The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Fountain

Manual Transmission

I know this has probably been ask before...I have also searched and came up empty. But I am can be ignorant when it comes to searching.

Specs:
53 chevy truck
6.0 vortec
8.8 Explorer Rear end
4 or 5 speed transmission with hydraulic clutch

What transmission/bell housing will be the most economical. I cannot afford a t56.

Since this truck will be mainly just to cruise around town, it will not be a daily driver. I really want to have a manual transmission to bang gears to remind me of the times when I was a kid, dumping the clutch and roasting tires.
Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: Manual Transmission

the NV4500 came behind the 6.0 in the HD trucks.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
_Ogre

with the 6.0 vortec and an automatic you can go thru 3 gears while roasting the tires
no brake torquing required

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
e015475

That engine and your intended use (drag launches) will eat up a T5 pretty quick. That would have been your cheapest option.

I don't know how a NV4500 is geared and if it'd be suitable for the driving you'd like to do. I imagine the gear splits are pretty wide.

A Muncie or T10 four speed can be made to work and is the next least expensive option. You'll need a 158 tooth Sachs flywheel from a manual LS powered truck and a 621 bell housing, either from Kiesler (or whoever bought them out of bankruptcy) or an original and a big block clutch (some mods to the pressure plate required). You'd need to buy a hydraulic throwout bearing and set it up. Shifter location might be a little awkward for an AD truck

Here's an article-

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmi...on-swap-gen-3/

The option I like best is the TKO500 or 600, but its probably $1000 more than a Muncie or T10, but a $1000 less than a T56. It does have an overdrive though, so you call run some pretty stout gears in the diff and still have it do ok on the highway. You can put the shifter where you want.

Conclusion? 4L60e. Have the shifts firmed up in the tune. A lot less money. (You'll need it for tires and 'exhibition of speed' tickets!)
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
(You'll need it for tires and 'exhibition of speed' tickets!)
lol

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
mr48chev

M21 or M22 Muncies aren't going to be much or any less than a T 56 out of a Camaro or Firebird if they are fully rebuilt and ready to go. Then you still have around 300 tied up in a new Hurst shifter if you don't the shifter with it.

The NV4500 is a nice work truck trans but not a hot rod trans by any stretch. Not cheap either as I have been looking into them for my 1 ton that runs out of gear at 55 mph.

Honestly there is no free lunch with this setup. One way or the other you have to shell out some coin to make it work.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Coupeguy2001

What I did was to get a Doug Nash Corvette 4+3.

Nobody likes this thing but me.
It is a aluminum case 4 speed with an overdrive glued on the back.
Working examples go for about $600-$1000.
You can get the 4 speed part for about $150, but the overdrive is what makes it fun.
In essence, it gives you 7 forward speeds. You can run 4:11's and fry the tires, and go through the gears and
With the flip of a switch, you have overdrive.
The 4 speed portion is rated at 475 foot pounds of torque. So blast away! You just use the 4 speed as fifth, after you stop abusing the trans. The overdrive is only rated at 300 ft lbs. So by the time you have wound it out in 4 gears, the overdrive will take what's left.

Here's what it looks like bolted to my engine.....and yes, that's an 89 corvette engine with a carb.
You have to make your own rear mount and shifter brackets. The fourspeed is an aluminum Saginaw clone as done by Doug Nash

kind of like a gear splitter.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 03-20-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Coldshot

I've done way to much research on Manual options for the LS base other then a straight up t56.
Found all that has been mensioned and it all costs about the same no matter witch way you go. An m22 with the stuff to adapt it to the motor will cost the same or maybe a bit more then a t56, but if your dragging it then going threw 4 is better the pounding threw 6.

The other option I found that is probably the cheapest and I am going with, is actually a 5 speed from a 300zx. They are actually very strong and super cheap. I got mine from a TT for $200 with low Km's 65xxx. There's a company called LOJ innovations that makes a kit to adapt the Trans to the LS. It's $800 for the kit then all you need is 300zx stuff from the flywheel back, witch is at least half the cost of most t56 stuff.

The only big problem I'm running into with it for this truck is shifter position. I'm going to do a remote shifter type deal to move it up where I want it.

But if your questioning the strength or anything about this check out the YouTube channel "the smoking tire" they take out 2 different LS swaps with this Trans, both making 600+

Just my 2 cents, I have been reading up and looking for the last 2 years on this subject and besides what's already been brought up, witch are all good (except the NV4500) just all come to the same cost in the end.

And for the NV4500, it will work but it's a granny low first witch makes it into a 4 speed pretty much, not to mention its about 150lbs more then a t56, and is huge, and hard to first cheap.

Hope this helps and adds to people's lists of options
Coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Fountain

Thanks everyone for all the input. I am going to have to do some thinking on this one. Automatic is cheaper and easier but but not necessarily what I want. It will be a while my duramax went down last week with a plethora of issues and huge costs incurred. I guess that is how it goes sometimes. Stuck between a rock and hard place on that deal!
Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Hampshire

Quote:
What I did was to get a Doug Nash Corvette 4+3.
Quote:
The other option I found that is probably the cheapest and I am going with, is actually a 5 speed from a 300zx.
...very interesting options. You might also post on HAMB. With more old schoolers there, you'll find more interest in sticks. The mainstream on this forum is an LS with a 4L60e

Going with a stick is definitely either more $$ or more complicated to get there if you need to save $$. My 49 has a Tremec TKO600 w/hydraulic clutch behind a first gen SBC. It was not cheap, but it was a very straight forward install. An M22 bolts up the same way & you need a special Hurst "C" stick to clear a bench seat. Muncie's are getting $$ (with "new" ones costing as much as or more then a Tremec), but with some patience and networking a decent one can be had for a right price.

If I lived in the city, instead of the country, I would seriously consider an automatic. However...my fun is banging gears with a clutch - absolutely more grins & fun than a slush box (IMHO).

Last edited by Hampshire; 03-20-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote