The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
dc59fleet

What seat to use in a '59?

A leaky gas tank has ruined what was left of the bench seat in my '59 Fleetside. I want to upgrade to something more modern and comfortable. Has anyone found an easy replacement from something else that fits in halfway easily? I heard that a Suburban middle seat is good, but what year?

I also want to get that gas tank out of the cab. What options have others used to get something under the bed? Thanks!
dc59fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Bruce B

Got my seat out of a Jap mini van. fits nice. Had to fabricate brackets for it. It's real comfortable. has armrests, headrests, belts for 3. I'd suggest taking a tape measure out to the local bone yard and see what you can find.

After a lot of research and junbkyard hunts I foud a web site with repro fuel tanks for most vehicles i know of. the cool part about it was it had dimensions and pictures showing filler tube and sending unit locations. What works out best in my opinion is a '56 Belair. I was able to mount it between the frame rails behind the rear axle without any modifications to the frame or cross member. I brought the filler tube out through the left rear fender and plan a late model fuel door. I have pics of all this but can't seem to attach anything successfully. anybody got any hints for me?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

i believe the newer (99-current) suburban 2nd or 3rd row seats fit in the 55-59.

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold

Last edited by ShamrockCustoms; 01-04-2004 at 09:26 PM.
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #4
Seon

I've got a 60/40 seat from late 80's-early'90's Chevy PU in my '57 GMC PU.
Fits like a glove.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:12 PM   #5
Norselander
Clunker Farm, Proprietor

Check this out DC:

E. St. Phillips' Truck (see 'interior')

St. Phillips has a larger seat photo here.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 AM   #6
dc59fleet

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce B
Got my seat out of a Jap mini van. fits nice. Had to fabricate brackets for it. It's real comfortable. has armrests, headrests, belts for 3. I'd suggest taking a tape measure out to the local bone yard and see what you can find.

After a lot of research and junbkyard hunts I foud a web site with repro fuel tanks for most vehicles i know of. the cool part about it was it had dimensions and pictures showing filler tube and sending unit locations. What works out best in my opinion is a '56 Belair. I was able to mount it between the frame rails behind the rear axle without any modifications to the frame or cross member. I brought the filler tube out through the left rear fender and plan a late model fuel door. I have pics of all this but can't seem to attach anything successfully. anybody got any hints for me?
Bruce B: I did not take the idea of a 56 Bel Air gas tank too seriously until I asked around and one appeared for me! Amazing. Have you figured out how to attach your pictures? I'd be very interested in seeing how you attached it. If you don't mind, send some photos to my e-dress: loco-motion@postmark.net. Thanks. DC
Old 12-24-2003, 02:16 AM   #7
Stingray42
Woot.

i love the bench in my 93 GMC 1/2 ton Solid bench but a bucket like shape in the driver side (like a 40/60, but no split)
Old 12-29-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
mac57truck

I am planning on using the 40-20-40 seats from a 99-current Chevy truck due to the integrted seat belts.Check these out !I have them in my daily ride and I love them.Just make sure you reinforce the floor properly.
Current project 1957 chevy short box with C-4 Vette suspensions front and rear.lots more mods to come.Will be LS1 powered when it finally hits the road.I also plan to use a 58 Fleetside box in order to be different.Still in the building stages.
mac57truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Gas tank between the rails

Here is a picture of a fuel tank in a customer's '57 Chevy Pickup frame.

This is a 22-gallon tank that has it's filler neck located behind the license plate of a step-down rear bumper.

No sense in ruining a good varnish job in the bed or cutting a hole in the side of a fender.

My two cents worth.... rico

Attached Images

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 AM   #10
dc59fleet

Thanks for the information!

The pictures are great! Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I'm going to go full out on the gas tank back in the frame, when I take the bed off in the Spring. Having the filler neck come out behind the license plate is too obvious for me to come up with myself. I also located a bench seat from a '94 GMC pick-up which should bolt in very nicely. As to the rotten gas tank, well, any purists out there should stop reading right now. I have an in-cab tank out of a mid 70's Ford, which sits in there really nice, and the filler tube points right out of the standard opening! Remember, this is only temporary until I can get a tank back in the frame. But keep those ideas and experiences coming!