The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

'49 front leaf springs

picked up a '49 chevy 1/2ton this past weekend. front springs are SHOT.
been searching all over for best produect/best price on dropped springs.
i've looked everywhere from Brothers, Posies, CPP, Speedway, etc.
and looked at mono vs. full pack(lowered) springs.

Speedway and Posies both carry a "dual flex spring", basically just looks like 2 springs rather than just a mono or a full pack. good or bad?

keep reading about mono set-ups being dangerous...?

i'm setting this truck up to be a daily driver on Houston roads and freeways.
what are some recomendations as far as from who to order and the "mono vs. full pack" battle?

thanks,
Give me some tips!

Chris
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: '49 front leaf springs

nd read their tech info about mono leaf
http://www.eatonsprings.com/
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
MrTucker

Just my opinion, but I'd recommend going with a factory replacement. I've read that mono springs are great, but I've also read that they are junk. I have no experience with mono's so I cant really say.

But I can say that I've ridden in trucks that are 50+ year old trucks with the original "full leaf packs" that ride pretty well.

The factory design worked well and lasted for decades...it's hard to improve on that. But if you're looking to improve on 1950's performance standards, an IFS system is worth considering.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
winchster

I have a full size ( c10 ) front saddle under mine that will be going away for my 4x4 conversion, so if you are interested in a cheap IFS. Let's say it rides better than the original did, that's for sure.

Edit: And when I say cheap I mean free, as in gratis, no charge, I'll help load it.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Last edited by winchster; 02-24-2010 at 12:45 AM.
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
MMM...BRAINS...

actually, i was originally thinking going with the mono's, but then stumbled across that page on the eaton site...thats why i asked.
i've heard a ton of people say that ride great with no problems, but i'm planning on a daily driver....and most houston roads suck

thanks for the input.]
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
nd read their tech info about mono leaf
http://www.eatonsprings.com/
Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
MMM...BRAINS...

yea, i keep leaning more that way. i'd like it a tad lower than stock, but nothing thats unsafe. IFS is not in my timeline or budget right now.
this truck runs and drives, just needs some suspension work...and i have a bad habit of tearing things apart too fast so i'm trying to just get it on the road.

thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
Just my opinion, but I'd recommend going with a factory replacement. I've read that mono springs are great, but I've also read that they are junk. I have no experience with mono's so I cant really say.

But I can say that I've ridden in trucks that are 50+ year old trucks with the original "full leaf packs" that ride pretty well.

The factory design worked well and lasted for decades...it's hard to improve on that. But if you're looking to improve on 1950's performance standards, an IFS system is worth considering.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
MMM...BRAINS...

i was not aware that the full size c10 stuff would work on these....thought the frame widths were far too different?? (as far as the crossmember itself)
thanks for the offer. i may consider it after i hear more about this...

thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchster View Post
I have a full size ( c10 ) front saddle under mine that will be going away for my 4x4 conversion, so if you are interested in a cheap IFS. Let's say it rides better than the original did, that's for sure.

Edit: And when I say cheap I mean free, as in gratis, no charge, I'll help load it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
MrTucker

full size C10 stuff is too wide - if you want the front wheels to tuck inside the fenders. There's a truck on this site somewhere that did the C10 front IFS and IMHO it looks too wide for the fenders...but to each his/her own.

FYI, they make "full leaf packs" in 3" drops for the front, and 3"-5" drops for the rear. Check out Brothers, LMC, Classic Parts....they all have sets. But research what else is involved in this. I've read that when you use the drop front axle (3" drop) you have to modify the pitman arm.

Last edited by MrTucker; 02-24-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
MMM...BRAINS...

thats what i was thinking, i've got a '60 c10 (in peices) in my garage now and was swapping out to a later crossmember and was thinking that was WAY wide.

yea, if i go with a drop leaf pack it will be a full pack. i've read that if you do one or the other (drop axle w/stock leafs or stock axle w/drop leafs) you may be ok with steering issues...but i won't know 'till i get there.
yea, i'm not looking to go extreme drop on this...and with budget in mind the parallel leafs should work fine. i'm also not looking to do 90mph either, just good highway cruising, but safe.
thanks again,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
full size C10 stuff is too wide - if you want the front wheels to tuck inside the fenders. There's a truck on this site somewhere that did the C10 front IFS and IMHO it looks too wide for the fenders...but to each his/her own.

FYI, they make "full leaf packs" in 3" drops for the front, and 3"-5" drops for the rear. Check out Brothers, LMC, Classic Parts....they all have sets. But research what else is involved in this. I've read that when you use the drop front axle (3" drop) you have to modify the pitman arm.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
winchster

I don't know about WAY too wide. Here is mine.

The front wheels stick out past the fender by less than 2". It matches the width on the back and IMHO it looks good, but that's why they make all kinds.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
MMM...BRAINS...

Anything outside the wheel opening is too wide for me. Guess it would ok on a 4x4. Not my thing. Thanks for the input tho.

][/B][QUOTE=winchster;3822971]I don't know about WAY too wide. Here is mine.

The front wheels stick out past the fender by less than 2". It matches the width on the back and IMHO it looks good, but that's why they make all kinds.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchster View Post
I don't know about WAY too wide. Here is mine.
To clarify - I never meant to say C10 clipped front ends look bad. I just meant that if you want the front wheels to tuck inside the front fenders then it's too wide...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I've seen some with a narrowed cross member and with wheels offset inside a bit that did fit inside the fenders. I'm not encouraging any one to do it, only suggesting that some of the problems can be overcome.

I'm building a 1-ton using a C-20 IFS and plan to widen the fenders to fit over the tires.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
MMM...BRAINS...

Its only metal...anything is possible. Cut to match, beat to fit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
I've seen some with a narrowed cross member and with wheels offset inside a bit that did fit inside the fenders. I'm not encouraging any one to do it, only suggesting that some of the problems can be overcome.

I'm building a 1-ton using a C-20 IFS and plan to widen the fenders to fit over the tires.