The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
msg

Any mods to a 66 cab corner patch needed?

Before I finish up this cab corner repair figured I'd ask if anyone has dealt with the open spot that faces the outer rocker? Something to block out the potential dirt and water from making its way into the base of the corner?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Any mods to a 66 cab corner patch needed?

No kidding. That looks unfinished for sure. Wonder if there is any harm in closing it up? I do know that when I pulled the rubber / plastic plug out of the front of the rocker, there was a ton of mud, rust and what have you in there. Id be curious to know if that was a way to get that crud to go into the cab corner instead of getting trapped in there?

Hope someone can shed some light on it. Ill be doing mine at some point too.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
jtrichard

Rocker covers it as seen here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399771
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
msg

Yeah I havent replaced the outer rocker but even once that is done there will still be a small gap left between the outer rocker and the cab corner. Maybe not enough to really be the full cause of all that crud creeping in, but just seemed like a big area to leave open. I'll be applying seam sealer where the spot welded areas are, but that gap I dont think should have seam sealer applied.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Vinceg

Hey msg, it looks like your making pretty good progress. I've been keeping an eye on your build Fixing Dixie. I too had to replace the whole cab rear seam and it was a royal pain. Is it the gap in the picture what your worried about? That bottom part of the cab corner is accessible from the inside of the cab. Some seam sealer and some paint will protect it. I actually bed lined the cab floor down into the inner cab corner. The other thing that will help will be periodic cleaning. The build up of dirt and mud over time is the big reason why they rust from the inside out. Same as the rear cab seam you had to replace.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceg View Post
Hey msg, it looks like your making pretty good progress. I've been keeping an eye on your build Fixing Dixie. I too had to replace the whole cab rear seam and it was a royal pain. Is it the gap in the picture what your worried about? That bottom part of the cab corner is accessible from the inside of the cab. Some seam sealer and some paint will protect it. I actually bed lined the cab floor down into the inner cab corner. The other thing that will help will be periodic cleaning. The build up of dirt and mud over time is the big reason why they rust from the inside out. Same as the rear cab seam you had to replace.
Thanks for checking in Vince, I may be overthinking all these open spots but after seeing all the damage that can happen as dirt and rain gets in Im trying to do my best to keep all possible areas of dirt entry sealed up.

The way the outer rocker and the cab corner face each other but with the space in between seemed like crud might slip in. If I fill the gap with seam sealer that would close it up but then the gap wouldnt look right.

Maybe modifying to add more of a wall/ endcap to the rocker and the cab corner like the yellow area I added to the photo? Also, those 3 holes on the pillar...why are they there vs solid?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Vinceg

First off nice work msg. I do get where your coming from. When your doing all this work you kinda want it to last. I looked at it this way, think about the age of the truck and how long it took for it to get into the shape it is in now or before you started all your work? Then ask yourself How is the truck going to be used? Are you going to use it like an old farm truck? Will it see the fields or gravel roads like it use too. I can guarantee my truck saw way more gravel roads and dirt fields then it ever did pavement. Once the truck is back on the road it won't see a fraction of what it did in its former life. The other thing to think about is the assembly process. These trucks were assembled as bare metal and painted. When I removed the gas tank supports from the inside of the cab it became very clear. Bare metal from 1966 nothing on it under them. The parts your putting in already have more protection then they original did. Because of the work your doing you know about the typical issue areas. We also have other forms of protection. Check into waxoyl. It is a good product to use inside your rockers, door bottoms, and other issue areas. So I do understand your thinking and maybe I'm the one that is off base but that was kinda my thought process. I also have no idea what the holes are for in the pilar support. That all said it is your build and there is nothing wrong with an upgrade here and there. The question of wether it is worth it or not might not be revealed for 50 years or so. I'm in no way a pro so it is just my opinion. Your doing great work and your documentation will help others greatly as they wonder down the same path in the future.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

if I remember right when I took mine apart, there was some sort of factory seam sealer in that area..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote