The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #26
Black_Sheep

Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

Beautiful looking car! I understand your dilemma because I agonized over putting front turn signals on my '37 Packard. It was built without turn signals at both the front and rear.

The lights that special-k suggested would be my first choice because it would be most appropriate for a car of that vintage.

Second choice would be some type of motorcycle light mounted on short stanchions slightly above the bumper.

Third choice would be the headlight/turn signal combo. Even though it would probably be the simplest route it is also the most modern looking option. It would look out of place on an otherwise stock looking vehicle.

On the '37 I couldn't decide, so I left the front turn signals off...

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #27
franken

Why not take look around at the millions of pics of cars and decide for yourself. Who's car is it?
Some would say you need a giant light in the center--I don't.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #28
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=Black_Sheep;8058262]Beautiful looking car! I understand your dilemma because I agonized over putting front turn signals on my '37 Packard. It was built without turn signals at both the front and rear.

The lights that special-k suggested would be my first choice because it would be most appropriate for a car of that vintage.

Second choice would be some type of motorcycle light mounted on short stanchions slightly above the bumper.

Third choice would be the headlight/turn signal combo. Even though it would probably be the simplest route it is also the most modern looking option. It would look out of place on an otherwise stock looking vehicle.

On the '37 I couldn't decide, so I left the front turn signals off...

Absolutely one great looking rare car Black Sheep ,,I can see you staying original as that is what you have for an old classic
All what you said above that others have said is good advice and I am still in the scratching my head which way to go

With mine I feel I can vear off some from original as my 39 is not numbers matching and I am wanting more of a hot rod of the 6o-ies look ,,excuse me now while I save a photo your 37 packard
Old 10-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #29
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

Food for thought!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #30
GOPAPA

Unless I have missed something ,,then this is a misguided turn signal head lamp that I found,, I find that none of the head lights give you turning signals,, only low bean ,high beam and a ground ,,with the 3 prong plugin they come with,

Here's one to prove my point

United Pacific Conversion Headlights S2010LED

A person asks this question about the head light
I have a 72 Dodge Dart Swinger. Will this pug directly in to the current connections and is there a separate plug on the back that I wire my signal wires in to? Direct plug and go, or is this a full rewire? Thanks.
Asked by JOSHUA on October 08, 2016
A:
Thank you for your question. United Pacific S2010LED is a direct plug in. You will have to wire your turn signals to the amber auxiliary light for them to function as a turn signal.
( what a bad answer when they should of said NO! this is not a turn signal equipped head light)

BUT YET when you type in turn signal lights on Google it brings up all these head lights

I am almost positive that none of the head lights have turn signals with-in them ,,all I have found are 3 prong

I am leaning toward a turn signal light fixture to mount on the bumper braces ..just letting you know about the snag i believe I ran into when looking for a head light with a amber turn signal that blinks like a turn signal
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

I don't know of any head light connection that would have turn signals wired to them. There is no vehicle I know of that has this. The turn signals are completely separate form the head light wiring. Your turn signal wiring will have to be ran through out the vehicle from what we have talked about.

You will have to run wires from the lever on the column to both front turn signal lights and both back lights. Depending on your tail lights/brake lights, if it has a double element bulb then it will have the wiring coming out of the housing but that maybe all. On a vehicle most housing do the grounding so 1 wire is parking lights the other is for brakes and turn signals.

My head lights with turn signals cam with the standard connector for the head lights.
The turn signal wires where just 2 extra wires I ran over to the turn signal lights and hooked up.
The connector is one terminal is low beam one is high beam and one is ground.
Your car has no front signal wiring so you have to run the wiring up to the head lights per the lever on the column instructions.
As I stated before depending on the rear lights and how it was wired you will have to do the same thing for them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #32
GOPAPA

Them headlights that was recomended to me for turn signals are not equipped to be turn signals as a lot of us thought . I was hoping they would work,, but after reading up on them ,,I would still have to install turn signals and that is what I am needing more than running lights

No ones fault here,, Not blaming anyone ,,,
I am just sharing this so others wont get took bying them thinking they are getting turning signals ....

Like I stated above ,,I will find what I like the best made out of metal and not plastic that will be fastened to the bumber braces and just peek over the front bumper out towards the ends..
You all have give me some good places to look for them ,,thx guys
Old 10-18-2017, 12:36 AM   #33
mongocanfly
Post Whore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3h9-4bNxUg
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #34
mongocanfly
Post Whore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UA59YHvzVnk
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #35
mongocanfly
Post Whore

the ones I've seen have seperate wiring for the blinkers...https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...rk_Lights.html
Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #36
mongocanfly
Post Whore

like this
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #37
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Them headlights that was recomended to me for turn signals are not equipped to be turn signals as a lot of us thought . I was hoping they would work,, but after reading up on them ,,I would still have to install turn signals and that is what I am needing more than running lights

No ones fault here,, Not blaming anyone ,,,
I am just sharing this so others wont get took bying them thinking they are getting turning signals ....

Like I stated above ,,I will find what I like the best made out of metal and not plastic that will be fastened to the bumber braces and just peek over the front bumper out towards the ends..
You all have give me some good places to look for them ,,thx guys
Not blaming anyone either. I'm just saying the lights I have are both. Turn signal and parking lights. I just didn't need them for the turn signals.
This one will function as mine does.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...UaAjnWEALw_wcB

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #38
GOPAPA

Andy ,, I called Summit Racing and they gave me a number back east to another Summit Person to ask about this light you shared with me about if it will also give me turn signals and the guy said this is the first he ever seen this . but he said he read the reviews and it looks like it has a hook up for turn signals .. Reviews are sometimes iffy ,

So I ask for the manufacturers number and he gave it to me .. I called them out in California and the lady there told me that it has a 3 wire hook up for the headlights and also a 3 WIRE HOOK UP FOR THE TURN SIGNAL LIGHT AND PARKING LIGHT

Just as you said Andy,, I believed you about the one you put in your truck,, I Just wanted to make sure this one would work,,,also knowing that seal beams are in glass ,,I wanted to be sure there was at least two wires , one for hot lead and one for ground ,,and in this case it has two hot wires ,,one for turn signal and one for Parking lights, shipping glass back in forth is not something I like to do..thanks for sticking with me on this ..

Hope this exchange of words helps other out on here because some of the lights advertised with the amber lights in them are only on when you have your head lights on..
Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #39
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Andy ,, I called Summit Racing and they gave me a number back east to another Summit Person to ask about this light you shared with me about if it will also give me turn signals and the guy said this is the first he ever seen this . but he said he read the reviews and it looks like it has a hook up for turn signals .. Reviews are sometimes iffy ,

So I ask for the manufacturers number and he gave it to me .. I called them out in California and the lady there told me that it has a 3 wire hook up for the headlights and also a 3 WIRE HOOK UP FOR THE TURN SIGNAL LIGHT AND PARKING LIGHT

Just as you said Andy,, I believed you about the one you put in your truck,, I Just wanted to make sure this one would work,,,also knowing that seal beams are in glass ,,I wanted to be sure there was at least two wires , one for hot lead and one for ground ,,and in this case it has two hot wires ,,one for turn signal and one for Parking lights, shipping glass back in forth is not something I like to do..thanks for sticking with me on this ..

Hope this exchange of words helps other out on here because some of the lights advertised with the amber lights in them are only on when you have your head lights on..
Good deal man! Glad you got it figured out. Be sure and post some pictures of them installed and working. Once you start wiring holler I help all I can.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club