The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
dirtybirdindian

Rear lower leaf kits?

I'm looking at these rear leaf kits that supposedly lower the rear a few inches. Are the springs and other parts good quality or am I better off buying quality stuff piece by piece? Wich kits are the best in your opinion?

....or mono leaf?
dirtybirdindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear lower leaf kits?

Posies has them but sit down before you read the prices. They are a rod shop but their main focus is selling custom springs. http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/

Page 38 http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/.../pages3247.pdf
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
B_Hix

depending on the rear you have you may be able to get them from Summit racing. I have a Firebird rearend and they have a set of drop leafs for me for ~350.00
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
parkwood

I use the rear leaf spring kit from TCI and have had good luck with them.. easy to install... and the price is around 400 for everything..
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
dirtybirdindian

Does the TCI rear leaf kit have an offset to center the axle in the fender openings?...would that cause any problems if I keep the torque tube rearend for now?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
_Ogre

dirtybird: put the type of truck you have in your signature. it helps people know what your working on.
i was going to reply and then i read torque tube which means your working on a 47 to 55 1st
parkwood's pictures are of a 55-59 truck with the axle flipped on top of the springs

your axle is already on top of your springs
lowering blocks and new u-bolts will get you down a couple inches on the cheap

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
parkwood

Like Orge said a picture is worth 1000 words..
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
dirtybirdindian

I'm working on a '53 3100...original 216 with the original torque tube rearend.

The rear shocks are gone and the springs are........ well......tired! I have the box off and figured it would be a good time to clean up the rear end and update the suspension. The 216 still runs pretty good so changing to an open rear end might wait until I come across that 261 I'd like to find.

Should I just throw some blocks under it until I update the rear end?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirdindian View Post
I'm working on a '53 3100...original 216 with the original torque tube rearend.

The rear shocks are gone and the springs are........ well......tired! I have the box off and figured it would be a good time to clean up the rear end and update the suspension. The 216 still runs pretty good so changing to an open rear end might wait until I come across that 261 I'd like to find.

Should I just throw some blocks under it until I update the rear end?
I guess the best way to answer your qustion about updating now would depend on how much you are going to drive it up til you do your update.. To install the TCI kit i showed you would have to cut off the spring pads on the rear end and weld the new ones on that come with the kit.. If you are going to be driving it for a while i would think about putting in the kit because it would be there when you do get the time to install the new rear end and you could enjoy the good ride, the only thing you would have to do would weld on new spring pads on the new rear end..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
PurdueSD

I just recieved the tci kit for my 51. The springs, brackets and welds appear to be really high quality. Shocks are monroe. It was honestly nicer than i expected. I didnt mark my axle centerline, but if you can give me a measurement of the stock axle centerline to the rear end of frame rails i will check for you.
Goodluck!
Posted via Mobile Device
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
dirtybirdindian

Looks like +/- 36 1/2" from the center of the axle to the end of the frame rail.

Wouldn't I be able to put the kit in using the stock axle and save the axle brackets to weld on a different rear end when I get one?

What changes have to be made at the transmission output when going to an open rear end?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
mknittle

The problem is that if you keep the torque tube you have to keep the spring perches with the pivot. The reason is that you have two drastically different arcs.a long one(the drive line) and a short one(half the spring) the centers are at different points and the liength of the arcs are drastically different.The pivoting spring perch allows springs to move independantly from the housing.Without it somthing bends or breaks.

Please excuse my poor spelling and typing My brain goes faster than my fingers. Mark

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 09-05-2012 at 09:32 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirdindian View Post
Looks like +/- 36 1/2" from the center of the axle to the end of the frame rail.

Wouldn't I be able to put the kit in using the stock axle and save the axle brackets to weld on a different rear end when I get one?

What changes have to be made at the transmission output when going to an open rear end?
You will have to get the parts from a 3/4 to 1 1/2 ton transmission. they had open drivelines.I don't remember if the half ton output shaft is the same though.I think it is.
you will need the rear bearing retainer(cover) with the seal and the yoke. you will also need a drive line. I would get one that fits one end or the otherat a wrecking yard that is too long. and get it shortened.

hope this helps

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
dirtybirdindian

Thanks for the replies....I wanted to verify that I could install the TCI kit ( everything except the new perches ) with the existing perches for now. Springs would be wider than the perches but that shouldn't be a problem should it?

This would allow me to clean up the rear end and get some good springs & shocks on while my box is off...and wait until I want to drop in a more modern straight 6 and open rear end.

Don't be afraid to tell me if I'm completely missing the boat on this one!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Seamus

I have a Chassis Engineering rear end kit in my 1st series '55 and a TCI it in my '56 (still in progress), both have Camaro rear ends. The CE kit made a big difference in the ride from the original flipped springs with a couple of leafs removed. I have a pair of Posie's 2" lowered springs on my '55 Bel Air Sport Coupe and it drives great also but they are more expensive than the TCI & CE.
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
dirtybirdindian

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can install the TCI rear leaf kit with my torque tube rear end(using the original perches)? These springs do or do not have an offset to center the axle in the fender opening?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
PurdueSD

you are wrong... the torque tube has that flex joint built into the spring mount on the axle. You need that or your suspension/ driveline will bind.
Posted via Mobile Device
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #18
Dongray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSD View Post
I just recieved the tci kit for my 51. The springs, brackets and welds appear to be really high quality. Shocks are monroe. It was honestly nicer than i expected. I didnt mark my axle centerline, but if you can give me a measurement of the stock axle centerline to the rear end of frame rails i will check for you.
Goodluck!
Posted via Mobile Device
PurdueSD, I know this is an old thread but how did the TCI kit work out for you? I have heard it is a well made kit but also the ride wasnt a good as some had hoped.
Thanks,
Dongray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongray View Post
PurdueSD, I know this is an old thread but how did the TCI kit work out for you? I have heard it is a well made kit but also the ride wasnt a good as some had hoped.
Thanks,
FWIW, I used the TCI kit on my '58 and it rides like a car.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #20
Dongray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
FWIW, I used the TCI kit on my '58 and it rides like a car.
I like that the posies require less modifications but after you add all the pieces needed to complete it your back to the TCI price or more....
Also, does the TCI kit compensate for the 2 inch offset for the wheel in the fender well?

Thanks!
Dongray is offline   Reply With Quote