The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
mgm60

Vapor Canister Question

Thanks to the members that identified my vapor canister question (what is this and do I need it). So now that I know what it is and reading up on it, I started trying to figure out how to hook it back up as my truck is pretty much original under the hood and I do get the smell of gas in the garage when I park it.

Unfortunately the outlet to the carb is broken off even with the top of the canister and this one appears to be original and worn completely out.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement designed to work like this one did? I looked at several on line last night as GM put a billion of these in cars and truck in the 70s,80s and 90s. But I can't tell which ones would work in my 72.

Second question. Which vaccum connection on the carb does this go to? The one on the right front of my carb is blocked off but I think thats actually supposed to supply vac to another location (maybe distributor?).

Pic of canister attached.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images

mgm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Vapor Canister Question

The canister is hooked to the gas tank and the float bowl of the carburetor to store evaporated fuel vapors. The small vacuum port is the purge line that allows the vapors stored in the canister to be pulled into the intake to be burned. So no gas smell and the fuel is burned and not wasted. Win-Win

I am sure someone can answer exactly which port is which on your canister. Originally there was a diagram on the drivers inner fender (1972) and the purge line usually has some type of control like a thermo vacuum switch in series.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Vapor Canister Question

https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ers=4294853337

Bigdav160 got the rest of it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA