The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
el_fantasma

Anyone had radiation therapy

I'm having surgery next week to remove a tumor on my tongue. According to the surgeon and oncologist the cancer has not spread so I probably won't need chemo therapy but radiation may be offered. I'd like to know if anyone out there has first hand experience with RT. I've already heard plenty of second-hand stories such as " my dad had RT and worked in the farm everyday " etc. Also, not looking for pity, with all the hurricanes, fires and shootings there are a lot of people worse off than me. If your response is too personal, feel free to PM me. Thanks
Rob
Old 10-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Anyone had radiation therapy

I just had Seed Implants for Prostate Cancer 3 months ago which is Titanium Seeds the size if a grain of rice implanted in and around the Prostate gland to kill the Cancer. It is working as my PSA Levels went from 6.0 to 2.6 .The radiation does make me tired and weak at times but Im glad I did it versus having the Robotic Surgery to remove my prostate and all the negative side effects to go with the surgery.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
slomotion
Old Duffer

I had 40 rounds of RT for prostate cancer 11 years ago. This was a dose everyday Monday through Friday for eight weeks with no excuse to miss even one treatment. My cancer had progressed to the point they were afraid of removing the prostate for fear the cancer would spread. They decided chemo wasn't the way to go, so RT was the only thing left.
The RT is cumulative and painless. Although there aren't supposed to be any side effects, I experienced a couple relatively mild ones. As Flashed mentioned I did get a little tired towards the end of the treatment, but was still able to go about my daily business. (I was working part time, so i wasn't really pushing myself either.)
I can't tell you what the dosage was, but apparently was in the high range. I am sure they have improved in leaps and bounds in the past ten years, but back when I had it done there was minor collateral damage as the radiation passed through other body parts to hit the cancer. It wasn't debilitating and the damage healed without any further secondary treatment. I don't know, but this (ancillary damage) may not be a factor in your case.
If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to share what I can.
I know it's easy to say, but attitude and determination plays a big part in the treatment. You can beat it!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
HotWheelsFan

Had 1 months worth on my chest area. This was 3 years ago and I have had a cough ever since. Also left me tired at the end, and a slight burn on my skin kind like a couple hours of sun would do be fore you really get a sunburn.

Not really a big deal for me, I had 3 1/2 years of chemo that that was horrible, but it beats dying.

I have full trust in my oncologist and any other doctor Ive seen. Find out any and all side effects, all other treatment options, and what will happen if re-occurrence happens and what treatment options you would have if so. Also cancer support groups can help with what others have gone through.

I have seen how different treatments effect people in different ways... Some lose their hair, others teeth, me nerve damage.

Wish you the best.
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
el_fantasma

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond and Your words of encouragement . It really helps.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
flashed

Stay positive and get plenty of rest when your body tells you to and you will be fine .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
Custom 68

ok I know you had said first hand but I wanted to jump in here. My brother had a lymph node right around his ear removed followed up with radiation therapy. He is a tough guy and not much affects him. He did great thru the all weeks of treatment right up till the end. He got very tired and really wore him down. All the food he ate tasted like metal by this point. That was some what short lived once the treatment ended and in a few months he was back to his normal self. It was a daily thing and when he got to the treatment center they would kindof lock his head in a "cage" so they could pinpoint the treatment.
He has been cancer free for several years now and would go thru it all again with this great outcome. It may not have been necessary but with it they always give a higher chance of it not returning so he didn't hesitate.
Just understand it will wear you down some and like said keep positive.
Best of luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #8
el_fantasma

I wanted to close out this thread. I got the pathology report from my surgery and it looks like I won’t need radiation. Nonetheless, getting information from you guys has given me such piece of mind the last couple of weeks before finding this out. Talking to survivors of RT and realizing it wasn’t a death sentence. Thanks so much.

Rob
Old 10-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
I wanted to close out this thread. I got the pathology report from my surgery and it looks like I won’t need radiation. Nonetheless, getting information from you guys has given me such piece of mind the last couple of weeks before finding this out. Talking to survivors of RT and realizing it wasn’t a death sentence. Thanks so much.

Rob
Congratulations!
I know the initiation to the "Survivor's Club" is miserable , not only from a physical stand point, but also the anguish that one goes through during the ordeal.
The strides the researchers are making and the new treatments are far better than what they were even a few years ago.
Glad to hear you did well!

Welcome to the "Club"!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Old 11-25-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
el_fantasma

Hi guys
I had a reoccurrence of cancer in my jaw. Surgeons built me a new jaw from a bone in my leg. Yesterday I went to see the radiation oncologist and they fitted me with a mask. I start my first treatment December 5. There will be 33 daily treatments. Probably gonna get chemo or immune therapy too.

I suggested to my lovely wife that I should buy a used Honda to drive to the treatments. She said, “ drive your truck, it’s very reliable”. I hope she’s right!

Rob
Old 11-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #11
truckster

I'm on my second week (of six). So far the ADT (hormone therapy) has been worse than the radiation (I've been doing ADT for a little over two months). The doctor says I'll get more tired as the radiation goes on, but I don't have any other side effects so far. The equipment they're using on me is very precise, so the dosage is concentrated where it needs to be, and I'm sure that helps.

I hope it goes well for you.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
slomotion
Old Duffer

I had radiation therapy 12 years ago for prostate cancer that had progressed beyond the option of removing it. The doctors were afraid the cancer would metastasize if they tried to operate, so the only option that remained was radiation.
40 consecutive daily doses of radiation. Minor side effects included a little collateral damage to my intestines as the radiation had to pass through them to get to it's target. This was short-lived and only a minor discomfort. I worked at my job through the entire time and although I got tired easily, it wasn't debilitating.
I was more frightened of the wrath of the nurses if I missed a session than I was of the cancer. They were all about regimen.
I truly believe that a positive "gonna beat it" attitude is as powerful as the medical aspect of the treatment.
I hope this helps......

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 11-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Hi guys
I had a reoccurrence of cancer in my jaw. Surgeons built me a new jaw from a bone in my leg. Yesterday I went to see the radiation oncologist and they fitted me with a mask. I start my first treatment December 5. There will be 33 daily treatments. Probably gonna get chemo or immune therapy too.

I suggested to my lovely wife that I should buy a used Honda to drive to the treatments. She said, “ drive your truck, it’s very reliable”. I hope she’s right!

Rob
Where are you going for your treatments? I didn't have radiation but a lot of chemo. This was my second bout with lymphoma. It stayed in remission for 9 years the first time. The treatments were real aggressive this time. I did chemo 6to 8 hours a day 5 to 6 days aweek from Oct to Jan. Then I was sent to Stanford. I received special chemo to prepare me for a stem cell harvest. Once the cells were harvested, they were cleaned and modified to be cancer fighting. I was then hospitalized and received triple dose chemo 12 hours a day for 6 days. This was to kill my bone marrow and blood. On the seventh day they put my modified stem cells in and I stayed in stanford until My body started making new marrow and blood (about a month). I'm still recovering and weak but doing good. Moral of this rant is keep the faith and a positive attitude. It's a fight for sure. Hope all goes well for you!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
Coley

I can't over anything on this from an experience point of view....but I can offer you my support.
There are some great pieces of feedback here from the other guys who have worked through this.....good on all of you!...and glad your still here.
Looks like it is a very worthwhile thing to do regardless of the short term difficulties.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Where are you going for your treatments
Hi Dale,
All at Kaiser, surgery in Oakland, chemo in Redwood City and radiation in SSF. your ordeal sounds much worse, plus if I remember you dealt with fire also! Good luck to you too.

Rob
Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Hi Dale,
All at Kaiser, surgery in Oakland, chemo in Redwood City and radiation in SSF. your ordeal sounds much worse, plus if I remember you dealt with fire also! Good luck to you too.

Rob
Gotta love Kaiser! They've saved me twice. Keep up the great fight you're gonna do great.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote