The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Two questions on the 1972 jimmy

Q1. Is the surround of the grill ALWAYS chromed on the 72 jimmy? i am looking at one on which it is black (just pictures at this point so I cannot judge whether it has been painted over or is original).
Q2. What is the arrangement for fixing in the back seats on these vehicles. This one has a truck liner but I understand they are bolt in. How many bolts are there and what do they thread into? Is there any danger of these being rusted out and seat becoming unsafe if I have child seats on it? Where would folks recommend getting after market back seats from?
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Two questions on the 1972 jimmy

[QUOTE=eighteenninetytwo;6316597]Q1. Is the surround of the grill ALWAYS chromed on the 72 jimmy? i am looking at one on which it is black (just pictures at this point so I cannot judge whether it has been painted over or is original).

The original grilles are anodized aluminum. I think you can buy aftermarket chrome, and black would be paint.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

Thanks for your help. any ideas on the Fastening systems for back seats.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
briank

The rear seat bolts to the floor. If yours originally had a rear seat then there should be threaded nuts welded on the underside of the bed. I have seen seats with two or four rear legs and the front legs attach with a half clamp that goes over the leg and threads in the floor. I have a 70 K5 with no provisions for a rear seat so Ill have to make some. There are also rectangular reinforcements welded on the topside of the bed floor. Unless you got your blazer from the midwest I wouldnt think rust would be a worry on your mounting.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Blazerowner

I think they all had four legs in the back. Two of them mount the seat belts. I have fou on mine. Two have nuts for the belt bolts.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[quote=john;6316750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
Q1. Is the surround of the grill ALWAYS chromed on the 72 jimmy? i am looking at one on which it is black (just pictures at this point so I cannot judge whether it has been painted over or is original).

The original grilles are anodized aluminum. I think you can buy aftermarket chrome, and black would be paint.
Nope... You're thinking Blazer. All GMCs were chrome mild steel. All. (72's did have some black paint)
Attached Images

Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
briank

I have at least two rear seats with only two rear legs, so could be either. Maybe trim levels determined that?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Blazerowner

Im not sure but have you looked at the seat to see if there are holes for them. Also in the floor? Sometimes PO have removed them to make seat removal faster when throwing things in the back. I have never seen a blazer floor have only two holes for the legs in the back.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
eighteenninetytwo

The vehicle is three hours away so I'm checking on stuff before I go up there. Additionally my wife sort of (because i told her) thinks i'm getting a truck (pick up styley). So my plan is to have a bedliner and to be able to take the seat out if I need to carry stuff. On this, my plan would be to clean the bed and back then paint on several layers of rustoluem coating or maybe use something like a rhino liner over sound deadening material of some sort. has anyone got any recommendations for good materials to use?

also it IS a 72 so the surround may be correct as black right? I'll have to get chrome - its why i love the 72 jimmy.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
muckmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo View Post
The vehicle is three hours away so I'm checking on stuff before I go up there. Additionally my wife sort of (because i told her) thinks i'm getting a truck (pick up styley). So my plan is to have a bedliner and to be able to take the seat out if I need to carry stuff. On this, my plan would be to clean the bed and back then paint on several layers of rustoluem coating or maybe use something like a rhino liner over sound deadening material of some sort. has anyone got any recommendations for good materials to use?

also it IS a 72 so the surround may be correct as black right? I'll have to get chrome - its why i love the 72 jimmy.
Every 72 I have seen has the black highlights.

If you want something removable, you can always go with the newer tahoe seats that can be removed. There is a thread around here somewhere that shows how to build the framework to hold the tahoe seats. That is what I did to my Jimmy.
muckmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
eighteenninetytwo

Thanks for the help. i had a bunch of requirements and the 72 jimmy seems to fit them. 1. Classic looks 2. pre smog. 3. convertible. 4. solid engine that is workable / crate purchaseable 5. need to be able to remove back seat and load stuff like a pick up. I honestly can't think of a better option. Any other ideas welcome though. The seat in and out bit sounds like possible trouble but worth it.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
briank

I just looked one of my parts blazers. It has a rear seat with just two legs. On this one the two center bolt holes are just for the seat belts as they're still bolted in the tub and the seat is out. I have had two other rear seats with only two rear legs. That would make removal easier for you.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
eighteenninetytwo

Do these bolts fasten in from ABOVE (I assume yes)?? I was looking at a Plymouth Trailduster but you had to get under the damn vehicle to unfasten the seats so it was an issue. Two bolts sound doable, especially if I change them out for wing nuts. does anyone know what thread they use?