The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #101
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about, do you have a picture of how you built them and how to set them up for use?
I don't have anything off hand, but there are some good youtube videos explaining Clecos. You can buy a kit that has some Clecos and the Cleco pliers to get started. Summit Racing sells them or you can find some on Amazon.

Here's a youtube link to TheFabForums.com giving an overview:

He's got a link to the ones he demos in the video description.

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.

Last edited by 1971_c10; 04-20-2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: fix typos
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #102
1971_c10

FINALLY!!! The header fiasco is over!

Even with a cracked rib, when these showed back up today after some rework, I went to work. Starting to look like an engine!

The details ... So way back in January I contacted a company who specializes in aftermarket headers on custom jobs. Their slogan is big tubes in tight places. Exactly what I needed. A 1 7/8" primary long tube header. The company: Ultimate Headers.

And these things fit very well - as they should. They worked with Rob from No Limit to tweak and dial in the fit. They are well built too, using 321 stainless, cast flanges and turn down tubes and merge collectors. They also have this improved ball and socket design.

So hats off to Ultimate Headers. There were some growing pains but in the end they made things right.

Passenger Side
Name:  IMG_2365.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  75.6 KB

Driver Side
Name:  IMG_2366.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  76.6 KB

Close up of steering shaft area. I've got the steering shaft mocked up with a jig I made the last time the cab was on.
Name:  IMG_2367.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  58.2 KB

Top view showing the collector placement
Name:  IMG_2368.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  79.8 KB

Merge collectors baby!
Name:  IMG_2369.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  41.3 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #103
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey Chris

Your build is coming along nicely. Like the new headers.

What horsepower are you running and what size fuel line? Are you running a fuel filter somewhere? Is it possible to see a picture of the fuel line termination in the rear and maybe your fuel filter setup?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #104
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Hey Chris

Your build is coming along nicely. Like the new headers.

What horsepower are you running and what size fuel line? Are you running a fuel filter somewhere? Is it possible to see a picture of the fuel line termination in the rear and maybe your fuel filter setup?
Thanks!

On HP, the config of the engine I'm running (418 cu in) dynos at 621 HP at sea level. I'm up at 5400 ft so I expect it to be around 520 or so using simple formulas that don't account for the engine setup in any way.

I am planning to run a fuel filter. I'll actually have 2 in the system, a 100 micron pre-filter on the pump in the tank and a 10 micron post filter somewhere. I still need to decide on the mounting. The filter is rather large because it is rated for plenty of flow. I am running 3/8" hard line and -6 flex line. The 3/8" lines are plenty for a high pressure EFI application and could easily support over 1000 HP. It's the pump that makes the big difference and the fact it's a 58 psi system vs a 7-13 psi system. My estimated psi loss is right around a touch more than 1 psi so not much on 58 psi but huge on a carb'd setup running say 8 psi. Hence why it's best to run the regulator as close to the fuel delivery system as possible, since the pump will "compensate" for the pressure loss. If the regulator is right at the tank and fixed at say 58 psi, then the injectors could very well only see 56-57 psi. Depends on the injector whether that matters or not. Most likely not for a street car. Race car different story.

Here's a shot of the rear line setup a took awhile back when I had the tank still in the chassis and went ahead and made those lines. I have yet to mount the filter. Where I want to mount the filter requires $300 in tools since I don't have a 37 deg flare setup and I've only found one that looks worth while (The Eastwood bench mount turret style one). But I do have a shot of the filter and regulator in a previous post (ignore the Option 1 as I'm just linking straight to that photo from that post).

Here's where I want to put the filter. Basically redo the junction there and insert the filter. But I don't want a bunch of flex line down there so I was going to just bend the hard line and put some fittings on to go direct to the filter. I currently have AN fittings, but I need to see if there are some other options since the filter just has a -8 o-ring thread on the ends.

Name:  IMG_2372.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  61.4 KB

And here is the shot of the rear fuel line termination. Rob did his slightly different on 'Goldie' which he's building right now for himself, but otherwise the same.

Name:  IMG_2018.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  38.1 KB

Old 04-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #105
SCOTI

Headers look very nice.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #106
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_c10 View Post
Thanks!

On HP, the config of the engine I'm running (418 cu in) dynos at 621 HP at sea level. I'm up at 5400 ft so I expect it to be around 520 or so using simple formulas that don't account for the engine setup in any way.

I am planning to run a fuel filter. I'll actually have 2 in the system, a 100 micron pre-filter on the pump in the tank and a 10 micron post filter somewhere. I still need to decide on the mounting. The filter is rather large because it is rated for plenty of flow. I am running 3/8" hard line and -6 flex line. The 3/8" lines are plenty for a high pressure EFI application and could easily support over 1000 HP. It's the pump that makes the big difference and the fact it's a 58 psi system vs a 7-13 psi system. My estimated psi loss is right around a touch more than 1 psi so not much on 58 psi but huge on a carb'd setup running say 8 psi. Hence why it's best to run the regulator as close to the fuel delivery system as possible, since the pump will "compensate" for the pressure loss. If the regulator is right at the tank and fixed at say 58 psi, then the injectors could very well only see 56-57 psi. Depends on the injector whether that matters or not. Most likely not for a street car. Race car different story.

Here's a shot of the rear line setup a took awhile back when I had the tank still in the chassis and went ahead and made those lines. I have yet to mount the filter. Where I want to mount the filter requires $300 in tools since I don't have a 37 deg flare setup and I've only found one that looks worth while (The Eastwood bench mount turret style one). But I do have a shot of the filter and regulator in a previous post (ignore the Option 1 as I'm just linking straight to that photo from that post).

Here's where I want to put the filter. Basically redo the junction there and insert the filter. But I don't want a bunch of flex line down there so I was going to just bend the hard line and put some fittings on to go direct to the filter. I currently have AN fittings, but I need to see if there are some other options since the filter just has a -8 o-ring thread on the ends.

Attachment 1646526

And here is the shot of the rear fuel line termination. Rob did his slightly different on 'Goldie' which he's building right now for himself, but otherwise the same.

Attachment 1646525
Chris

Thanks for the great explanation. I am in the middle of doing the fuel filter as well. A lot of choices and tube end options. Not sure about running either annealed stainless, aluminum lines or maybe what you ran. I see that you used the green copper variety of line (dont know the name of it).
Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #107
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Headers look very nice.
Thanks SCOTI! It was a mission to get to this point.

Quote:
Chris

Thanks for the great explanation. I am in the middle of doing the fuel filter as well. A lot of choices and tube end options. Not sure about running either annealed stainless, aluminum lines or maybe what you ran. I see that you used the green copper variety of line (dont know the name of it).
I'm glad to help any way I can! I actually had No Limit run the lines when they built the chassis (I was trying to get the truck done in a hurry last year until I hit a couple major snags). They are the "olive low carbon steel copper brazed" variety. So the tube material is steel, just the seam uses copper braze. The olive colored coating helps for corrosion. It's a toss up on what material you use on fuel line. I'd use either stainless or steel. The stainless stuff can be a major pain to work with but would probably last longer with today's fuel blends. But then there is that cost thing. I think the steel with the coating will do just fine for me. I may wind up painting the lines black before it's all said and done.

And I had a little fun with the GoPro today and took some video footage of the headers a little closer up for a better look.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #108
Trackman101

.......my vote, put the regulator and filters on the frame. Keep the firewall clean.
Trackman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #109
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Where would option two be for mounting the regulator?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #110
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman101 View Post
.......my vote, put the regulator and filters on the frame. Keep the firewall clean.
I'm with ya in keeping the firewall clean. I pretty much have tossed out the Option 1 and working a frame mount on the filter.

Quote:
Where would option two be for mounting the regulator?
Option 2 is putting the regulator at the back of the fuel rails. At the time I made this photo (linked back from that post #34) I was thinking of attaching to the firewall, but today I'm thinking of fab'ing a bracket off the back of one of the cylinder heads and keeping the regulator as low as I can. Although I am looking at a frame mount option as Trackman101 suggested near the front of the engine on the passenger side.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #111
Trackman101

Mounting it to the back of the motor is a good idea. It's a nice piece.
Trackman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #112
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey Chris

How did you run your back brake line? Where did it start, and did you run the line to the rear end by a flex line and then out to the calipers or on the chassis rear cross member and then pierce the chassis with a bulkhead through the frame, and then flex lines to the caliper? Any pics would be great.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #113
Advanced Design

Those headers are a work of art...matching the looks of the engine overall. Well done! I liked your video too.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #114
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman101 View Post
Mounting it to the back of the motor is a good idea. It's a nice piece.
I think I'll work on a bracket this week.

Quote:
Hey Chris

How did you run your back brake line? Where did it start, and did you run the line to the rear end by a flex line and then out to the calipers or on the chassis rear cross member and then pierce the chassis with a bulkhead through the frame, and then flex lines to the caliper? Any pics would be great.
This is the where the No Limit advantage starts to come into play when comparing to others ... the brake lines are included in the base chassis price. But I would have done it the same way. Rob and I tend to think alike on many things. The rear has a single line from a -3 AN header up front that runs back the driver side rail to the rear cross member (the one with No Limit laser cut in it). From there the line is T'd to the left and right and terminates at through the rail headers that have a -3 AN male on the wheel side of the rail. So I just need to run flex lines from there to the calipers. I'm planning to pick up some pre-made lines from Wilwood. In the front I'll run some hardlines from the master cylinder to the -3 AN header with a 2 psi residual valve in each line. The residual pressure valves aren't really required since the master cylinder is above the brakes, but they help with pedal feel hence why I went with just a 2 psi vs a 10 psi). The front routing is the same, single line to a T, left and right terminate at through rail headers in front of the coilover (similar to the factory location).

Here's a shot of the brake line bulkhead up front. The green tape are the -3 AN fittings. The front one is the front and rear one the rear.
Name:  BrakeLineBulkhead.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  12.9 KB

Here's a shot showing the rear. The green tape in front of the coilover is the -3 AN fitting for the flex line.
Name:  RearBrakeLineCloseUp.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  18.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Those headers are a work of art...matching the looks of the engine overall. Well done! I liked your video too.
Thanks Doug!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #115
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Thanks Chris for the explanation. Rob does a great job. You can tell by your chassis. Everything has been well thought out. I have his front and rear suspension also. I like the idea of piercing through the chassis instead of having the lines attached to the axle.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #116
nlped

Fantastic looking setup. This will be a blast to drive.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #117
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
Fantastic looking setup. This will be a blast to drive.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #118
1971_c10

Ok, Trackman101 was the tipping vote on the regulator. Some 2" 3/16 bar stock, cutoff saw, grinder and welder and BAM! - the start of a bracket. Here it is in the ugly state. I still need to trim the corners and other shaping to make it look a little more respectable, but it serves the purpose. Excuse the temporary hardware. It's what I could find laying around.

Drilled a couple holes after cutting a section off of the bar stock.
Name:  IMG_2376.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  60.5 KB

Here it is after cutting and welding. Still need to trim the corners and make it a little nicer to look at. This thing may wind up serving double duty - if there is enough space on the backside that's where I plan to mount my fuel and oil pressure sensors. So this thing could kill two birds with one stone.
Name:  IMG_2380.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  57.7 KB

With the air cleaner on it's not even visible from this angle.
Name:  IMG_2379.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  64.7 KB

View from the driver side.
Name:  IMG_2381.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  63.0 KB

Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #119
JohnJ@RideTech

Man! This thing is sweet!
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #120
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech View Post
Man! This thing is sweet!
Thanks John! I can't wait to start "abusing" my ridetech HQ coil overs and putting them to the test.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #121
JohnJ@RideTech

Give'em Hell!
Just because they have a warranty doesn't mean we expect you to baby them..lol
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #122
1971_c10

Yes Sir!!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #123
Theboatandcarman

wow! kinda jealous of your budget looks like itll out perform most new stuff

2017 GMC Canyon diesel
1968 Chevrolet C20
1970 Mercedes 280S
(WTB 1968 4wd barn door suburban)
Theboatandcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #124
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey Chris

Where are you planning to mount your battery and running your cables (chassis rail and location on the rail?.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #125
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboatandcarman View Post
wow! kinda jealous of your budget looks like itll out perform most new stuff
Hehe ... it's been a long time coming! Most guys start on a build then work as budget allows, taking many years to finish. I started on the budget and waited on the build and trying to do this thing in under 2 years.

Quote:
Hey Chris

Where are you planning to mount your battery and running your cables (chassis rail and location on the rail?.
Oh man, this is one of my "open item" yet to really define. I will probably get the truck running with the battery sitting in the stock location. However, I really desire to get it somewhere in the back on the passenger side. With a stepside bed, the common spot just behind the cab is out, and things are really tight back there otherwise. It's going to be a "decide as I go" once I get the bed on and start on the floor structure. I'm eyeballing right on top of the passenger rail between the bed mounts. The battery would most likely need to lay on its sie but that's not a problem for Optima batteries (which is what I run). The biggest question is how much space I wind up with once I get the floor installed. When I mocked up the raised floor on the factory frame I had about 10.5" to the bottom of the wood, so once I get a subfloor in it's probably like 9.5" (The No Limit chassis isn't any different height wise, in fact I may gain a little more front to back room as they don't kick up the rail as early as the factory chassis). The trick is what I decide to do with the cross members. That's where I may make a custom cross member with an integrated battery box. Who knows...

I've also toyed around with putting it in the cab behind the seat if there is enough room (I plan to mock this up in the coming weeks). No matter where I put the battery, I'll have a large junction over on the driver front side where I'll tie the alternator in and then also the relays for the fans and the power for the fuse box. So I'll at least have a monster cable running over there. I'll then obviously have a monster cable running from the battery to the starter. That's still all up for debate at the moment and one of the reasons I haven't patched the 2 feed through holes in the floor from the old gas tank. I'll still ground everything to the chassis.

Cable routing I'll just use some well insulated cable (pricey stuff) and some of the standard insulated cable hangers you get at the big box stores (that stuff works well). The battery cable would most likely run along the passenger rail with one of the fuel lines. Sounds crazy, but look at a newer car and where they run the battery lines and not much different, other than some of those battery cables are scary huge. So stay tuned on that one!