept up with the forum in a while but junk the stock cam for a slightly More modern version.
What's your plan for the motor?
If you stay flat tappet, on a budget go with a summit tight lobe seperation cam, they are the older but more modern than your stock cam.
JMO,
Brent
I know this thread is huge but in post # 2743 I list the 350 HO Engine Specifications (19210007) I plan to follow

Last edited by Gregski; 03-11-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #2842
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
Family first
true
Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #2843
Gregski
Post Whore

I know doing a job like this is a massive undertaking so today since I couldn't work on the truck I made a list of most of the things need doing, before I even start the re assembly process, I share this with you for two reasons, 1. to acknowledge just how much stuff goes into this type of job, and 2. to keep me honest and ensure I get it done

0. make this list
1. clean engine block
2. clean new used vortec cylinder heads (pics coming soon)
3. clean new used vortec intake manifold (pics coming soon)
4. clean K member
5. clean new used radiator support
6. clean motor mounts
7. clean water pump pulley
8. clean crank pulley
9. clean harmonic ballancer
10. clean new used vortec valve covers (pics coming soon)
11. clean timing cover
12. clean oil pan (again)
13. clean new used trans cover (pics coming soon)
14. clean new used trans cross member (pics coming soon)
15. clean new used overdrive transmission (pics coming soon)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
16. paint engine block
17. paint new used cylinder heads
18. paint timing cover
19. paint new mid mount alternator bracket (pics coming soon)
20. paint water pump pulley
21. paint crank pulley
22. paint fan
23. paint harmonic ballancer
24. paint motor mounts
25. paint K member
26. paint new used trans cross member
27. paint new used trans cover
28. paint new used radiator support
29. paint lower grille panel
30. paint chrome trim on grille black

man I wish this forum had strike through text so that as I complete these tasks I could cross them out, know what I mean
Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 AM   #2844
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty - Budget Top End Build

MY BUDGET TOP END UPGRADE COST
---This Page Will Be Updated Over Time---

____________PART________________PART #___________MAKE_______________________COMMENT __________________PRICE

Vortec Cylinder Heads - - - - - - - - - - - - 12558062 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $88

Vortec Dual Plane Intake Manifold * - - - - 12366573 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - Used eBay - - - - - - - - - - - $127 => $167 with shipping

Center Bolt Valve Covers ** - - - - - - - - 12355350 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $21

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - - - - - - 24502476 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - New JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $109

24 Hydraulic Lifters (8 extra) - - - - - - - - 5232720 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $95

20 Pushrods (4 extra) - - - - - - - - - - - - 14095256 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $147

Crankshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10128346 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $31

Camshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 340235 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $46

Timing Chain - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14087014 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $44

Timing Cover Gasket- - - - - - - - - - - - - 10108435 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $3

Valve Seals - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10212810 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $13

Valve Cover Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - - 10046089 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $26

Head Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10105117 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $38

Intake Manifold Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - 1255 - - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $23

Water Pump Gaskets - - - -- - - - - - - - - - 5152 - - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AutoZone- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $3

Thermostat Gasket - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - 35062 - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AutoZone- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $2

========================================================================= TOTAL $857

* new Intake Manifold is required because the Vortec cylinder heads have a different valley angle

** new Valve Covers are required because the Vortec cylinder heads use center mounted valve covers

in some instances Extra parts were bought because that's how the lots came from eBay, so I was forced to overbuy

NOS stands for New Old Stock

Timing Set had to be purchased as individual components since a kit did not exist

Last edited by Gregski; 03-11-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 AM   #2845
deejaaa1

Quote:
.....I'm thinking of painting it green, the color of the car instead of black, what do you all think?
sorry, i'm ol' (51 yo)school. keep it black.

Quote:
I was hoping to put in 2 hours tonight, but ended up putting in 4, so needless to say it was soon Beer:30

~ that's all for today folks
finally, a real beer! none of that 'lite' stuff for me.
now i see why you called it "rusty".
cool build and i like your humor. it goes a LONG way now a days.
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #2846
Titomars

Quote:
MY BUDGET TOP END UPGRADE COST
---This Page Will Be Updated Over Time---

____________PART________________PART #___________MAKE_______________________COMMENT __________________PRICE

Vortec Cylinder Heads - - - - - - - - - - - - 12558062 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $88

Vortec Dual Plane Intake Manifold * - - - - 12366573 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - Used eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $127

Center Bolt Valve Covers ** - - - - - - - - 12355350 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $21

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - - - - - - 24502476 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - New JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $109

24 Hydraulic Lifters (8 extra) - - - - - - - - 5232720 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $95

20 Pushrods (4 extra) - - - - - - - - - - - - 14095256 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $147

Crankshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10128346 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $31

Camshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 340235 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $46

Timing Chain - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14087014 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $44

========================================================================= TOTAL $708

* new Intake Manifold is required because the Vortec cylinder heads have a different valley angle

** new Valve Covers are required because the Vortec cylinder heads use center mounted valve covers

in some instances Extra parts were bought because that's how the lots came from eBay, so I was forced to overbuy

NOS stands for New Old Stock

Timing Set had to be purchased as individual components since a kit did not exist

Hah!!
Just one of my heads cost 2 times what your entire list totals.
If I posted my shopping list it would probably scare you.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #2847
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
Hah!!
Just one of my heads cost 2 times what your entire list totals.
If I posted my shopping list it would probably scare you.
but don't you got one of them BBC, Big Beautiful Chevrolet? lol
Old 03-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #2848
68post

Greg , the engine looks to be fairly dirty inside , not sure it could just have 35 thou - unless it only had 3 oil changes. May want to replace crank seals too and are you going to replace the oil pump ? They're cheap ! (with all that oil - you'd think they wouldn't wear - huh .. ?)
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #2849
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
Greg , the engine looks to be fairly dirty inside , not sure it could just have 35 thou - unless it only had 3 oil changes. May want to replace crank seals too and are you going to replace the oil pump ? They're cheap ! (with all that oil - you'd think they wouldn't wear - huh .. ?)
Hi Tim

The oil pump and pickup screen is brand new, I replaced it a few months ago when I did the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #2850
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cheat Sheet

Man I can't find squat on my own thread, lol time to create a Cheat Sheet

THREAD - TASK

16 - Carb Rebuild

334 - Intake Manifold

1110 - Tailgate

1190 - Hood

1447 - Power Steering

1561 - Radio

1745 - Gauge Cluster

1871 - Bed

Last edited by Gregski; 03-07-2016 at 03:02 PM.