The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #26
robs71k5
K5drive

Re: soft topper tops

On the newer (not newest) softopper the Velcro strip on the pole with the topper is too wide and interferes with the glass when you open or close the door . It's ok if the window is halfway 2/3 ds way up but full up won't work . I have talked to others with same issue . Also the window has about 1/2 " inch of gap above full up position that doesn't reach to cover . Starting if wonder if the Chinese blue prints are the same !
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #27
tristan

Hey Rob, I have one of your windshield headers which I've just had painted ochre - came out fantastic although not yet installed. Is there something similar for the tailgate? I don't want to drill mine after spending all of that money on bodywork and paint, and I don't want to glue velcro to it either.
Attached Images

tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #28
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Hey Rob, I have one of your windshield headers which I've just had painted ochre - came out fantastic although not yet installed. Is there something similar for the tailgate? I don't want to drill mine after spending all of that money on bodywork and paint, and I don't want to glue velcro to it either.
I used a thin stainless tailgate protector, and put the velcro on it.
Attached Images

hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #29
1972 Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
I used a thin stainless tailgate protector, and put the velcro on it.
Love this idea!!! Where did you get the as tailgate protector?
Eric
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
Blazerowner

I had problems with the rear window channel contacting the top when closing the door. There's no way I can close my doors with the window up. I bought mine about 1.5-2 years so has the design changed since? I have the Velcro strip that runs where the rear of the window is. I was told the window goes in front of that but there is no way.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
robs71k5
K5drive

Tristan that looks absalutely awesome . You should just remember when you drill the holes . You need to have the Header pushed down all the way at all four bolt locations so the Header is squarely bottomed out. I had a couple of xtra buddies to help complete this task. Hope you get some pictures posted on my thread of your completed install . Thanks for showing this ! Awesome !
Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #32
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy View Post
Love this idea!!! Where did you get the as tailgate protector?
Eric
I got it from Bill's trucks here in Canada, but I'm sure they are available near you. It's designed to fit perfectly on the 67-72 tailgate. I do recall it was very expensive for what it is, but well worth it IMO.

located on page 106, item # 21-510-G -----> http://www.billstruckshop.com/Catalo...Jan%202017.pdf
Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #33
Blazerowner

How about this at lmc? Does yours mount using the existing holes from the lift gate strip?
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=128
Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #34
Blazerowner

Found this too.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/custom_accessories.htm
Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #35
hemi43

I used a new tailgate, so I had to drill holes on the inside of the tailgate. FWIW, here's a picture of how I fasten the front of my Softopper. I didn't want to use that ugly aluminum strip they supplied, so I put the domes right on the header. I used that aluminum strip as a drill fixture. Nice a clean and no leaks !!
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #36
Blazerowner

I didn't want to drill on the header so I fabbed up a fixture that bolts to the top mounts. They supply the aluminum strip to drill a few less holes but I opted for none. I like the top but the issue with not being able to close my doors with the windows up sucks. I called them and sent pictures and they were not in the least bit helpful.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #37
6768chevylover

Okay. bought the new top. I have an issue now. Got it installed and took it for a ride. My driver side door had adjusted itself to be touching at the top right mounting point and gave me a bigger gap on the left top side. I have shims in the front body mount and I believe in the mount behind the door. Is it as easy as removing shims? If it is which one?
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #38
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I didn't want to drill on the header so I fabbed up a fixture that bolts to the top mounts. They supply the aluminum strip to drill a few less holes but I opted for none. I like the top but the issue with not being able to close my doors with the windows up sucks. I called them and sent pictures and they were not in the least bit helpful.
I'm still not sure why you think you can't close the door with the windows up ? The only issue closing the door with the window FULLY up, is that it slightly pinches the drip flap. It's no big deal because I just lift it and let it go to outside of the glass. One way to prevent this is to leave the glass down 1/2".
If you have difficulty understanding what I'm trying to say, I can take a video for you and post the link.
Dan
Old 09-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #39
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768chevylover View Post
Okay. bought the new top. I have an issue now. Got it installed and took it for a ride. My driver side door had adjusted itself to be touching at the top right mounting point and gave me a bigger gap on the left top side. I have shims in the front body mount and I believe in the mount behind the door. Is it as easy as removing shims? If it is which one?
A picture of the problem would help us greatly. :-)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #40
Blazerowner

My issue is not at the top of the window rather the back. I was told the flap below goes inside the window. Well If I tried to close my door it is so tight it would shatter my window. The rubber channel on the back of the door rubs against the top material as well. I literally have to unbutton the top to keep it from nearly ripping off the top part of the rubber. Maybe I need to bend the flap or something? I have seen pictures where it's inside the window, but the window is pretty close the bracket holding the plastic strip. When my door is closed my window rolls up inside the strip. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
I'm still not sure why you think you can't close the door with the windows up ? The only issue closing the door with the window FULLY up, is that it slightly pinches the drip flap. It's no big deal because I just lift it and let it go to outside of the glass. One way to prevent this is to leave the glass down 1/2".
If you have difficulty understanding what I'm trying to say, I can take a video for you and post the link.
Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by Blazerowner; 09-25-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #41
robs71k5
K5drive

Kirk when you roll up your window all the way does it not come into call contact with your the composite piece that the Velcro is sewn to (rear of door riveted to pole) my installation looks extremely close to yours and find it hard to believe I'm the only one experiencing the issue .
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #42
robs71k5
K5drive

Your second picture show perfectly the path of the window wold come up and block your door from opening unless you roll down the window a little to clear the plastic part with the Velcro on it to secure the top on aft side of window
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #43
Blazerowner

Exactly, the window according to them should close with the attachment/material/velcro inside the window. I just don't see how this can happen without slamming the door and possibly breaking the glass. I tried unbolting the bed rail and pushing it toward the interior but there is very little to work with. Look at post #2 and his window is outside the strip.

Last edited by Blazerowner; 09-25-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #44
rsavage

I had a softopper on my 71 and I do not believe that the window was meant to go up against the outside or that it could. Wouldn't shed water very well like that and would have put so much bend stress on the widow that it would have broken. That was always my complaint with it having to have the windows down enough for the back edge to clear the plastic velcro strip. I will be buying another one when I get to that point on my 69 project. Wish they had redesigned it, but they are the only game in town
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #45
grillzy

In pic #2 could it be you have that bracket 180deg the wrong way? That would move the hoop inside the truck more almost the distance its out.
grillzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #46
hemi43

Your bed rail is too far forward. That plastic Velcro piece has to be able to bend inwards when you close the door. Right now, when you close your door, your glass is too close to the aluminum support frame. Unfortunately my top is off my Blazer at the moment but I`ll take some pictures later this week when I put it back on. I did however take a picture of the location of my rail for comparison. Although it`s very close to yours, mine is a bit further back and this makes a huge difference. That rubber piece you said that rubbed against the top, well, mine just barely touches it.
Attached Images

Last edited by hemi43; 09-26-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #47
robs71k5
K5drive

Hemi43 is your door closed in that picture?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #48
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71k5 View Post
Hemi43 is your door closed in that picture?
Yes.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #49
robs71k5
K5drive

I think we are saying the same thing from two different directions. You say you have to be worried what side the glass goes on when you roll up your window. We all agree with that. What we are saying is that if you did roll up the window so it's on the inside you can not open the door unless you move it down a couple inches. That's all this is about. I have been working on this and a way to leak proof and ability to close and lock your door windows up all the way for security from the honest people of course!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #50
hemi43

I put the top back on today and took some close-ups of the door glass area just so you could have something to compare yours to. The last picture shows the only issue I have when closing the door with the glass all the way up, in that the glass will sometimes catch the the drip flap.
Attached Images