The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
dave48chevypickup

converting to mustang 2

im thinking of changing over to mustang2 and i have a couple of questions. i was gonna buy just the crossmember kit, if i do this will all suspension pieces off a mustang2 bolt up to the crossmember cause i found the whole car for real cheap. also i have already put a small block chevy engine crossmember, will this work with the mustang 2?. also right now i have a 79 chevy van tilt steering column hooked up the a power steering kit on the straight axle, can i reuse the steeering column i already have. my last question is what kind of rotors will i need to keep the chevy 4.75 bolt pattern
dave48chevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Re: converting to mustang 2

First of all, welcome to the board!
I'm understanding a couple of differnet things from you:
1. You're thinking of buying a crossmember kit
2. You already have a crossmember
I guess the bottom line is what you already have can work, it might needs modifacations. It's hard to say not knowing exactly what you have. The aftermarket cross member that you could buy, would be ready.

You might be able to figure out a little more by looking at my project journal (click on the signature link below).
On the steering issue, you shoud be able to use what you have. Not knowing exactly how you have it currently positioned, it may need to be moved. once again, you can see how the Mustang II comes off of the crossmember in my journal. The rack pictured is with the power assist option.

On the rotor issue, not sure. The kit I bought included everthing (including the 4.75 rotors). If you don't get any definitive answers here, check over at Hotrodders. com and/or Stovebolt.com
I know folks have done it. I just got through going through the exercise of putting a Ford nine inch rear on mine (almost). To get the same bolt pattern on the back, I had to have the axles re-drilled/studded and the drum drilled out to match. It was cheaper than the alternatives and will work great.

I hope this helps. I'm in my first project and...learning as I go. Trying to help those going through the same learning curve.

Later,
Jon
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
dave48chevypickup

nice project, after looking through things, ive started looking at some dropped axles, im in highschool right now so it better fits my budget, i also saw some mono leaf springs, but i thought the axle wouldnt mess with the steering geometry as musch as springs right or wrong??cause i had a lot of trouble when i first installed my powersteering kit because the steering was in a bind, until i made some steering joints out of 3/4 in socket swivels, and that was when i just removed one of the smallest leafs
dave48chevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave48chevypickup
... but i thought the axle wouldnt mess with the steering geometry as musch as springs right or wrong??''
Every action has a reaction. Anything you change...will change the measurements. How much is hard to say since I haven't done that particular thing myself. If you need me to take any measurements on mine to help you think it through, let me know. I can't do any comparision measurements on my old axle setup anymore...it's already gone.
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
PHAT 53

First of all, welcome to the board Dave!

If you are buying a mustang II cross member kit the type you weld in. Your mustang II donor parts should fit. I have done this on my 1953 pickup.
But, you know there is always a but!
1. You will need to box your frame where the cross member goes and then weld in the cross member. (Measure 20 times because this is the most important part of the welding).
2 You will need to or should replace all the rubber on the donor front end. If you don’t you will be sorry later. My donor came off a 1977 Pinto same, same as mustang II. If I remember the cost of rubber and new ball joints was well over $100.00. And I had the get help from a shop to press in the rubber on the lower arms.
3. Now lets talk about those lower arms. They are not A arms they are just lower arms. That being said you will need to install the lower struts that came off the donor. The lower arms are not strong enough by them selves. Don’t worry the cross member kit should come with them.
Some times I think that I would have been better off to save up and buy the lower costing complete kit. I would not go with all the crome high dollar A arms because on the 53 you can’t see them.

Now lets talk about the small block Chevy cross member. I will assume that you mean a motor mount cross member that holds your motor. Yes, the Mustang II cross member will fit with the motor mount cross member in.

As for the 79 Chevy van tilt steering column it will be find but like 3100 Special said you may need to make some small adjustments.

As far as the rotors go you can get them in both 5 on 4 ½ Ford and 5 on 4 ¾ Chevy.

Remember with disc brakes you will need a new power booster and master cylinder also. Don’t worry it’s only time and money. Ha Ha Ha

I’m glad to see a young man working with the old iron. Good luck
Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
twinturbo51

Hey Phat I took your advice on the IFS M2 instead of the 73-87 front end.It took me a few months to gather up the stash but as of today the order has been shipped.i ended up getting mine from Rodparts warehouse.crossmember/tubular upper and lowers/airbag brackets/shocks/swaybar/dropped spindles/11in rotors and manual rack for 1650.00 shipped in 1- 1 1/2 weeks.I too am building on a budget but didnt mind spending the money on the right ride.
twinturbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote