The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
A1971Blazer

Coil springs to raise ride height

First of all if you're a fan of lowering....I'm perfectly fine with that.....but I want to keep my 67 at stock height or perhaps an inch higher.

All I have seen so far are stock springs or lowering springs.

I think that new springs, even stock size, would help to raise it just by virtue of replacing old sagging ones.

I suppose I could buy or make spacers to raise it slightly....I really don't want to go to 3/4 ton springs.....I'm afraid it will make the ride too stiff

I'm getting set to convert to front disc, power brakes, and power steering....also will replace the ball joints and tie rod ends....it would be easy to do the front springs while it's all apart.

Name:  IMG_1207.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  110.9 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
sick472

Re: Coil springs to raise ride height

Like you said...new spring will raise it some, but how much? If you look up springs for our trucks, they have them for multiple applications (ei. with AC or W/O, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, etc.). Bumping up in option weight will raise the front end. If you truck is a non AC truck...going with the AC springs will add a smidge of height and so on. Most coil spring manufactures can advise you on which springs toi get to target your goals. I have had good luck with Easton Detoit spring's customer service.

With that said...spring swaps are always a gamble and you can expect to regroup and try again. I did that with a car recently and had to use spacers to raise the front up a 1/2" and had to try two different sets of rear leafs to "get it just right".

I think Eaton will even custom make springs to help get you where you want. Don't forget you can give the whole thing a bit of a body lift too (core support, cab, and bed)...although this will change the way the bumpers look slightly unless you alter the bumper brackets.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Do a search for pre-runner. There are several people here who have built 2wd pre-runners and lifted their trucks.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
saxart

Here are a couple of thoughts that may help:

1) I've seen guys replace our stock springs with take off springs from a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) as a way to lower the rear of their trucks. I know you don't want to lower your truck, but just stick with me for a moment.

2) There is a cheap way to lift a Jeep TJ which is called a "budget boost". They are spacers that go under the springs to lift the vehicle. I believe they make them in 1" and 2" heights.

If all four of the coil springs on our trucks are the same outside diameter as the Jeep's, these "budget boosts" should work as a way to provide lift for your truck. You may want to do some research to find out if the springs are the same size. If so, this could be an option for you.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Here are a couple of thoughts that may help:

1) I've seen guys replace our stock springs with take off springs from a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) as a way to lower the rear of their trucks. I know you don't want to lower your truck, but just stick with me for a moment.

2) There is a cheap way to lift a Jeep TJ which is called a "budget boost". They are spacers that go under the springs to lift the vehicle. I believe they make them in 1" and 2" heights.

If all four of the coil springs on our trucks are the same outside diameter as the Jeep's, these "budget boosts" should work as a way to provide lift for your truck. You may want to do some research to find out if the springs are the same size. If so, this could be an option for you.
Thanks for sharing that information....I appreciate the input

I'm considering the option of using spacers to gain a little...and it looks like I won't need much....

The old tires in the picture are 31 x 10.50...worn down to about 29½".... I only have 2 mounted so I really can't test accurately for rubbing issues.

More than likely I won't use a tire that more than 28"-29" tall anyway

Luckily I'm in the machining business so making some spacers will be easily do-able.

What I think i'll do first is just replace the old springs and see what that does......I'm going to convert the front to power disc brakes at the same
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote