The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
FlameOut

Windshield installation

I have never installed a windshield in one of these trucks before, and was about to attempt it today, using a new Precision seal, but I'm not sure which side faces out and which faces in. (no stainless trim)

I already had one attempt, but pulling on the rope didn't seem to pull the new gasket over the pinch weld enough and when I got to the top, it wasn't even close to going in

Also, the videos that I watched, one says to install the top of the windshield first, and another says to start with the bottom? Is one way easier/better than the other?

This is the way I have the gasket now. This would be on the inside

Name:  20150626_155443.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  42.6 KB

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: Windshield installation

I have always started at the bottom. Couple of key tips. Make sure your rope is not too small not too big. Spray the heck out of the gasket and groove with a good glass cleaner this will act as a lubricant that evaporates and is easy to clean up. When you get toward the top you may have to push the windshield down from the top, seating it into the gasket at the cowl. Do not hit the glass, may need a couple of extra hand to push on glass from the outside as you are pulling the cord. They should be applying pressure near the area you are pulling the cord. Gasket looks good. Good luck, Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
68JOHNDEERE

The gasket looks to be on the windshield correctly. The little dimple on the corner mold goes to the inside. About installing into the vehicle, the reason you start installing the gasket on the top is to get the windshield centered side to side using the square corners. It is easier to center the glass with only a 1/3 of the glass installed than if you were to start o the bottom, and try to center 2/3 of the windshield.

Patience is your friend, do not hurry on this. There is a secondary lip on the gasket that has to come in for the whole assembly to seat into the truck. Precision does have a good youtube video explaining the details of the install.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
FlameOut

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, when I can find an additional pair of hands to help I'll try it from the top this time, rather than the bottom

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
kxmotox247

+1 on the Precision video on youtube. It took my wife and I about an hour to do the windshield. The hardest part was really just stretching the gasket over the glass. We thought the rear glass would be a breeze since it was smaller but it actually fought us harder.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
hugger6933

Instead of using glass cleaner on the rubber, use dish soap it will make it more slick and allow the rubber to slide easier. I have started top and bottom if the glass is set in the center it doesn't make much difference either way. The bottom start makes it easy top pop the top once the corner is turned though. if you do get to the corner and it is too tight to pull through, it is either not on center or it isn't slick enough. Plastic spoons can also be used to help "turn" the rubber if the rope is giving you trouble. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
BLT gmc

Soap is as good at lubricating the seal as glass cleaner. In this area the pros use the cleaner. There is a significant difference in the clean up from glass cleaner and soap. Time is $. hugger6933 recommendations are good esp the plastic tools. The upper corners usually are the most challenging. Good luck, Bruce
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by BLT gmc; 06-27-2015 at 08:51 AM.
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote