The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #101
Coalkracker

Re: Help with dash lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock3ott View Post
Coalkracker, when I replaced the bushings in my shift rods a couple years ago I needed to re use the metal sleeves inside the new bushings. I believe I sourced the bushings from classic parts? Bonestock3ott
Couldnt re use them, they made the hole in the bushing the same id as the sleeve. I took those ones out and located the oe style ones and used them.
Coalkracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #102
Coalkracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It's "cowl vent".. Cowl" is the top of the firewall, integral with the main truck body.. There's also a bolt located at each end of the cowl vent.. Screws vertically into the cowl.. BUT, you can't gain access to the "duct" entrance by removing the cowl vent.. Go in either through the vent doors in the kick panel or remove the fenders and go in that way.. Where's that chassis manual????????.
For today i'll clean from the vent doors. Removing the fenders isnt something I want to tackle today. I removed the heat ducts and cleaned those out, sanded, and sprayed some semi gloss black on them. Also removed heater control assembly, I need to fix a lever but have to order a part. While thats out I can change the bulb and get that working too
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #103
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalkracker View Post
For today i'll clean from the vent doors. Removing the fenders isnt something I want to tackle today. I removed the heat ducts and cleaned those out, sanded, and sprayed some semi gloss black on them. Also removed heater control assembly, I need to fix a lever but have to order a part. While thats out I can change the bulb and get that working too
When you replace that lever, be sure to free up and lube the control cables or you'll break another one..

To clean mine (no rat or mouse nests) of any debris, I removed the cowl vent and vent doors.. I fitted a tube to my blow gun and used 125 lb compressed air from my commercial air compressor to clear out most anything that tries to set up house keeping in any of those nooks and crannies..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #104
Coalkracker

Thats a good idea. Im going to vacuum the heck out of it first then I could give that a try. The lever that broke is the one that connects to the cable that goes to the area of the fan and heater core. Its the one with the fan switch. I think the flap may be jammed up. Im really liking how I can buy all these small parts to actually fix things instead of just replacing whole units.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #105
Coalkracker

Surprise in the mail today. I really hope I adjusted everything the correct way so this switch doesnt get broken like the original. Check out the price on the box.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #106
Coalkracker

While i've been doing all this work in the cab all the dirt and grime on the painted surfaces have been bothering me every time I see it so I tried cleaning some of it up and it actually started to turn out nice.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #107
Coalkracker

Glove box and ashtray.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #108
Markuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
When you replace that lever, be sure to free up and lube the control cables or you'll break another one..

To clean mine (no rat or mouse nests) of any debris, I removed the cowl vent and vent doors.. I fitted a tube to my blow gun and used 125 lb compressed air from my commercial air compressor to clear out most anything that tries to set up house keeping in any of those nooks and crannies..
Rusty's method, plus a shop vac shoved through the cowl as far down the sides as it will go, should mostly get you pretty clean. When you blast the air down low by the drain area, don't get discouraged if you send debris flying everywhere including back up into the cowl. Short of removing the fenders, this is all you can really do.

Now my truck's pretty free of rot, but my inner fender washers have proven that they're not gonna budge. So I just kept blasting and vacuuming till the debris was all but out.

A cheap bore scope cam can help you find patches of debris to blast out as well.
Markuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #109
conoco

I had the same thing happen to my 72. After hours trying to figure out and trace each wire I bought a new circuit board for my year truck and it fixed everything.

It wasn't that expensive, I got mine from LMC
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote