The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
MoFire

Task Force series, engine to hood clearance?

Hey all, new to the forum. I've got a '55 Chev big window. And I'm curious to how much room is under that big ol hood I'm just starting the project, but I've got a buddy with a 502ci with 871 blower and dual 950 carbs (no air filter or intake installed yet). This is my first project so I don't have much experience yet.
Does anybody know or have a similar build, I'm curious if the hood would fit without cutting it?

Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

MoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Task Force series, engine to hood clearance?

Not sure how tall an 8-71 is but this tunnel ram fits under mine but only with
3" air cleaner. Don't know if it's apples to apples since I used a Camaro clip. I think it's do-able but it will be tight.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
MoFire

Thanks for responding. The pic of yours helps visually!

Has anybody, (or if someone has the time) know the actual measurement?
I'm up at work out of province away from home. And said buddy of mine lives a few provinces over. Complicating my inquiry I know.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
OrrieG

Don't know the measurements, but there was a guy that drove around a TF with blower setup and stock hood. It was a 58 he used the inboard headlight openings for cold air intake.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Stepside Jim

Doesn't answer all your questions but gives a view of a big block with a blower under the hood.

I have a Camaro clip, 396, and the blower is a Weiand 177 series. Single 850 Holley and the air filter uses a 2" filter.

It all fits under the hood but I did have to remove the under hood X brace.

Hope this helps, Jim
Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
MoFire

Awesome thanks for the insight guys. Especially your pic Stepside Jim, that gave me some hope with solid evidence from the pic, nice rig you've got there!

Last edited by MoFire; 04-03-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
dsraven

in order to properly answer your question we would need to know what you have to work with. a stock frame/suspension, an aftermarket IFS, maybe a clip from a donor car? you may need to consider the engine height in relation to those items so you can get an oil pan/oil pump pick up to clear the solid axle suspension travel or the crossmember from a newer system. also the power steering pump/ac pump, alternator will need to clearance everything. we would also need to know what you have for exhaust manifolds or headers in order to clear the steering column shaft, brake master cylinder clearances if firewall mounted. also consider rad to engine space for fan or electric fan clearances, trans shifter location, etc. do the pedals go through the floor, so a stock frame with the master cylinder under the floor? do you have the standard steering system from a stock truck? etc. if a donor clip is it a rear steer (box behind the crossmember) or a front steer system? it makes a difference when trying to find clearance for steering shafts and exhaust systems, starter clearances etc.
a few pics would also help
try to keep the engine as low as possible in the frame so you not only clear the hood but also keep a low centre of gravity.
remember that something that has enough power to go fast also needs enough brake power to stop fast and probably should have a steering system that can turn fast if required.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
MoFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
in order to properly answer your question we would need to know what you have to work with. a stock frame/suspension, an aftermarket IFS, maybe a clip from a donor car? you may need to consider the engine height in relation to those items so you can get an oil pan/oil pump pick up to clear the solid axle suspension travel or the crossmember from a newer system. also the power steering pump/ac pump, alternator will need to clearance everything. we would also need to know what you have for exhaust manifolds or headers in order to clear the steering column shaft, brake master cylinder clearances if firewall mounted. also consider rad to engine space for fan or electric fan clearances, trans shifter location, etc. do the pedals go through the floor, so a stock frame with the master cylinder under the floor? do you have the standard steering system from a stock truck? etc. if a donor clip is it a rear steer (box behind the crossmember) or a front steer system? it makes a difference when trying to find clearance for steering shafts and exhaust systems, starter clearances etc.
a few pics would also help
try to keep the engine as low as possible in the frame so you not only clear the hood but also keep a low centre of gravity.
remember that something that has enough power to go fast also needs enough brake power to stop fast and probably should have a steering system that can turn fast if required.
All solid points! guess I should've stated that I was curious if anybody had a similar build for a quick answer, cause the price is right on the blown 502! Lol
My plans are an LS engine and Tremec trans, likely a IFS and 4 link rear, bagged. Boxed frame, C notched or PB dropmember front/back etc, Just what's floating around for ideas right now, still forming my final plan for the build.
Thanks again for the replies, good knowledge found on this forum for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MoFire; 04-06-2017 at 07:28 PM.