The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
mejum

Wheel Backspacing

I'd like to know what other '55-57 trucks with Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am front clips are running for front wheels, sizes, backspacing, offset, etc.

On my '57 I've got American Racing Torq Thrust II's, 16"x8", 4" backspacing, zero (0) offset, and 225/50/16 tires. The wheels sit about flush with the fenders (approximately half inch of gap between tire and fender) and are tucked about a half inch. With my current setup, I can't turn the wheels full-lock without the tires rubbing the fenders.

I'm perfectly happy with the truck's stance and not interested in raising the truck. I'm also perfectly happy with my original front fenders and have no desire to cut or roll the inner lip. I believe my only option is to get a wheel that sits a little deeper in the wheel well.

There doesn't appear to be an off-the-shelf Torq Thrust II wheel spec that will work to get me the clearance I need. Les Schwab recommended a custom, 2-piece Torq Thrust II with custom backspacing. Two custom Torq Thrust wheels with tires is easily over $1k so now I'm browsing for other wheels.

Interested in seeing and reading about what others are running for wheels.

Old picture of the front wheel and how she sits:
mejum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
bowt1ed

Re: Wheel Backspacing

Mejum, I am just in the mock up phase of mine (again and again), but with a 2nd Gen subframe I have Boyd's 18 x 8's (zero offset, 4.5" back space) with 245/40/18's and can turn stop to stop without rub. The Boyd's are just old rollers, so I am looking at some new ones now. AR VN515 18 x 8's state 4.5" back space too. Their 16 x 8's should have the same back space, I would think.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
mr48chev

There isn't going to be any free lunch in that deal but what about shorter control arms to move the wheels in the needed amount rather than a wheel change?

To me those wheels look perfect on that truck and I wouldn't want to be changing them or the offset on them as the wheels that don't have that little bit of offset look rather hokey to me when they are on older trucks

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There isn't going to be any free lunch in that deal but what about shorter control arms to move the wheels in the needed amount rather than a wheel change?

To me those wheels look perfect on that truck and I wouldn't want to be changing them or the offset on them as the wheels that don't have that little bit of offset look rather hokey to me when they are on older trucks
x2 ^^^
Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
my56chevytruck

I'm unable to run 16 x 8's since I've put a BBC in my 56 and 2" dropped spindles. so I'm running 15 x 7's, but I'd suggest talking to Rocket Racing Wheels. I found them with Summit racing and they helped me to locate the right backspacing which I've got 4.25" on mine. I'm running 215/70/15's.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
mejum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
I have Boyd's 18 x 8's (zero offset, 4.5" back space) with 245/40/18's and can turn stop to stop without rub. The Boyd's are just old rollers, so I am looking at some new ones now. AR VN515 18 x 8's state 4.5" back space too. Their 16 x 8's should have the same back space, I would think.
I went and looked at the VN515 (polished) and VN615 (chrome, which I currently have) and there are more backspacing options for 18's than for the 16's. The pricing on 18's isn't too bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
I'm unable to run 16 x 8's since I've put a BBC in my 56 and 2" dropped spindles. so I'm running 15 x 7's, but I'd suggest talking to Rocket Racing Wheels. I found them with Summit racing and they helped me to locate the right backspacing which I've got 4.25" on mine. I'm running 215/70/15's.
This makes me wonder if I went with a 16 x 7 (instead of my current 16 x 8), with a 4" backspacing, but running a narrower tire, say a 215, if that would get me the 1.25-1.5" clearance I need to avoid rubbing. What do you think?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
mejum

Some follow-up: I ended up going with a 195/60/16 tire and it got me the clearance I needed while maintaining a similar overall wheel size.

Profile:

Wheel Turned:

It's so close to being able to be driven on the road
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
PDW HOTRODS

I think that tire will be too narrow for that wheel. Take a corner hard or hit a bump could brake the bead and tire could come loose. I hav seen it happen on the rice burners.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejum View Post
Some follow-up: I ended up going with a 195/60/16 tire and it got me the clearance I needed while maintaining a similar overall wheel size.

Profile:

Wheel Turned:

It's so close to being able to be driven on the road
you may not be interested in this idea, but, have you considered rolling under the inner fender lip? I made my own tool to do this but Eastwood sells a great tool for this very problem. you may be able to go back to the previous tire setup. food for thought
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote