The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2023, 01:18 AM   #1
rechinca

Info needed Boyd tank fuel line plumbing - carburetor

Kind of a short term plan leading to future work. Need to replace my in cab tank so I figured it would be a good time to just change over to the Boyd tank now. Running a carburetor and mechanical pump, but the plan is Holley Sniper next spring. Looking for any info for the lines and plumbing to the front from the rear tank. I’d like to start ordering/purchasing those items while waiting on the tank to arrive. I have a new line from the in-cab tank to pump (3/8”) so wondering what any of you may have done between there and the Boyd tank.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:16 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Info needed Boyd tank fuel line plumbing - carburetor

I copied 67C10Step and used this line kit.

https://www.sstubes.com/products/tgl...line-kit-steel

They offer a stainless version as well.

Here's my writeup for the installation.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=828999
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #3
rechinca

PJ, thanks for the info! I don't know what I typed to not find your thread. That is exactly what I was looking for. And as luck would have it, I picked up a used Sniper system today for $500. Young man who was fed up not being able to get it to run right so I took a chance on the used system. It was complete minus the temp sensor, but that is minor. Ordering the tank and lines tomorrow so maybe by early fall I will have this sorted and running right.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
PJ, thanks for the info! I don't know what I typed to not find your thread. That is exactly what I was looking for. And as luck would have it, I picked up a used Sniper system today for $500. Young man who was fed up not being able to get it to run right so I took a chance on the used system. It was complete minus the temp sensor, but that is minor. Ordering the tank and lines tomorrow so maybe by early fall I will have this sorted and running right.
That's a killer deal! I installed a Sniper on my truck a few months ago, and it's been running great. I struggled early on with it rebooting randomly while driving. Solved that issue by installing MSD Super Conductor spark plug wires. The annoying thing was that I had just installed a really nice set of custom-fit Accel wires with ceramic boots. I love how easily the engine starts now, and it's no longer a dance to keep it running when shifting into gear when cold. Didn't get any gain in gas mileage, unfortunately. I tuned my old carb pretty well, I guess.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:48 PM   #5
rechinca

I could not pass up the deal. Ill need new filters and lines, but I would not reuse those items anyhow. Just straight up luck on FB marketplace! Great advice on the wires. I have seen a few guys complaining about issues that I wondered if they weren't related to that. I have an 80 Trans Am and that thing was horrible about interference. Now that I am working on that (okay realistically the last 10 years...) and know about the electronic interference, I will make sure to upgrade my wires. Cheap insurance ahead of time to make sure to eliminate issues!
Old 06-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
rechinca

So, slight change in plans...was getting ready to order the tank when a screaming deal came up on a Sniper unit. Per Holley, I can run the Sniper returnless by using a returnless pump and blocking off the return ports on the unit. Will be using the Blazer fill set up inside the bed, Boyd tank, most likely the returnless system (Sniper setup I got didn't come with the fuel lines so might as well go without the need for the extra expensive hose and put it towards a returnless system) and start collecting the extra parts. I will keep this updated as well as my build thread. Will most likely be a fall/winter project as I have a pile of work (brakes, front end bushing and King Pins, PS conversion) on the wife's 71 F250 to get done in the next month or so first.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
pjmoreland

The return port on the Sniper is the one that's on the built-in fuel pressure regulator. Is that the port they said to block off? How will the fuel pressure be regulated in this arrangement?
Old 06-17-2023, 09:34 PM   #8
rechinca

The regulator side is on the return. Per the tech you block off that return port and use a returnless pump. Holley offers a returnless pump and he gave me info on a couple of others to look at. Holley even offers is now as a master kit with the Sniper and pump on their site as a "returnless" system. The Holley pump has the built in regulator, but they also offer exterior regulators you can put close to the tank. Check out SimpleC10 on youtube. I will be doing some more checking on this before I start ordering parts though. Part of me wants a little bit more and trick/fun setup just for the heck of it. Always like trying something new and different.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:37 PM   #9
pjmoreland

Returnless sure would make it easier for people who are running the stock fuel tank. Will you have to install a regulator near your tank with a short return running from the regulator to the tank?
Old 06-17-2023, 11:02 PM   #10
rechinca

This is the pump that was recommended to me by the Holley tech. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-144

He said it is a standard 12 bolt flange mount and is a pump/regulator setup all in one. This way, and a couple of other retrofit pumps they now offer in the master kits, there is no need for the return line or the external regulator/sniper's internal regulator. I have a few more questions for the techs for Monday before I decide my route. But by the time I buy the filters, return line and fittings, I am getting closer to the cost of the pricey in tank pump. Will have to convince the wife this is the route I would like to go, but even if I don't, if/when the external pump goes bad, it would be an easy retrofit into this and could remove the return line.

Last edited by rechinca; 06-17-2023 at 11:02 PM. Reason: include link
rechinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:07 PM   #11
rechinca

Here is a screenshot from the Holley page for their master kit using a similar pump. Cap off the return port on the Sniper and you only need one line.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2023, 11:40 PM   #12
rechinca

Another option, the one SimpleC10 on youtube used, was an external filter regulator like this one:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-875

Lots of options out there now with ways to not have to run the return line. Im at the point with how I bought mine, I need a feed line and return line, or I need a feed line and returnless setup. I want to do it most economical way, but have a little fun with it too.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #13
pjmoreland

I like how the Holley in-tank regulated fuel pump doesn't have an electrical connector inside the tank. The aeromotive pump I got from Boyd does have a connector inside the tank, and I believe that's how fuel is getting into the wires and wicking out of the tank if I fill my tank absolutely all the way to the top.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:19 PM   #14
Accelo

As a side note on the Sniper system.
A good friend of mine just installed the Sniper system.
The Car ran well but would never idle correctly.
Lots of RPM hunting at idle. Would start and run sometimes, sometimes not.
Note, this was the Sniper system only and had a regular distributor installed.
After hours of work and professional help we traced to down to an incorrect vacuum advance in the distributor.
The motor had a large cam in it that lowered the manifold vacuum so far it was bouncing the timing all over the place while idling.
This was his second Sniper install. The first had a matching distributor that was all digital.
That one started and ran well out of the box.
I just mention this as one possibility why the first owner may have had issues.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #15
rechinca

Great info Accelo! Mine is a bone stock replacement crate engine with a Speedway brand HEI so we shall see what that produces. I am hoping it will work fine with the upgrade, but anticipating I may need to go that route at some point. Good to hear what the source of the problem was, so many never come back with that important piece of info.