The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Robznob11

Bag psi?????

Ok guys here are the questions...
1) what bag psi is your perfect ride hight?
2) what psi rides the best on your ride?
3) what would you consider to be too little or to much?

And before answering... I know all trucks are different...it depends on set up , weight, etc....that is not the point of this thread. I would like to compile a general pole for what works for people. I have learned a lot with my install and have come to the conclusion that just bolting on a kit may not always be the best approach. There is some design and planning that needs to happen to achieve a good end result weather it be on a 67-72 or any other classic. The reason I bring it up is this....I have a buddy that had a local hotrod shop retrofit his 48 chevy with bags...it looks sweet and on the ground but they suggested he run 100 psi ride height for clearance....well it works but rides rough...let some air out it rides good but rubs everything including fenders. After my install it seams mine may take to little psi to get the desired ride height because of the body drop. This leads to a very good topic that is not covered in any other forums....it have Googled it. Well since this board is known for great info...let's cover the topic for other classic drivers to find. Please give a description of your setup in your responses because that is what determines how others can achieve similar results. As an example of good info....on our trucks many kits come with a rear upper cup..sure it makes the install easier but it also adds a inch or so in bag height so if you feel your rear psi is to low and moves around you may be able to remove it and run a little more psi in rear and still look good...
Thanks to all who choose to submit and subscribe!
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Bag psi?????

what psi can very from bag size and weight.The idea psi is 60% of the bags max psi.Your friends truck how is the front bagged,Is it shockwave or normal bags ?I'm thinking they used smaller bags insted of making clearance for a bigger bag so he has to run a lot more psi to get it at ride height.The other thing is they should have set the ifs kit up at ride height which sounds like they didn't.And the reason it rides rough a air bags spring rate gets stiffer the more psi it has in it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
t76turbo

I have a 70 c10 swb with 454.

I'm running dominator 2600's front and rear. I'm running basically porterbuilt stage 2 deluxe front and rear kits with 2 inch blocks in rear. I could have gotten rid of the cups in the rear but I didn't want to go back and drill even bigger holes for the air fitting etc in the frame. At least not yet.

I run 80psi in front and just over 30 in the back for ride height.

Not sure how that compares to others but I played around with pressures a lot to find the best compromise on looks and ride quality. Especially after the new big block was installed.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
Robznob11

That makes me feel better caus mine is about 30 rear and 60 front. But the hood is still off and it's not driveable yet. I have porterbuilt 1" narrow 1" forward on front with dom 2600 and rear has dom 2600 with no cups. I have a lq4 and 4l80e. So how do you like the ride and handeling at 80/30psi?
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
earl84

I only have bags in the rear with Schrader valves. It has served me very well for how I use my truck. Daily driver, occasional work truck, C20 with a 14 bolt rear, swapped in '79 front crossmember with heavy duty sway bar.

I have a 454 in it, 2 inch drop springs in front, D2600 bags with about 1-1/2" cups in rear that I run at 40 psi normally. Rides pretty decent, has a slight rake to it. I have pumped it up to around 75 psi and carried 1-1/2 yards of sand in the bed, and it rode well and handled the load no problem.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote