The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
WAXER

Lift Kit

Hi guys, newbie here and looking for answers. Just bought a 1991, 4wd, 1500 burb w/350 auto. Looking to put a 4in lift (no blocks) and bigger tires. What kind of drive-train problems can I expect changing the angle of the components by that amount? If I put a new steering arm and stablizer on along with the kit, will I need to beef up the frame or steering box (only being a 1/2 ton)? Any suggestions on brand name? What would be the max size tire for a lift of that height? Anyone here do the same thing?
Thanks,
Scott, Maryland
WAXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Pro comp makes a nice lift kit for the price. Check out the 4 wheel parts wholesalers ad in something like 4 wheel and off road mag. They usually have a big ad. On the newer trucks, 35's should not be a problem with a 4" lift. That Sub should have dual shocks on the front, which would help. If you are doing more extreme stuff, you might want to consider 33's.

Adding the steering box brace probably would not be a bad idea, but probably not mandatory, either. Another thing to consider is gear ratio. 4.11 would probably be the absolute minimum for 35's. I would suggest 4.56's, though.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

On my`91 3/4t I have the TuffCountry 4" all spring lift w/Rancho RS9000s.I`m running 12.50/35 Goodyear MT/Rs on 10" rims.I put a front stabilizer bar exteension kit and dual steering stabilizers on it.The gears are 4.10s and I didn`t notice any loss of power.Was going to go to 4.56s to compensate for increased tire diameter,no need Mine`s a 6.2 diesel with 4L80E.The fenders can rub when turning and twisting at same time.Haven`t seen any cuts in tires.They all recommend 4"lift/33"tire and 6"lift/35"tire.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
1987SierraClassic

I have an '89 1/2 ton Sub with BDS springs all around. I wanted springs that weren't made overseas. The BDS springs are made in Canada or USA. They have a 'no nonsense' guarantee. "if it breaks we'll replace it...period." At any rate, I put the steering arm on mine. The steering box modification depends on how hard you plan to use it. Mine doesn't do any serious off-roading, so I didn't put one on when I did the kit, but I may in the future just as a 'belt and suspenders' sort of thing. Driveline angles shouldn't be a problem since most kits have an offset center pin on the rear springs to tilt the axle to the proper angle. The front springs will have a wedge. My local shop told me that he ran his Sub for years without the wedges in the front, so I chose not to put mine in. No problems so far.
My Sub had the 7000lb GVW option which had 56" springs which are the same as the 3/4 ton, so be sure that you get the right u-bolts if you have that option. The 3/4 ton u-bolts are 1/2" bigger. I found that out after the parts stores closed!
I replaced the rear shackles on my front springs with a set from Off-Road Unlimited. They are greasable, heavier, and 1/2" longer than the stock ones so that at maximum flex, the spring won't hit the frame. Again...not necessary, but I liked them!

I run 33x12.5 tires which are about as big as I'd want to go without trimming front fenders. I have 3.42 gears and it does 'okay' albeit a bit 'numb' at times. As a daily driver I live with it for now until I can put 4.10's in.

Good luck with your build!
1987SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote