The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Wizzlepig

'52 chevy 3600, 216 engine seized

So, I have been working on my truck, and I go out and start it to keep it happy every other week or so.

I started it and it ran for 10 minutes or so, it always ran like a top.

The last time I was running it, I rolled it about 10 feet up the driveway, dropped it out of gear, and was nearly about to turn it off, when the engine abruptly turned itself off.

Now it will not turn over, and it won't roll at all with the truck in low gear.

I assume it's gone and seized up, but, before I go sell the thing for less than I paid for it, I'd like to make sure there isn't something I am missing about a truck this old.

Is there anything else I might do/check? I put some miracle oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a week, still no dice- won't turn over or roll start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Wizzlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
e015475

Re: '52 chevy 3600, 216 engine seized

Maybe others will chime in too, but here's what I'd do.

I'd pull the plugs out of it and put it in 3rd gear (or 4th if it is a four speed) and try rolling it and dumping the clutch and see if it is turned over. You don't have very much mechanical advantage in first gear.

An engine with a failed rod or main bearing will usually start knocking before it fails and seizing abruptly isn't a real common failure mode. If this is the original engine to the truck, it would have had babbit bearings and not shell inserts. I'd drain the oil out of it and look for babbit flakes (or better yet, pull the pan if you can)

If the bottom end checked out, I'd keep working on getting the pistons to move in the bores. I hear good things about Marvel, but there's a lot of different options out there to look at, so a search of the net for what's been successful might be in order. You might look for a bolt on the crank pulley and use a breaker bar to rock it back and forth.

I think I'd also post your question up on the Stovebolt forum and see what some of the folks over there have to say........

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...gine-shop.html
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote