The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Turn signal indicator lights up when headlights on

I don't drive a lot at night but yesterday evening I did and noticed my right turn indicator in the dash was glowing slightly, I checked all my lights and they're all working properly. I checked all the bulbs in the back of dash, couldn't find anything wrong with wires or bulbs. Anyone have an idea what would cause this?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
ck5566
Account Suspended

Re: Turn signal indicator lights up when headlights on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I don't drive a lot at night but yesterday evening I did and noticed my right turn indicator in the dash was glowing slightly, I checked all my lights and they're all working properly. I checked all the bulbs in the back of dash, couldn't find anything wrong with wires or bulbs. Anyone have an idea what would cause this?
Sounds like you have something that is bleeding through from one circuit to another. Might be your Instrument Cluster Printed Circuit might be bad. Others will ring in with more. Good Luck
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Guy67UK

Sounds like you have a bad earth connection somewhere, most likely on the rear lights.
Guy67UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I'm also thinking a poor ground connection.... my guess was maybe a side marker light.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

You have had a few ideas from here so I would start with GROUNDS and go from there.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Your electrons have gone renegade seeking the path of least resistance. These can be difficult problems to solve. I remember my old man fixing a high beam indicator that wouldn't shut off by "Reaching under the dash and pinching that bulb with some pliers.". You might try pulling fuses one at a time to see if the problem goes away. This could point to the area with the faulty ground. Good luck. I just went through this on my S-10. By pulling fuses and staring at the wiring schematic for hours I figured it out.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
69chevy lwb

Does it stop glowing if you turn the dash lights off? If so the cardboard tube that isolates the blinker bulb might have come apart letting in light from the other instruments making it glow.
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

2, 6 & 7 sound right to me, the novice. If it were me, I'd check the wires under the hood and dash, then run with post 7, then 6, then perhaps your problem is post 2.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevy lwb View Post
Does it stop glowing if you turn the dash lights off? If so the cardboard tube that isolates the blinker bulb might have come apart letting in light from the other instruments making it glow.
It does go off when I turn off the lights. I thought of the tube being loose or that it may be leaking light from the other bulbs but I pulled the indicator bulb the light goes out. I've checked the ground path to my tail lights, front indicator lights and side marker lights with a multimeter and there's no resistance in any of them. It's an assumption but I think that would indicate a good ground to all the lights. I'll have to dig deeper!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
It does go off when I turn off the lights. I thought of the tube being loose or that it may be leaking light from the other bulbs but I pulled the indicator bulb the light goes out. I've checked the ground path to my tail lights, front indicator lights and side marker lights with a multimeter and there's no resistance in any of them. It's an assumption but I think that would indicate a good ground to all the lights. I'll have to dig deeper!
Posted via Mobile Device
Start with lights On & pull one Dash light bulb with Socket one at a time to maybe isolate each one from the other and then it might show its self. If that doesn't do the trick then pull the nearest Two bulb with sockets out that are closest to the cardboard signal housing that has the light on. If not found yet go to step Three, three closest sockets ect,ect,ect.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
AirSpeed

Still having issues with the indicator light on my dash and tonight I noticed the high beam on the passenger side is out, the same side as the indicator light that's glowing. (This is a GMC so it has four headlights) could this be why my indicator is glowing? Do they glow when a headlight goes out? I'll be replacing the high beams tomorrow but I was curious to know if this could be my problem?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #12
jrayegg

I recently installed missing park lights on my firebird and I have the exact issue. Mine is not light spill, but the right turn indicator on the dash is lit When I turn on the lights. When I drive, it goes off sometimes when I hit a bump. I'm guessing ground or exposed wiring somewhere. If I find the answer, I'll post on here.
jrayegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
mtidwell

Went through the same problem on my 71. Turns out it was the grounds adjacent to the headlight sockets in the wiring harness that attach the radiator core support. Took them off and clean off the crud/paint and reattached. No more glowing light.
mtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Turn signal indicator lights up when headlights on

Quote:
Could be bleed through if the black gasket has fallen apart on the cardboard tube for the turn signal are it came off the tabs in the cluster.If all the lights are working correctly. The dash lights try cutting off the lights and see if it goes a way.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
B Myers

I just went through this on my build, the bumper mounted lights have 2 wires, one for marker, one for turn, the ground is chassis through the housing. If you lose this ground the turn indicators will dimly light when the marker lights are on. Also if the bulbs are bad it will cause the same problem.
B Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
slikside

I too had this problem on my '72. Solved by running a separate ground from blinker housing to bumper bracket/frame.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
I too had this problem on my '72. Solved by running a separate ground from blinker housing to bumper bracket/frame.
pulling this thread back, I have this same issue. can you take pics of both spots where you added the ground? or describe in more detail? thanks!

Also, OP: solve your issue yet?

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayegg View Post
I recently installed missing park lights on my firebird and I have the exact issue. Mine is not light spill, but the right turn indicator on the dash is lit When I turn on the lights. When I drive, it goes off sometimes when I hit a bump. I'm guessing ground or exposed wiring somewhere. If I find the answer, I'll post on here.
That sounds like a filament is loose in the bulb, and is intermittently contacting the other filament. This also fits the problem that the OP has.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #19
dmw319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
That sounds like a filament is loose in the bulb, and is intermittently contacting the other filament. This also fits the problem that the OP has.
I have the same problem as the OP. the filament in my dash turn signal light is normal. ive tried 3 different bulbs. I think it might be a grounding issue somewhere, just not sure how to track it down.

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote