The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
new to this platform

New to this forum. Acquired this truck while back on a trade just decided to work on it now. Guy I got it from got it from an unpaid debt so didn't get no info from him. Paper work says 69 but only have a vin on the frame. Ive done the suspension work and now in the process of finishing the ls swap. looking to get tubular arms but, unsure on what spindles are being used now. Spindles look new, 6 lug disc brake. need help identifying what was swapped over from my understanding these came drum and 5 lug. Thanks . Looking forward to learning new things about this platform .
Attached Images
 

Last edited by GreaseMonkey23; 08-09-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: picture upload
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

 
special-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mt.Airy,MD
Posts: 66,348
Re: new to this platform

It's hard to say. It has to be aftermarket. The spindles might be marked. Pictures would help.
__________________
"BUILDING A BETTER WAY TO SERVE THE USA"......67/72......"The New Breed"

'67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi...'The 67' (project)
'72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok...'The 72'
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
bill3rail
Registered User
 
bill3rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LI, NY 11801
Posts: 949
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
Paper work says 69 but only have a vin on the frame.
I cannot answer your front end questions, however can I ask you some questions?
No time for you to answer that question so...
No VIN plate on the door pillar? No SPID on the inside of glove box door?

Will CA DMV accept what paperwork you have?
__________________
1970 C10 8' Fleetside, L6 250, 3 on the Tree.
The most basic of pickup trucks!
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine
Senior Member
 
'68OrangeSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 4,354
Re: new to this platform

Six lug is normal for '69 C/10. The switch to 5-lugs for 2WDs came later. '71, maybe?
A ''9'' in the frame VIN, followed by a letter [very likely ''Z'' for Fremont, Cal.] plus six more numbers should be what you get there. The first four digits [CE14] won't be stamped on the frame.
Welcome to 67-72ChevyTrucksdotcom.
I would check with the DMV about getting legal. You don't want to sink a lot of time and money into an unregisterable ''parts truck.''
__________________


Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-09-2018 at 04:21 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

I have Z? 5 more number i can read there is a 9 in there. i took that vin too DMV said there was nothing in the system so id would have to take it in for vin verification. I'm past the point of dumping to much money haha
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
bill3rail
Registered User
 
bill3rail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: LI, NY 11801
Posts: 949
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
I have Z? 5 more number i can read there is a 9 in there. i took that vin too DMV said there was nothing in the system so id would have to take it in for vin verification. I'm past the point of dumping to much money haha
I guess ID is a DMV office to verify your VIN?

This is my understanding of the frame stamp/VIN.

My frame stamp is B1xxxx
It is missing the CS140.

Full VIN is CS140B1xxxxx (1xxxxx is actual truck S/N)

Bill
__________________
1970 C10 8' Fleetside, L6 250, 3 on the Tree.
The most basic of pickup trucks!
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I cannot answer your front end questions, however can I ask you some questions?
No time for you to answer that question so...
No VIN plate on the door pillar? No SPID on the inside of glove box door?

Will CA DMV accept what paperwork you have?
no vin plate on the door and it looks like the painted over the SPID.
Attached Images
  
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I guess ID is a DMV office to verify your VIN?

This is my understanding of the frame stamp/VIN.

My frame stamp is B1xxxx
It is missing the CS140.

Full VIN is CS140B1xxxxx (1xxxxx is actual truck S/N)

Bill
mine is Z? xx9xx not sure if ? A or 4.
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's hard to say. It has to be aftermarket. The spindles might be marked. Pictures would help.
no markings on spindles
Attached Images
   
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 12,710
Re: new to this platform

Z is for Fremont, if it's indeed a Z. Often frame is just last 6 digits of the VIN - i.e. the sequential serial #, which is normally 6 numbers, no letters, but who knows.

It appears you are correct in that your SPID is still present under the red paint - I'd whip out some paint thinner and CAREFULLY start removing the paint to see what's cookin under there.

If 70 or older, your truck would have come with 6 lug drums - 5 lugs didn't hit the C10 world until 71 when disk brakes also came out.

Even if you can uncover the SPID and the trail digits match the frame - I'd expect CA DMV will still want to verify AND issue a new metal tag with a state-generated VIN. Missing metal plate is a major problem, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that 68Orangesunshine already mentioned most of this - sorry!

Last edited by jocko; 08-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Z is for Fremont, if it's indeed a Z. Often frame is just last 6 digits of the VIN - i.e. the sequential serial #, which is normally 6 numbers, no letters, but who knows.

It appears you are correct in that your SPID is still present under the red paint - I'd whip out some paint thinner and CAREFULLY start removing the paint to see what's cookin under there.

Yea I have the Z for sure then itís either a A or 4. Digit space then 5 digits. Yea Iím going to ask my painter to come over n help me remove some of the pint.
Posted via Mobile Device
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Z is for Fremont, if it's indeed a Z. Often frame is just last 6 digits of the VIN - i.e. the sequential serial #, which is normally 6 numbers, no letters, but who knows.

It appears you are correct in that your SPID is still present under the red paint - I'd whip out some paint thinner and CAREFULLY start removing the paint to see what's cookin under there.

If 70 or older, your truck would have come with 6 lug drums - 5 lugs didn't hit the C10 world until 71 when disk brakes also came out.

Even if you can uncover the SPID and the trail digits match the frame - I'd expect CA DMV will still want to verify AND issue a new metal tag with a state-generated VIN. Missing metal plate is a major problem, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that 68Orangesunshine already mentioned most of this - sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Yea that my biggest worry is that they will make a big deal about the missing vin plate. Itís never going to be a daily worse comes to worse Iíll have to buy a cab n redo some work.
Posted via Mobile Device
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 12,710
Re: new to this platform

FWIW, your truck's original VIN "should" have been:
If V8 fleetside: CE10D ZAxxxxx
If I6 fleetside: CS10D ZAxxxxx
The x's are the sequential build # identifier.
If you can clean off the frame a little more and figure out those last 5 digits, perhaps DMV can be a little more help. Sounds like the office you went to was willing to run your partial VIN #, so maybe they will help with these possible numbers. On the other hand, you might not like what they find out.. But, at least you'd know and they would also know you're being as up front with it as possible - and might be inclined to help. Unless, of course, it turns out that some dude stole it 5 owners ago. Am assuming no title?

BTW, 6 lug rotors are either 71+ 4x4 or, much more likely, aftermarket (part of a drop kit I'm assuming since you mentioned spindles looking new) - GM didn't make em for 2WD trucks.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
FWIW, your truck's original VIN "should" have been:
If V8 fleetside: CE10D ZAxxxxx
If I6 fleetside: CS10D ZAxxxxx
The x's are the sequential build # identifier.
If you can clean off the frame a little more and figure out those last 5 digits, perhaps DMV can be a little more help. Sounds like the office you went to was willing to run your partial VIN #, so maybe they will help with these possible numbers. On the other hand, you might not like what they find out.. But, at least you'd know and they would also know you're being as up front with it as possible - and might be inclined to help. Unless, of course, it turns out that some dude stole it 5 owners ago. Am assuming no title?

BTW, 6 lug rotors are either 71+ 4x4 or, much more likely, aftermarket (part of a drop kit I'm assuming since you mentioned spindles looking new) - GM didn't make em for 2WD trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
sweet so its ZA plus the 5 digits i have already. thought someone mentioned that 6lug came on the pre 70 trucks.
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

another question for you guys. what all needs to be done to run 73+ arms?
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #18
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
FWIW, your truck's original VIN "should" have been:
If V8 fleetside: CE10D ZAxxxxx
If I6 fleetside: CS10D ZAxxxxx
The x's are the sequential build # identifier.
If you can clean off the frame a little more and figure out those last 5 digits, perhaps DMV can be a little more help. Sounds like the office you went to was willing to run your partial VIN #, so maybe they will help with these possible numbers. On the other hand, you might not like what they find out.. But, at least you'd know and they would also know you're being as up front with it as possible - and might be inclined to help. Unless, of course, it turns out that some dude stole it 5 owners ago. Am assuming no title?

BTW, 6 lug rotors are either 71+ 4x4 or, much more likely, aftermarket (part of a drop kit I'm assuming since you mentioned spindles looking new) - GM didn't make em for 2WD trucks.
I have taken this vin in with the bill of sale to DMV. DMV said it wasn't in the system i would have to take the truck once it was done with all receipts of parts I have put on it. then they would verify the vin and issue new registration .
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine
Senior Member
 
'68OrangeSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 4,354
Re: new to this platform

OK. We didn't know it was a GMC. My sequence was for a Chevy. Pic was edited in later. There will be more letters in a GMC code. A ''Z'' could also mean 0 for 1970, besides Z for Fremont in the full VIN.
My '68 C/10 has a VIN of CS148Z123XXX. The Chevy Stepside's frame VIN is 8Z123XXX.
My '71 GMC Jimmy's VIN is KE114-S134XXX. The [-] dash is a GMC thing, It denotes special Pennsylvania-mandated equipment if there's a letter code, and a dash if none. The S is for St Louis, MO assembly. I guess the 1 after the S is for 1971. Funny, I could not find the frame VIN on the Jimmy. I've had that truck for 23 years, and I never noticed it didn't have one.

__________________


Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-09-2018 at 11:54 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
OK. We didn't know it was a GMC. My sequence was for a Chevy. Pic was edited in later. There will be more letters in a GMC code. A ''Z'' could also mean 0 for 1970, besides Z for Fremont in the full VIN.
My '68 C/10 has a VIN of CS148Z123XXX. The Chevy Stepside's frame VIN is 8Z123XXX.
My '71 GMC Jimmy's VIN is KE114-S134XXX. The [-] dash is a GMC thing, It denotes special Pennsylvania-mandated equipment if there's a letter code, and a dash if none. The S is for St Louis, MO assembly. I guess the 1 after the S is for 1971. Funny, I could not find the frame VIN on the Jimmy. I've had that truck for 23 years, and I never noticed it didn't have one.

it took some brake cleaner and sandpaper to get mine to show. hopefully that fame vin will be enough.
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #21
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 12,710
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
thought someone mentioned that 6lug came on the pre 70 trucks.
C10 (2WD) and K5/10 (4WD) were 6 lug thru 70. In 71 and newer, only K5/10s had 6 lug wheel, whereas C10s switched to 5 lugs in 71. All Cs and Ks switched to disk brakes after 1970 - that is why there are indeed factory 5 and 6 lug disk brake rotors - it's just that the 6 lug disk brake rotors were all from K5/10s. 6 lug disk brake rotors are available via aftermarket mfgrs for retrofit onto pre-71 C trucks.
EDIT: And I think this is what is on your truck - aftermarket drop spindle/6 lug disk brake retrofit kit. They are made so folks can carry a single spare (6 lug) and not have to swap out their 6 lug rear axles in order to get front disks. There are also 5 lug rear axle kits - which would be a good option if, for example, someone had swapped on 5 lug front disks. Then you could just swap the rear axles and have 5 lugs all around. Anyway, irrelevant, you have 6 lugs, likely aftermarket in the front.

Last edited by jocko; 08-10-2018 at 12:20 AM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #22
GreaseMonkey23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: bakersfield Ca
Posts: 14
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
C10 (2WD) and K5/10 (4WD) were 6 lug thru 70. In 71 and newer, only K5/10s had 6 lug wheel, whereas C10s switched to 5 lugs in 71. All Cs and Ks switched to disk brakes after 1970 - that is why there are indeed factory 5 and 6 lug disk brake rotors - it's just that the 6 lug disk brake rotors were all from K5/10s. 6 lug disk brake rotors are available via aftermarket mfgrs for retrofit onto pre-71 C trucks.
gotcha thanks. learned alot in these past couple of days.
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine
Senior Member
 
'68OrangeSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 4,354
Re: new to this platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
it took some brake cleaner and sandpaper to get mine to show. hopefully that fame vin will be enough.
As I've read on this forum, they're not always there, especially GMCs.
Lucky for me, my Jimmy came from California. So the AZ MVD only wanted to inspect it for all the brake lights, turn signals and stuff working. Then they titled it as a 2DSW -- two door station wagon. When I told the woman inspector it was a First Generation SUV, she said: "I'm doing you a favor. You DON'T want to pay for it licensed as an SUV.'' Since it's only about $32 bucks a year for registration, I guess she was right. I found an Arizona 1969-72 yellow license plate in my collection [I've been collecting plates since I was a kid.] And with that Year Of Manufacture (YOM) plate and collector car insurance, I'm emissions-exempt.
Otherwise ADOT still requires vehicles 1967 and later to pass emissions in Pima and Maricopa Counties.
__________________


Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #24
lolife99
Old Member
 
lolife99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mid-MO
Posts: 22,417
Re: new to this platform

You already have drop spindles.
I’m not sure why you want to switch to tubular a-arms and different spindles, that you discussed in pm.
A better picture of your a-arms would help identify them.
If they have rubber cross shaft bushings they are 73-87.
__________________
Keith
Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
WTB: Radio Delete Plates and clips.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com