The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
pwdcougar

05 3.8 Impala intake gaskets

Just did the spark plugs, wires and o2 sensor on the wife's 05 Impala and discovered the dreaded pink Dexcool on the intake. Any recommendations on brand of gasket to use? Felpro used to be the go to. A brand called Mahle comes up in online searches.

Thanks

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
68Gold/white

Re: 05 3.8 Impala intake gaskets

Fel Pro is still best, my opinion...

MY 98 Buick had the plastic upper plenum, had to replace mine, the EGR passage and one coolant passage are real close together. The EGR passage erodes away due to heat and exhaust gas. Had to replace upper plastic plenum. Bought a Dorman replacement, not expensive.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Fel Pro is still best, my opinion...

MY 98 Buick had the plastic upper plenum, had to replace mine, the EGR passage and one coolant passage are real close together. The EGR passage erodes away due to heat and exhaust gas. Had to replace upper plastic plenum. Bought a Dorman replacement, not expensive.
Luckily that is an in stock item at my local Advance. Did you have to do the valve cover gaskets too?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Luckily that is an in stock item at my local Advance. Did you have to do the valve cover gaskets too?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure I did, valve covers have to come off to do this job. I hate doing things twice. I replaced the lower intake gaskets also, that makes the job much more difficult, but I believe, needs to be done.

PM me if you get into this deal and have a question...
Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I'm sure I did, valve covers have to come off to do this job. I hate doing things twice. I replaced the lower intake gaskets also, that makes the job much more difficult, but I believe, needs to be done.

PM me if you get into this deal and have a question...
Thanks for the input. I did the job on Sunday and everything seems to have come out ok. No leaks so far. I watched a video of a guy who did the job without removing the alternator and followed his steps.

The biggest problem was cleaning the upper and lower intakes as the oil was baked on and in the runners. Also I just noticed that the lower intake end seal on the water pump side slid out a bit. It was a pain getting the intake to set straight down and at the same time slide into the water pump elbow.

The valve covers did not have to come off on my engine. Total time was about 6 hours with 3 hours of cleaning and a run to the auto parts store for a new thermostat and more brake cleaner.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
68Gold/white

Cool!!!
I forgot to mention about setting the intake back on engine...BUT the whole job isn't any fun either...LOL

Did yours have a bypass tube to the water pump??? Mine did, later models may not. Replacing the tube at this time is important. (if anyone does this job on an older 3.8, mine was a 3.8) I also had a 92 and it had a bypass hose, way easier to deal with
Old 08-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
garmar

I'll put my vote for FelPro as well.

This is going to be shunned by a few here but I've had good luck with the Enginetech brand Rockauto sells. I used some of their head gaskets, lifters and intake gaskets on an old beater Dodge truck I don't care much about and they were a different color but looked exactly the same as some Felpros I had on hand and were very nice quality. Ever bit as good as the FelPros. Just one guy's experience, of course.
garmar is offline   Reply With Quote