The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
smith&hammer

help!! swapping a 56 1ton 4spd to a a/t

ok i know somebody has had to do this. am putting a v8 in a 56 1 ton panel and would like to also go with a a/t like a 700r4. the problem is the e/brake is on the 4 spd. do i need to change the rr to a late model? i was told that you cant put the e/brake on the original rr. im also going to change the r&p to a lower ratio ( if i dont have to change it) what is avail for those h072's.
signed: cant drive 55!!! anymore
Quote:
why buy new when you can drive a classic

Last edited by smith&hammer; 10-29-2003 at 12:04 AM.
smith&hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:00 AM   #2
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Angry I hate zeros!

Sorry gang, but I hate zeros! I mean I don't like to see a post go unanswered for days on end! So I am going to try and help you if I can.

First of all ... of course lots of '56 1-tons have been customized and Automatics have been installed in place of three speeds four speeds and etc.

What you probably are saying is ... "Look guys, I have this big hunky four on the floor thing, and I want to put in a 700R or a 400TH or perhaps a 350TH - but hey! What do I do for an emergency brake ... as the thing is attached to the side of this hunking 4-speed down here!"

Well... let's not despair. As I see, it you have some options. You can install the type of e-brake system that came in other 55-59 pickups (it was a lever type that mounts under the dash to the left of the steering wheel) or you can modernize in a couple of ways...! Like with a foot operated Parking brake like most cars and trucks have now, or you can use a floor mounted Parking brake like the Gennie or Lokar brands. You do have options.

As for the cable and all that connection business, there are many ways to hook it up, and to try and explain all that may take more space than I am allowed to post here.

But if you want, we can help you. As for an original hand brake under the dash, we have some of those in good used condition. Visit my web site for contact info. Good luck ... no ZEROS here! rico

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
Coleman396

Emergency Brake

Rico. I think you might have missed the point here. Or I may be mistaken but I believe the problem does not revolve around mounting the hand brake handle. The problem is that the brake assembly attaches at the rear of the transmission.
Once the trans is switched to an automatic there is no emergency brake to activate.
Now the easiest way to cure that would be with a Micro Lock switch. Basically you plumb it into the brake system like you would a "line lock" setup. This time it has a manually operated lever that is a two position setup.
Stepping on the brake pedal and holding the pedal down firmly you put the lever into the lock or on position. That through the hydraulics in the brake system holds pressure on the brakes until you release the lever or put it in the "off" or "unlock" position.
If you have a scrap yard around you area they will be able to supply one from a 5 ton truck without air brakes. Good luck!
Coleman396 is offline   Reply With Quote