The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
Coronettom

65 LT1 stand alone harness suggestions?

Hello everyone,

well as much as I'd like to tear down the harness that came with the car(just to say that I did it...), 3 kids, a travelling job and a wife that likes me in the house tells me that I'll never get around to getting it finished, so i'm waiving the white flag on this one...

I've done a fair amount of searching but I like to hear from the guys that have actually used them, does anyone have any suggestions for a plug and play stand alone harness for putting a 94 LT1/4L60 in my 65 stepside? I know ive seen a lot about the painless harnesses but i'm not sure which one I need, and being that I'm currently located in a timezone 8.5 hours ahead of EST, contacting companies is a little tricky. Thanks everyone, I love this forum.

Oh almost forgot, I could use a couple good ideas for the gas tank as well if anyone as any. Thanks
Tom
Coronettom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: 65 LT1 stand alone harness suggestions?

I would simply use a 94-5 caprice obd1 harness. Readily available, dirt cheap. I sold my last one for $50. Stretch it out, take out the wires you don't need, and add a custom program to the PCM for what you want.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The OP already said that he does not have the time to rework a harness himself. He is asking where to buy one already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I would simply use a 94-5 caprice obd1 harness. Readily available, dirt cheap. I sold my last one for $50. Stretch it out, take out the wires you don't need, and add a custom program to the PCM for what you want.
Coronettom. I do not have any experience with aftermarket LT1 harnesses, but personally I probably would not go with a harness form Painless. I would check with someone that specializes in EFI harnesses such
Howell http://howellefi.com/

or LT1swap.comhttp://www.lt1swap.com/

You are going to have to have your PCM reflashed also.

For a fuel tank, I would suggest looking into a Boyds aluminum tank. They are a forum vendor here.

Of course with the increasing popularity of the LSx conversions, it is becoming more difficult to find someone willing to work with one of the older systems
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-23-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
Warrens69GMC

Fuelinjectionconnection.com

http://lt1wiringharness.com/gpage.html
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
Coronettom

awesome, thanks for the replies everyone.

I have had a lot of people tell me to just go with an LS but my best friend in high school had a 1994 Z28 and that thing was a blast to drive, never did care for the looks of it, but man was it fun. So I guess you could call me nostalgic, plus I got the car for next to nothing, so that always helps too haha...thanks again. This forum is awesome

tom
Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
notsolo

I used a Howell H242 for my 93 5.7 TBI swap, very nice, each wire is a plug and play. I also used a Boyd aluminum tank, side fill and it's set up for EFI.. buy their pump or build a pump into the frame rail depending on what you want. Gauges for electronics in the dash is 1 of the main stumbling blocks. If you have the parts car the engine and trans, ECM came out of it helps, you can modify the original gauges from it into your old dash bezel.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Coronettom

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I used a Howell H242 for my 93 5.7 TBI swap, very nice, each wire is a plug and play. I also used a Boyd aluminum tank, side fill and it's set up for EFI.. buy their pump or build a pump into the frame rail depending on what you want. Gauges for electronics in the dash is 1 of the main stumbling blocks. If you have the parts car the engine and trans, ECM came out of it helps, you can modify the original gauges from it into your old dash bezel.
See this is why I love this forum...I hadn't even considered issues wth my gauges lol...thanks notsolo, that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for