The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #26
georgieb51

Re: Has anyone EVER restored a bed properly?

This is a great topic. Right now I am putting together an order from MAR-K of Oklahoma for a whole stepside bed kit and wood kit.They sent me an email of 20% off through the end of this month (code OLDSCH1820) on orders over $1,000. so this seems a good time to bite the bullet. To answer the question I have never done a wood bed with paint on the wood but I have owned trucks with evidence of paint on the wood and vowed that if I ever had the chance I would paint the wood. I have decades of experience working on wood boats so I have learned what it takes to get any sort of finish on wood no matter if it is painted, or a clear finish like varnish. Here is how I will do it:

I am ordering the yellow pine bed wood from MAR-K but unlike the original trucks I will not be using plain steel strips to hold them down. Instead I will be ordering unpolished Stainless Steel and will just paint the stainless. It will provide an extra measure of insurance against rust. With all the wood on my boats I first seal all the surfaces with a clear epoxy sealer. I prefer Smith's CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) saturated into the wood. Then I use a marine primer ( I prefer Interlux InterProtect 2000, an epoxy primer) from Jamestown Distributors in RI. I will do this on the bed wood. I also use Jamestown's epoxy fairing compound called Total Boat Total Fair on any checks and knots the same way we would use bondo to eliminate imperfections prior to topcoats. Since Total Fair is a green color it would not work for clear coats but works perfectly for painted wood. I will treat all my boards on every exposed surface this way and then topcoat with the colored paint prior to installation. If I need to touch anything up I can just use colored paint after installation. All the bolts and metal strips and wood boards will be the same color as the rest of the bed interior.

I too have debated about using clear-coated boards on the floor, but to tell you the truth I am getting tired of seeing trucks done this way even though they can be quite beautiful. I prefer seeing the paint on my trucks look the way they were when they came out of the factory, and this includes the bed floors. This is just personal preference and it has not been easy to stick with this decision.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I should have taken pics of the bed when I replaced the camper shell. I pulled out the damaged plywood (because the indoor/outdoor carpet was glued to it). It did a great job of protecting the wood bed, which is also painted Hugger Orange just like the truck. I would have sworn that the wood is white oak, but I can be educated. The bottom is unpainted, and since this truck has lived almost exclusively in southern California, is in great shape.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #28
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

The factory used Southern Yellow Pine for their bed boards.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #29
ho70

Well, My original wood has so many holes in it I had to screw plywood over it to hold stuff in the bed. I am replacing the floor with red oak. There was no evidence of paint on the underneath of the boards. For all of those who are redoing their beds....I thought I would go with stainless (not polished) and paint the strips original color. Do not get aerosol cans of color to do this, 300 bucks so far in paint to do the strips and wheel housings. Go polished and save some time and money. Someone did post previous that they por 15'd the wood and painted it original color. Said it worked great.

Last edited by ho70; 08-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #30
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Man, great question. I can only recall seeing one bed in person where they had tried to mimic the original paint and that was a long time ago.

Seen a few originals with some paint left, but for the most part, everyone replaces the wood and stains it.

I went totally cheap with my truck, deck boards with no steel strips (except on bedsides)
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #31
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
Well, My original wood has so many holes in it I had to screw plywood over it to hold stuff in the bed. I am replacing the floor with red oak. There was no evidence of paint on the underneath of the boards. For all of those who are redoing their beds....I thought I would go with stainless (not polished) and paint the strips original color. Do not get aerosol cans of color to do this, 300 bucks so far in paint to do the strips and wheel housings. Go polished and save some time and money
Red oak has a porous grain structure and will rot right quick if it gets wet a lot. You don't see much red oak outdoor furniture for this reason.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #32
old51sedan

georgieb51,
I'm thinking of painting mine also & I agree it's not an easy decision. I have until spring to make up my mind.
I just placed an order with Mar-k also for a hinge kit for my stepwise. I don't know if you had seen this or not, but it allows you to eliminate the noisey chains scratching the bed.
Good luck with you new bed, send pictures of progress.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #33
dagnabbitt

Pretty crazy that GM presumably had a carpentry division all the way up until 1987. I think about that sometimes. How many people worked on the beds? Were they as much of a PITA to assemble new, on the factory floor, as they are now? Were all stepside boxes made in one location and shipped to the various factories? .

My 1981 had a respray at some point, over the factory paint, and they did a particularly half-hearted job on the box wood. You can still see the original blue in places. And the wood isn't in bad shape. I might not only try to save that wood but go with factory colour again. Great thread.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #34
Boog
laying low

I don't know about how "proper" they were but I've refloor'd two trucks so far. The first one I used oak for strength and painted it black. The second one I used #2 southern yellow pine and painted it black also. These were daily drivers, not show trucks. I wanted those floors to last. I didn't have the luxury of a table saw. As a matter of fact I don't think there were any floor kits available back then but I managed to whip up a jig to hold the boards while I ran a skill saw down the edges. They turned out real well. I imagine that's how I will do this next one too though I might use clear pine this time. I will most likely give them several coats of paint on all sides and edges to seal them as well as I can.
I just can't justify spending a lot of bucks on a floor kit for a non show truck and like someone just said it seems everybody has stained and varnished bed floors. I think I've even seen some laminate flooring used.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

A friend bought a medium blue & white '72 Cheyenne Super/20 Custom Camper with a wood floor that was shot. His plane was to go over and sell. The paint was good original but the wood was shot. He asked me to do the floor, so I got some Georgia pine heart wood, milled it up to specs, and put thinned out medium blue paint on to make it fit in best with the all original truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
Orange67

Was it an option to have body color or black on the wood? My bed is typical of a 67, rotted and cracked. The original owner had the truck under coated, so that helped I think. Anyway, looking at the strips on mine, I would swear it looks like the remnants of black paint, not medium red like the rest of the truck.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #37
jocko

I believe some or all 67s may be an exception to the body color rule - carry over from the 60-66 era. But not sure - your truck could be that proof!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #38
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I believe some or all 67s may be an exception to the body color rule - carry over from the 60-66 era. But not sure - your truck could be that proof!
I don't know if this relates to 67 only or not, but a buddy of mine has 2 NOS 67 bed wood sets. Bought from a dealership going out of business in the early 80s. Both sets I seen were painted a thin coat of what looked like satin colored black.. I actually borrowed a set for the dimensions years ago.

As far as what I am running now, my truck gets light use, so wasn't real keen on the idea of the paint peeling or flying off. I am running bare wood that gets oil treated once a year.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #39
Orange67

Quote:
That would make sense. Seems 67 got quite a few carry over designs at the very least from the 66 year. My truck is a Custom Camper, and I realized when I got it 20 or so years ago that the fender emblems are the same as 66.

Truth be told, my SPID is long gone, and never have located a build sheet. That being said, I had already decided that I was going with pine from MAR-K, steel bed strips and painting it all satin black.

What is funny, is my wife still argues with me. She wants me to do oak, varnish, and stainless. I told her to get her own truck. (Thankfully she hasn't, and we are still married.)

Old 08-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #40
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
I told her to get her own truck.
You Go!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #41
Orange67

Quote:
You Go!
Hahaha that was awesome. But in hindsight, a truck would have been smarter. She bought a Mini Clubman. Not even turbocharged or supercharged. Can barely get out of its own way, (BTW, my wife isn't on this site, so sush...)

Dave, I will figure out a way to clean (CLR I hope) some of my bed strips just to see what I come up with. I will post some pics here as soon as I can.