The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
capone550

87 V3500 emissions issues

Took my truck to get emission done on it today. They failed me because of the catalytic convertor and also for the AIR injection system. I have all the factory AIR injection stuff on the truck. I recently had all new exhaust put on the truck with the exact same type of convertor that was on the truck. The guy at the exhaust shop said he installed a 3 way convertor. (I guess it's the new style of cats they are producing now) I called and talked to the tech people at the emissions place and he told me I should have 2 cats on my truck. One is called an OCR cat and the other is just an OC cat. They should be inline right before the muffler and should have a feed from the AIR pump right in between the two cats. I have looked and looked all over the internet and can not find a single V or R series truck that had this type of set up. Does anyone have an 87 or 88 R/V series truck with two cats and an AIR feed on it? Im totally frustrated because they won't pass it without the original equipment on it even if the readings are up to par.
capone550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
DieselSJ

Re: 87 V3500 emissions issues

My 87 R30 had the factory exhaust when I bought it. Single cat. No air injection going to the cat - air injection went to the manifolds only. I did end up replacing the cat with a Magnaflow high flow piece and my numbers got better. I'd make the smog guy show you where it says those pieces are necessary. You should be able to determine what you need from the emissions label under the hood. Or find a different emissions station.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Tiger Joe

I have an 87 half ton 350. AIR and there is no tube to cats and only 1 cat.

Stock exhaust was y pipe off the manifold to one big ol converter. Sounds like you need to find a new emission place
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #4
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone550 View Post
Took my truck to get emission done on it today. They failed me because of the catalytic convertor and also for the AIR injection system. I have all the factory AIR injection stuff on the truck. I recently had all new exhaust put on the truck with the exact same type of convertor that was on the truck. The guy at the exhaust shop said he installed a 3 way convertor. (I guess it's the new style of cats they are producing now) I called and talked to the tech people at the emissions place and he told me I should have 2 cats on my truck. One is called an OCR cat and the other is just an OC cat. They should be inline right before the muffler and should have a feed from the AIR pump right in between the two cats. I have looked and looked all over the internet and can not find a single V or R series truck that had this type of set up. Does anyone have an 87 or 88 R/V series truck with two cats and an AIR feed on it? Im totally frustrated because they won't pass it without the original equipment on it even if the readings are up to par.
I have a V30 back home but I'm away for a bit, if you still need the info when I get home I'll take a picture for ya. Mine is 100% factory original.

What happened out there in Colorado? The nazi environmentalists come out from California and take over?
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

Call someone higher up in the emission's office. Find out what the rules really are. The local person may not know what applies to 30 year old vehicles or be familiar with what 30 year old OEM stuff looked like.

From your description, sounds like what is on my 09 Ford Escape. V6. It has a small cat right at each manifold and a larger one under the passenger compartment. That may be all that emission person has ever seen.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
chengny

Maybe due to your location (CO), your truck came classified as requiring a Federal High Altitude emissions package - or maybe it was originally from CA. Those were the only two applications for an 87 V3500 (350/454) that came up :

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
capone550

I did take the truck into the local tech Inspectors office. He did show me in their book that my truck did have exactly the system in that diagram. But he did say that the cat after the muffler didn't really do what they had planned for them to do. Because this was the first year for the cats on the HD trucks, and what we found was the only year for dual cats, they didn't have a ton of data. They put the two cats on in hopes of cleaning them up a bit for the Cali regulations.
He looked over what I had installed and gave me a waiver for the single cat. What a pain in the ass this has been. Thanks for all of the info guys!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
capone550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
I have a V30 back home but I'm away for a bit, if you still need the info when I get home I'll take a picture for ya. Mine is 100% factory original.

What happened out there in Colorado? The nazi environmentalists come out from California and take over?
This whole state is being overtaken by Californians.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
abig84

so glad illinois did away with older vehicle emissions. i had to junk my first truck due to repeated failing. it was due anyways but spent so much money trying to get a offroad truck that barely sees any on road driving to pass.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
Jstock85

no smog down south either...
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote