The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Missyblue

1957 gmc shorted suspension/frame options help

Hello all I am hoping for any advice or insight if you are willing. My dad and I have picked up a 57 stepside truck and we have a 93 chevy donor truck with 350 5.7 engine and auto transmission. The And that's about it. I have a million questions but thought i would start with this. Our frame is really clean and would like to keep it and just consider suspension upgrades on a reasonable poor dirt farmer minded budget haha but want to make sure I'm not missing a reasonable option since I know I won't do a frame off later now is the time. We just don't have 10k for a rolling chassis. My 1st priority is to get us safe (disk break upgrades) soften the ride and running 1st so my dad can enjoy it. He lost his years back and I bought this so I'm trying to help him replace it. Sorry to jabber..... I have read about different front clips used and other options just hoping for advice as to what is economical and works best. My dad can do some welding and things but I don't want to make him work too hard since he's 66 with some beat up shoulders.
Thanks in advance for any advice you have or even post threads that might help
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
whitedog76

Re: 1957 gmc shorted suspension/frame options help

Rather than front clipping, have you thought about using some Posies leaf springs?

As far as brakes go, CPP, POL, Speedway, and others disc upgrade kits. Of course, you would want to upgrade your master cylinder too.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Missyblue

Thanks. And yes I haven't made any decisions just been reading what everyone does trying to figure out what helps. Thanks so much I definitely will check out the posies. Looks like an affordable option.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Missyblue

So if you did posies to the front what would you do with the rear?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
mr48chev

Well it looks like your first perimeter is somewhat set in the budget = $$$ or $,$$$ and not $$,$$$ That matches the majority of us here.

Then comes the what do you want the final product to look like and do?
Meaning;
How low do you want it?
How easy of steering does it need?
How smooth of a ride do you want?
Will it be used to haul or tow with?

Some people use Jag XJ some use some years of Ford Crown Victoria and obviously some use the Camaro/Nova subframes . dvantage to most of those is low initial cost. The Jag unit can be spendy to rebuild if it needs a lot of replacement wear parts, The Crown Vic unit is really wide, Possibly even wider than your engine donor is. From personal experience subframing two rigs of my own, my 48 and the 51 Mercury I used to have swapping subframes calls for a lot of cutting on the front end sheet metal, often calls for swapping radiators and you have to figure out how to fabricate something to hang the bumper on. You also see more failed subframe swap rigs for sale than any other failed projects too.

I've posted Steves link so many times the guys think I get a kick back from him but I just flat like the work that Industrial Chassis does and looking at photos of his pieces they are well designed and strong as all get out. His crossmembers for trucks use Dodge Dakota pieces from the square body Dakotas. That means that the chassis parts are 1/2 ton truck and the Dakotas have factory rack and pinon. I bought a donor truck with a dead engine for 200 to use for mine. I have the funky 6 lug rotors but plan to use the bigger rotors that I already have and the brackets that they sell to use them.

The crossmember for a TF is 750 and while that seems to be a bunch the donor parts probably can be had for around 200 and maybe less. No cutting of sheet metal except to clear the upper control arms, no trying to figure out what radiator will fit or having to fab a new radiator support and no having to figure out how to fasten the front bumper on.

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/...959-gm-trucks/
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
svr

Another option is C4 corvette front and rear running gear, a dead C4 can be found usually for less than $1000. The corvette front cross member can be reused with some modification or flatout engineering makes crossmembers and mounting brackets for the rear. I made my own crossmember and brackets, look through my build if you want. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #7
Missyblue

Hey so to try and answer questions mr48 posted
I wouldn't mind it sitting a little lower but we live in the country so not on the ground I guess.
We definitely are not looking to do a bunch of sheet metal work. My dad can do some fabricating but I don't want to work him too hard so probably not doing any front clipping.
Steering I would like to improve for safety and my dad's shoulders are tired from farm and driving a big rig so easier woukd be great. I remember trying to drive our old powerwagon without power steering as a kid and don't really want to go back haha.
Don't plan to pull much with it and won't haul much more than groceries and small things. Have a big diesel for that.
As far as smooth I'm. It sure. I wish I could compare some of these options but won't be likely here where we are at. Not sure the posies would do as much as we would like but maybe. They say they greatly improve safety and ride but need more input on that
I am going to research these kits you guys suggested for the dodge and the corvette. My decision might kinda be made for me as far as locating which option of donor around here. Have seen a few corvette suspensions for sale here but they have been around 900 and the kit is more than the dodge kit. Feel like I'm more likely to find dodge donors around here possibly.
Would be curious if anyone has opinions/experience on the ride difference with the posies vs original leaf and if you have any big reasons for dodge kit vs corvette? Pros and cons of install or anything.
This is super helpful thank you for the guidance and your time.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
billrobbobjo

You could go my route if you would like, I put a crown vic front end on mine from a 2004. It costed me about 500 bucks total. i bought the full clip for 180. The power pump for like 30 or so then some extra steel w/ new hoses to make the power steering work. Little bit of fab work. the video i went off of was a 1960 ford by Texasknowhow on youtube. Just took measurements off my chevy and applied the same principals. If you can weld, and Drill some holes its a super nice ride compared to the old leaf spring front end. You get disc breaks and the whole 9 yards on steering. It took me about 60 hours to do. I did it over spring break, bolted it all back together in 1 week and drove it home. Check out my forum if you want.
billrobbobjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Missyblue

Awesome. Thanks for the info I was curiousb how people were doing the front clip. And power steering and disk brakes are definitely a great addition. Your truck looks nice
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I also have the flatout c4 front for mine....Don makes a very nice crossmember,, or if your ambitious you could do as svr and make your own if you decide to go this route..it will cost a little though...coilovers aint cheap

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #11
billrobbobjo

Thanks Missyblue, if you are looking for a 80 hour project at a low cost I would recommend.
billrobbobjo is offline   Reply With Quote