The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #1676
rin68

Re: Make it handle

What time? Did not see it on the schedule
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #1677
robnolimit

I'm not sure, it was on Optima's mailing list. I'll try to find out
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #1678
Custom 68

Here is what I got.

Premiere of OPTIMA’s Search for the Ultimate Street Car: Faceoff at Road America Qualifier Event to Air on MAV TV Network
OPTIMA’s Faceoff at Road America Qualifying Event Episode Premieres Thursday, October 31 with more high intensity performance vehicles and nail-biting action

Oct. 17, 2012 (MILWAUKEE) – OPTIMAŽ Batteries, the global leader in high-performance automotive and marine AGM batteries and chargers, is proud to announce the premiere of the OPTIMA’s Search for the Ultimate Street Car series to air on Thursday, October 31 at 6 p.m. EDT and 9 p.m. EDT on MAV TV.

In the premiere, viewers will get a behind-the-scenes look at the action during the OPTIMA Faceoff at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. This regional qualifying event introduces a diverse range of performance vehicles and thestories behind the passionate drivers as they compete on one of the most historic race tracks in America.

“This episode captures the passion of the automotive community with a great cast of entertaining characters. If you’re looking for fast beautiful cars, then this is your show,” said Cam Douglass director of product development and marketing for OPTIMA Batteries. “This series has grown so much over the past few years – many thanks to our sponsors and loyal enthusiasts – and we look forward to sharing the excitement of OPTIMA’s Faceoff at Road America Qualifying Event with viewers at home.”

The fun begins as all of the Faceoff participants drive more than 60 miles through Wisconsin’s scenic Kettle Moraine State Park to the Road America facility in the Detroit Speed Road Rally. Later in the weekend, all 71 Faceoff participants get on the track to test their cars and driving skills through the BFGoodrich Hot Lap Challenge, Wilwood Disc Brakes Speed Stop Challenge, Ridetech Street Challenge Autocross and the Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Design Challenge.

Participants traveled from all over the country to showcase their vehicle’s performance potential - making this year the most diverse yet. During the episode, fourparticipants are awarded with invitations to OPTIMA’s Ultimate Street Car Invitational event, held after the SEMA show in Pahrump, NV. Viewers can watch (and Tweet along using the hashtag #OUSCI) to see which participants are selected based not only on their vehicle’s performance, but also the spirit and attitude they showed over the course of the weekend.
Get in on the Action

The Faceoff at Road America is a Regional Qualifier event leading up to OPTIMA’s Ultimate Street Car Invitational, to be held in Pahrump, NV, after the SEMAshow in early November. Fans can purchase tickets to the sixth annual OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational at http://optimainvitational.com/. Tickets are $30 per person and include a free event t-shirt. The event will take place at Spring Mountain Motor Resort and Country Club, a state-of-the-art racing facility in Pahrump, Nevada on Saturday, November 9, 2013.
The OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational is presented by Royal Purple Synthetic Oil and K&N Filters. This year’s event sponsors are BFGoodrich Tires, Detroit Speed and Engineering, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, Ridetech and Wilwood Disc Brakes. And finally, associate sponsors include Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, The Roadster Shop, Centerforce Performance Clutch, MAC Tools and Jet-Hot Coatings.

For more information on the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational, please visit http://www.optimainvitational.com/.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1679
Custom 68

It will be on my DVR for sure...
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #1680
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
We have some good finding on our Track Width testing...
Amazing info, Rob. Since I have been researching a replacement car, I have been looking at the 2001 C5 Z06. One thing I noticed Chevy did on the Z06 over the base C5 was run a wider rim front and rear for more footprint, but didn't widen the track as much by using the wheel offest on the rear.

Granted the Corvette isn't as nose heavy as the truck, but this info in your findings put the pieces together in my head.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #1681
laid67

Hey all, Rob, Many of us make modifications to, or buy custom cross members/control arms to move our front wheels forward, and center them in the wheel arches. Why not take it farther and move the front cross member and everything attached forward a few more inches? I have seen elsewhere on truck handling projects but never on a C10. I understand we already have a pretty long, in some cases not so desirable wheelbase., but it seems like there would be something to gain from it though with weight distribution. A front-mid engined truck might even be possible. I always wondered with hellboy why you guys didn't move the front wheels forward some since you were already doing custom fenders and frame.

I forget which TV show I saw it on, but some guys took a 93 ford ranger and moved the front suspension forward 3 or 4 inches and reworked the fenders to fit. It came out great and handled well.
laid67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #1682
INSIDIOUS '86

I have a question here. If I moved my instant center up with my front spring hanger relocated and dropped my leaf on the shackle in the rear this will give more traction upon launching in a straight line. I'm wondering how this wil also effect cornering. I'm assuming I will get more bite coming out of a corner correct?

Also I'm fabbing my own track bar for the rear does it matter which side mounts to the frame or axle much?
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1683
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid67 View Post
Hey all, Rob, Many of us make modifications to, or buy custom cross members/control arms to move our front wheels forward, and center them in the wheel arches. Why not take it farther and move the front cross member and everything attached forward a few more inches? I have seen elsewhere on truck handling projects but never on a C10. I understand we already have a pretty long, in some cases not so desirable wheelbase., but it seems like there would be something to gain from it though with weight distribution. A front-mid engined truck might even be possible. I always wondered with hellboy why you guys didn't move the front wheels forward some since you were already doing custom fenders and frame.

I forget which TV show I saw it on, but some guys took a 93 ford ranger and moved the front suspension forward 3 or 4 inches and reworked the fenders to fit. It came out great and handled well.
There are two reasons for something like this. 1) Weight balance. Moving the front CL forward effectively moves the balance point back. 2) Wheel Base. A longer wheel base may help stability at higher speeds. Bonneville streamliners are well over 350 inches now, very stable in a straight line, but doesn't corner too well. A Smart car with it's 72" (whatever) wheelbase will turn around in it's own shadow, but I don't want to be in one at 90 mph - or really at all. Camaros are 106", Chevelles and Novas 108" to 112". So, you pick the situation. Our old chevies are around 114" - already long enough for me. - My red C10 is a bit shorter at 107".

Old 10-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #1684
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
I have a question here. If I moved my instant center up with my front spring hanger relocated and dropped my leaf on the shackle in the rear this will give more traction upon launching in a straight line. I'm wondering how this wil also effect cornering. I'm assuming I will get more bite coming out of a corner correct?

Also I'm fabbing my own track bar for the rear does it matter which side mounts to the frame or axle much?
The spring mount idea is spot on. As for the track bar, while there may be some difference on mounting if you tip the bar, for street guys it will be level, so it doesn't really matter.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #1685
derrickmanx1

I just ordered my rack and pinion. I can't wait to get it going.
JAKES 4L80E TCI TCU PTC 10.5" 2800 STALL
My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post5779530
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #1686
robnolimit

Thanks Derrick

Old 11-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #1687
jayman68
Fun Stuff

About track width testing:

You found the best results with the front track width 1/2" wider than the rear.
To adjust the track width on the front would we change the length of the A-arms? Is as wide as you can get better or is there a point where it gets too wide? How does your wide ride I.F.S. kit change front width, and how much? To adjust the rear the options would be change the axle length, change back spacing, or spacers, did I miss any?
Is there an advantage to having the tire width(front) centered on the turn pivot point? (Where would that point be?) Or would it be better adjusted out or in? That would change with back spacing.
Does the tread width have any effect?
Is the point of tire width to get more rubber on the ground for traction, or does it affect the handling? i.e. if the track width is the same, just a wider tire.
Thanks for your time and input.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1688
jimmydean

Rob, just wanted to say congrats on another Goodguys Pro Class title. Hellboy is such a sick truck, you have proven you know what you are doing on this subject.

Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #1689
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Rob, just wanted to say congrats on another Goodguys Pro Class title. Hellboy is such a sick truck, you have proven you know what you are doing on this subject.

...and don't forget he's driving it too! Mans got some skillz!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #1690
SIETEDOCE

i have a idea, what do you think

Name:  1477755_10201027497672089_460174250_n.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  1453485_10201075431750411_1559369153_n.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  17.9 KB
SIETEDOCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #1691
SIETEDOCE

good or bad idea?
SIETEDOCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #1692
mac808

Haha! Thats a neat idea!
mac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #1693
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Scietedoce, you might like looking at the adjustable control arms listed in the racer's section of the Speedway Motors site. You could also make up the legs of your control arms from adjustable rod ends and one of the ball joint retainers they have. I could spend more money than I ever earned over there on neat suspension stuff, easily :-D

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #1694
theastronaut

Does the taller C20 ball joint work for all year C10 trucks (63-87)? I have a pair of CPP modular spindles for a 73-87 and wanted to make sure this would work before I bought ball joints for it. They're going on a '66 C10.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #1695
Custom 68

I will partially try to answer this but probably needs some clarification. If I understand right your second part is on the CPP modular spindles. They will work on a standard C10 style truck for sure. These will work on the 1966 C10.
The first part doesn't seem to be related to the second. I don't know if C20 spindles will work and I guess I didn't know they were taller. They are not the same as the modular spindles.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #1696
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I will partially try to answer this but probably needs some clarification. If I understand right your second part is on the CPP modular spindles. They will work on a standard C10 style truck for sure. These will work on the 1966 C10.
The first part doesn't seem to be related to the second. I don't know if C20 spindles will work and I guess I didn't know they were taller. They are not the same as the modular spindles.
I should have made the questions clearer, sorry about that! I have a '66 C10 and 73 up CPP C10 modular spindles. Building my own tubular A-arms for it and need ball joints to mock up the front suspension. I want to use taller upper ball joints that came on C20's for more camber gain, just wanted to make sure that 73 up C20 ball joints were actually taller than 73 up C10 ball joints. I've searched and can't find out which years were taller or if all year C20's (63-87) had taller ball joints compared to C10's. The posts I have been able to find weren't year specific when the C20 joints were mentioned, so I'm assuming that all 63-87 C20's are taller?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #1697
bdiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I want to use taller upper ball joints that came on C20's for more camber gain, just wanted to make sure that 73 up C20 ball joints were actually taller than 73 up C10 ball joints. I've searched and can't find out which years were taller or if all year C20's (63-87) had taller ball joints compared to C10's. The posts I have been able to find weren't year specific when the C20 joints were mentioned, so I'm assuming that all 63-87 C20's are taller?
If they are taller the taper/stud size will probably be different too. The 88 up ones are anyway. Still, not too big of deal if you have a reamer.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #1698
bdiamond

I was pondering the taller balljoint idea lately. I was thinking that earlier in the thread it was said that the steering arm was a little low on most spindles (5/8" I think was mentioned) and more camber gain would be good also. What would be wrong with running a taller LOWER balljoint to fix both issues at once? It should get the steering arm up in its range, effectively make the spindle taller to help camber gain as well as lower the truck 1/2". Am I missing something or would this work? The only issue I see is putting the a-arms even closer to the ground.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #1699
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
If they are taller the taper/stud size will probably be different too. The 88 up ones are anyway. Still, not too big of deal if you have a reamer.
You are correct, I ordered a pair and the stud size is larger and wont seat in the spindle.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #1700
theastronaut

I was looking for 1/2" dropped upper control arm shafts and run across an adjustable mounting plate that would work instead. Looks like a good option to replace the original upper mounts.