The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Shasta123

Best way to strap down a 1964 c10 with air bags on trailer for a long haul

Need help or suggestions on the best way to strap down a 1964 c10 on air bags for a long 600 mile trip on 18 foot featherlite car trailer with d rings on all four corners of the trailer, I have hauled this truck before but not since I put air ride on the truck. Should I strap down from the frame rails in front and around the rear axle in back? Should I slam the truck down on the trailer or leave it aired up somewhat? Any help will greatly appreciated I do not want to damage the new air bags or suspension on this long haul.
Shasta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
James the III

Re: Best way to strap down a 1964 c10 with air bags on trailer for a long haul

I'd strap it down the same way.. with the air it use at ride height ..
With 2 extra straps. on the rear frame to keep/limit the upper movement.. tho. the shocks if picked correctly should do this..
but. straping it down should be the same as anyother vehicle..
Again if not sure if the rear bags or the shocks will be the up limiter for movement.. I'd strap down the rear frame..with 2 extra straps.. for a total of 6 2 front, 2 rear axle 2 on the rear frame.
I'd not dump the air bags.. I'd think the weight pounding on an empty bag would not be good for them..
The extra strapping of the rear frame also will take the pressure spikes off the tank and valves.. from the bouncing of the rear of the truck.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:18 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Yeah ride height and strap it down normally.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
cooperhw

Just my $0.02 is I would be a little worried about it leaking a little air out on such a long ride. It would be the same as airing the system up, removing power to your compressor, and taking off on a trip. If your system would not ever leak or need the compressor to come on, no problem. If it did leak a bit, could your straps come loose allowing the truck to move. Not good.
I really don't know "how to", just wanting to throw that out there.
A buddy runs a high end restoration company and finished a $60K restoration on a Maserati Ghibly and had the shipper pick it up to transport back to New York. Next day the shipper called from Colorado and the car had come loose it the trailer during the night. Slammed back and forth enough to crush the nose, rear tail panel, and slightly on the doors. Anyhow, had to do over a 100K to put it back together after ordering a nose from Italy. Bodies are one piece.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Whenever I've hauled my frame laying 70, I put blocks under the frame and air the truck out on them, then chain the truck as normal.

Cut some 2x6 or 2x8s to about a foot long and stack them (screwing them together) to the desired height. The ones I have are 4 boards, so it's 6" total height. I built three of these, placing 1 under the front crossmember centered, and 1 on the frame in front of each rear wheel (you'll see where the frame sweeps up, I place them there.)

These ensure that the suspension doesn't air down and thus loosen up your straps or chains. It's also really tough to chain down a truck that lays frame if you air it all the way down onto the trailer deck, which is the other option.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc View Post
Whenever I've hauled my frame laying 70, I put blocks under the frame and air the truck out on them, then chain the truck as normal.

Cut some 2x6 or 2x8s to about a foot long and stack them (screwing them together) to the desired height. The ones I have are 4 boards, so it's 6" total height. I built three of these, placing 1 under the front crossmember centered, and 1 on the frame in front of each rear wheel (you'll see where the frame sweeps up, I place them there.)

These ensure that the suspension doesn't air down and thus loosen up your straps or chains. It's also really tough to chain down a truck that lays frame if you air it all the way down onto the trailer deck, which is the other option.
This sounds like a "great solution". I would never trust it to not leak down.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Willie Makeit

if one would chain it down by the wheels or axles as it should be then there's no chance of it coming loose in the event of losing pressure. whether you air it up or not is irrelevant, but i personally would not haul a vehicle and depend ONLY on the trailer suspension for cushioning, but that's just me.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Kudzupatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
if one would chain it down by the wheels or axles as it should be then there's no chance of it coming loose in the event of losing pressure.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #9
andrewmp6

And honestly i never seen a system leak unless it was installed wrong or lack of maintenance.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote