The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
vintovka

Unhappy 700r4 shift indicator assembly?

Well trying to finish what i could not afford the shop to do. I have an 87 gmc tilt column they rebuilt with the 700r4 column shift. They rebuilt it fine but need an assembly diagram to reassemble the shift indicator. Have all the parts and can get pointer in housing and working . BUT Theres an odd looking white plastic part with two spring arms that has me stumped. Been on the net for 2 days looking for a diagram to no avail. Its NOT the dash mounted indicator with the cable, Thanks
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: 700r4 shift indicator assembly?

According to most all the major vendors an 84 GMC Sierra classic with a 700r4 AND has a column mounted shift indicator doesn't exist. Every source says this does not exist!! I need a diagram showing the shift indicator parts and how they go together Again this is NOT a dash mounted indicator. What Gives?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
_Ogre

pics would help

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
vintovka

some pics
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
vintovka

Column showing indicator mount area.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
vintovka

This column is the original in this chassis The absence of a dash mounted indicator (with Cable) back that up. The only one i can find that is close is an 84-87 GM tilt VAN column. I cannot seem to find a diagram for one of those as well Very frustrating. I can assemble the indicator in the housing but don't know what to do with those pesky extra parts shown. Could be a special custom order?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
HAULIN' IT

That is not a truck column. That is why you are finding "it doesn't exist". You are on the right track with the van...they were the last ones with the indicator on the column.

The absence of the cable in the cluster just means someone took the two screws out & pitched it or that the White plastic gauge housing was swapped out with one that came from a stick shift truck, at some point.

The White thingy goes in the little square at the top...just below the light bulb. Been a while since I've been into one of those, but I don't think the part has to do with the indicator...seems to me it puts tension on one of the lower/internal parts, thus the two spring type ears. I'm thinking the person that had the column apart failed to put it in prior to putting the column back together. I'm thinking it goes in from the center up through

You need to be looking for just what you are thinking...an '84-7 maybe a bit newer (again it's been a while) VAN column breakdown. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
68c10airstream

Boy, showing my age here, the white plastic thing with the 2 brass fingers was the key in the cylinder reminder buzzer contacts. Remember that annoying buzzer that went off when you opened the door with the key still stuck in the column?? I remember pulling that piece out to replace the key cylinder assembly!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
vintovka

Thanks I thought someone would know. I gather that only the indicator and the housing are necessary. From comment so far the other springs seem leftovers not critical to operation of the shifter. I still would love to see a diagram and have searched till fingers are numb. As for the column I have no idea but may contact the original owner and ask what happened. It came from a huge cattle ranch and $$ wasn't a problem. Still wonder what the black spring goes to just for piece of mind.

Last edited by vintovka; 02-16-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
mr48chev

As far as I know no Chevy or GMC truck after 1972 had a shift indicator on the column.

I've seen something like that setup before but can't remember what on.

The truck coming off a big ranch doesn't mean squat as far as what parts were used because farmers and ranchers quite often will use what the have available in the junk collection out back to put something together rather than go out and buy it.

If you are bent on using that column you may have to clean the clutter off it and use something like a 72 indicator setup with an indicator dial for a 700r4.

The pieces are here and cost under 20 bucks. Pieces here http://www.classictruck.com/category...nd_Lever_Items

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
vintovka

Thanks I took a chance and assembled it (without the springs) and it works fine.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
vintovka

Thanks I took a chance and assembled it (without the springs) and it works fine. The former owner was a huge dude and may have had it made to fit him.