The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
jamyers

1969 C10 Longbed BubbaTruck

Here's the start of a hopefully long and glorious build thread.

It's a '69 C10 Longbed that apparently was owned by a Telephone Company, the Callahan County TX Maintenance Department, a couple of West Texas Ranchers, and who knows who else before I 'inherited' it.

I'm building it as a mostly-stock, dead-reliable driver for my kids (we live in the country). Mechanical reliability and basic safety upgrades are coming WAY before appearances with this one.

And YES, my kids (ages 13 and 15) are going to be getting their hands dirty a LOT along the way, hahahaha!

It has an extremely low-miles 350 with a mild RV cam and an Edelbrock carb and some sort of Pertronix ignition under the hood. The sheetmetal is good, the only rust I can find that hasn't already been fixed is right under the battery.

It's got a new wiring harness because the old one had been completely butchered. Although I need to go back through it and find a leak somewhere, apparently it slowly drains the battery.

New drum brakes, converted to power.

Manual steering.

It came with a whole lot of new parts, including light housings, trim bits, weatherstripping, etc.

It has sat idle under a carport for a couple of years, so here's the list of things I plan on doing, in no particular order:

Clean out the fuel tank
Pull the transmission and at least replace all of the seals (it leaks like a stuck pig)
Clean out the carb (been sitting for a couple of years)
Sort out the ignition (He said it kept "burning out")
Go back through the wiring (something keeps draining the battery)
Get the engine running again (shouldn't be too hard with clean gas and proper ignition)

Repaint and restore the interior
Recover or replace the seats
Add shoulder belts
Paint the exterior
Clean and Repaint under the hood

I've posted some "before" pics in my noob thread in the welcome section, I'll be posting more before / after pics as I go along.

This is going to be FUN!
jamyers is offline   Reply With Quote