The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
truckin 79

New dash pad in the sun

I am putting AC in truck and not sure if I should buy a new dash for truck since I have to add AC vents to existing. My current dash has about three cracks in pad but still looks good for its age. My truck sits in the sun, well when not in use I have a cardboard sun shield up. For you guys who bought a new dash and had your trucks sitting in the sun, how has it held up, how soon/did it crack. I was going to buy a USA1 dash since they have the metal backing but would be mad if I spend 600 dollars just to have it crack in a couple of years.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: New dash pad in the sun

What i have learned to do is to not only put up the sun shield but i also have sun shields on the doors so i can leave the window cracked about a half inch on each side it relieves heat in the summer months and wont let water in

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
dagnabbitt

I have a Dash Direct dash, I am not terribly impressed with the fitment of it but the material seems like it will hold up to a little sun, it has a metal backing but has some sort of Urethane surface that looks original but is much tougher than the original. Complaints about fitment aside, I must admit that it looks good, and they are priced quite well.

https://dashesdirect.com/product-cat...evy-dash-pads/

Despite the lifetime warranty, I have a fabric dash cover for it. I leave it on when I park it for long periods of time, but not on a day to day basis. No problems yet.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
truckin 79

Thanks guys for the responses and dagnabbit I just ordered the dashesdirect polyurethane dash 308 for dash and 56 dollars shipping along with a lifetime warranty, that is a great deal in my opinion. I am saving almost 300 compared to USA1 dash, 241 off on dash and about 50 less for shipping.
Dagnabbit did you have to do some trimming to dash or does it just not sit quite right?
Thanks again
Old 09-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
dagnabbitt

I didn't have to trim a thing, as I recall, I just didn't like the way it butted up to the windshield, around the serial number cutout, and on the sides where it meets the door. Maybe my experience is not the norm, DD generally has a good reputation. Honestly I love the dash, it is such a dramatic improvement over the old cracked original and I have no regrets.

I just noted the fitment issue because some people are building high quality restos and would want to know before ordering. Not me: daily driver.

Save your old dashclips btw, the new dash does not come with them. I already pitched my old dash when I bought mine, so I had to search the junkyard to find another set. And of course, when you are looking for something specific like that, you can't find them.

Post pics when you install it!
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
truckin 79

Well my dash was supposed to arrive today, so I decided to check Fedex shipping number. I guess CO is to close to NV so FedEx decided to ship it to CA first then back to NV and then on to CO. I am supposed to get it on Friday but I dont know about you guys but whenever large packages are with the shipper to long bad things happen. I might be testing out that lifetime warranty sooner then later.