The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > News

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #51
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Lotsa stuff happened over the weekend. Ol' Creeping Death is sitting on its own paws bearing it's own weight. Been almost 2 years since those ET's were bolted to it.

Got some new bushings and grade 8 fasteners for the stock 1 1/16" sway bar too.

Gary

Name:  20160320_130543.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  20160320_134303.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  20160320_180939.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  56.5 KB

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #52
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Working swings this week so got a little more progress done in the last couple of mornings.

I got pretty much everything I need off of the old bent frame with the exception of removing the bed, the front 2 saddles for the bed mounts, and the rear bumper. Everything else frame related is being cut up and going to scrap. The empty rear end housing, leaf springs and drop shackles might be spoken for, but I won't know if he's serious until I finally unbolt them from the frame.

I am going to use the driveline and original style carrier bearing and carrier bearing mount from my 1972. So I removed the rivets holding the 1969 carrier bearing mount and mocked up the bolt in one from the 1972. So far it looks like it will fit fine. But I won't know if I need to modify the length of my 1972 driveline from the leaf sprung truck to fit the 1969 coil sprung truck until I get the engine and transmission set into place. Luckily there is a driveline service shop just over an hour from my house that can do all the modification I might need. Or even build me a custom unit.

I have a couple more threads going in the main section only because I wanted help and opinions away from the build thread. But here they are if anyone might be interested.

Paint code thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700867

Moving or not moving the fuel tank thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703245

That's all for now...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #53
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The bed made it's way off the old frame over the weekend. Also the rest of the frame got hacked up to haul to the scrap heap.

I dig the spot on the front of the bed where the build sheet was taped from the factory as it rolled through the assembly line. I'm assuming the shot of white paint was to show that it was gonna have a white top. There is also a "painter's mark" on the passenger side. Cool what you find on these old rigs when you blow them apart.

Also had to break out the cheater bar for some "persuasion" on the front spring eye bolts. The rears were pretty easy since I had installed drop shackles in the past.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #54
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Updates??
Thanks for the bump Swampy...

Made progress over the last couple of days. Got almost all of the Stainless Steel brake lines installed into the rig. The kit was originally installed in the '72 with a leaf sprung rear end. So I had to do some modifications to the lines and the brake hose tabs. I remounted the CPP power brake booster, M/C and prop valve to mock up the lines.

I had to move the brake hose tabs from the rear of the 1969 front crossmember to the front of the crossmember to accommodate the 1972 brake lines that go out to the calipers. So before I scrapped the 1972 frame I had robbed it of the tabs to weld onto the 1969.

I also had to get creative for the rear brake lines as I still wanted to use the 1972 brake lines but the 1969 hose tab was in a completely different location. So I cut the tab off of the axle tube and then welded it onto the 1972 bracket that held the brass fitting that the lines for the drums screwed into.

Now th long brake line that runs along the frame to the rear was way too long, so I had to cut it shorter, bend a 90 in it, and then double flare the end to fit into the stock 1969 frame mount location.

So a little fab work and some patience and I got all the brake lines in. Now the engine and transmission will slide in between the frame rails very soon. I'd like to leave them out while I do all the cutting on the cab for rust removal, but I'm strapped for space, and I've been tripping over the engine and tranny since I removed them.

So it's been a great couple of days!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #55
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Couple more pics...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #56
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

LOL...

Well poop again... Guess I'll get after it to see if some of the metal is bad beyond the frame rails. There is surface rust of course... but... it is an old GM truck... so I need to really check.

Rust never sleeps.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #57
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cut the passenger side rocker panel off today. Was able to assess what a rusty hunk of junk I'm working with. LOL.

I only have one pic for now.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #58
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks Oly! There are quite a few local PNW cats on here. It's pretty cool! I am planning on attending some shows and get togethers when she's runnin' again!

I have a few more pics of the rust from the passenger side rocker panel during and after removal.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #59
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The sheet metal fairy came!

I went over to Dreamers Rods & Pickups NW in Everett, WA and picked up a lot of tins to get the cab floor, kick panels, cab corners and rockers all fixed up.

Time to get after it!

Some of the metal in the floor is a tad pitted in some spots, but there is still good metal until about 2" from the edge of the inner rocker. I bought the front cab floorboards just in case it gets a little hairy in there and I need more metal. If I don't use them, they will be up for grabs here in the local WA North Puget Sound area.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-22-2016, 11:30 PM   #60
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Score! Finally found a drivers side front fender! Been looking all over hell and back for a GMC font fender in decent shape. I got more than I could ask for as this one has NO rust, just a couple small fixable dings. I had to make a 3 hour round trip for it, but it was worth it!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #61
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More metal carnage!

The inner rocker and the rest of the cab floor was cut out yesterday. Whoever was in charge of spot welding these cabs together needs to throat punched HA! Just when you think you gat them all, there will be 9 more in a 1" space to hold 2 panels together.

Anyhoo... I cut the rear cab corner off as well. The rear cab support was pretty much shot so I cut it off and fabbed up a new piece and welded it on. Hit the whole shebang with Rust-mort and let it dry overnight. Will shoot some primer over it all later today and see about fitting some new metal!

My stepson has been a big help (that's him in one of the pics using a cutoff wheel) as these almost 50 year old knees and back don't care for too much of working on the floor. Also I have Livrat on speed dial, and he has been of great help to walk me through this whole process! Thanks Mark!

And again, thanks to all of you who have posted up in this thread! I appreciate it all! Creeping Death will ride again!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #62
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Awaiting primer and new metal!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #63
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got the outer floor extension mocked up and made a mistake on the measurement of the area that meets the pinch weld in the toe-boards. I cut it just a little short...

So I'll have to cut a small chunk to weld into that small gap. Oops!

I have the outer cab extension marked from below as I scored a line along the cut out area. If that makes sense. But I'm going to add a 1/4" to that scribe mark so I don't cut it too short as well.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #64
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Me too! I can't imagine not having this rig. Even though the only original parts to the truck are the cab, bed, passenger front fender, engine and transmission.

Got the outer cab floor extension all cut and clamped in ready to weld. Working swings this week so I ran out of time to start the 348,000 tack welds on the panel. So will start that tomorrow morning.

However, I might just hang the door first to ensure that the rear pillar is not wonky so everything still lines up.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #65
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Starting the tack weld madness today until I ran out of wire in my MIG.

Anyways, I got quite a bit of it welded in, and there is also a shot of the inner rocker being held up to the new metal to see how rotted out it was.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #66
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind...

Almost have the outer cab floor extension welded all the way in. Have some more welding to do towards the rear that is behind the cab corner by the seatbelt mounting hole.

I refabricated the rear section of the cab floor by making 2 separate small pie cuts and then hammering the corner how I wanted it. The patch panel doesn't meet up correctly at the rear cab mount so some "massaging" is in order. That rear floor part and the cab support holes are about the only things that are "wrong" with this patch panel.

It is a really nice option to have this entire outer floor section instead of just the inner rocker and a bunch of hand formed metal pieces to fit the other spots. I would definitely recommend spending the 70 bucks on this panel if you are in need of inner rockers along with an outer rusty floor. Here is where I got mine... http://www.dreamershotrods.com/outer...dgmctruck.aspx Dreamers Rods and Trucks in Everett, WA is the closest place for me to drive to for parts.

Welp... back to more welding, grinding, weld, grind, weld, grind...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #67
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Skip... I agree... this truck will probably never be "done".

I finally got ALL the welding done on the outer cab floor extension today before swing shift.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #68
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More metal thrashing to day.

Cut a hunk out of the bashed up hood to make a floor pan patch panel.

Got more grinding to do, as well as a few more welds. Also have to fab up a small strip to weld into the area where I came up short on the outer cab extension.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #69
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Also... I forgot to post earlier...

I don't normally preach to anybody about safety and PPE. But I had never used a face shield while grinding or cutting with a wheel until I started this part of my project. My wife got me a face shield for my birthday and it just save my face and possibly my right eye.

Was trying to get a cutoff wheel into a tight area in the toe boards. The wheel grabbed metal and came apart. Shrapnel hit the face shield and also my left shoulder. The Carhartt "Detroit" jacket I was wearing kept anything from embedding into my skin. I do wear safety glasses as well as the face shield. But you can tell from the pic that the face shield got whacked pretty good. Even for a glancing shot.

So... wear them face shields! Today this one saved my butt. Err... face as it were.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #70
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Welded in the kick panel today. I will finish that small patch in the toe board and do the final welds and grinding of the floor tomorrow. Then hopefully I have enough time to get the new pillar welded in.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #71
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hung the passenger side door today to check alignment before I start the cab corner and the front pillar. I bolted it up on the exact marks I made before I disassembled the cab and I was nicely surprised that the gaps all line up great!

I never braced the cab at all when I cut into it, but made marks with sharpie pens all over the place and took lots of measurements.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #72
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

So I also hung the passenger side fender to make sure everything lined up with the lower pillar repair before I welded it up. Gotta admit it was kinda cool to actually see the fender and door on it at the same time.

Lower pillar repair turned out better than I expected.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #73
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks Swampy!

I got the cab corner in yesterday and it proved to be a challenge. The patch panel isn't even close to being useable without modification. The body lines don't line up at all and the rounded area tends to be a little flat towards the door area. So with some tweaking and grinding I got it to line up to what is useable to me. The lower edge that goes across the back of the cab isn't correct so I'm glad the bed will hide that, because getting it to line up at all is kinda hard.

Now all I have left is the outer rocker, and I'm figuring out what I need to cut, grind, and modify to get it to fit right. My door fitment is a pain in the a$$, but I think they are for everyone. But I'll slug this out in the next couple of days so I can get started on the drivers side.

Oh, and the pic of the floor is from all the metal I ground off of the welds. It is amazing to me how much comes off after you weld it on.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread