The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

I'm baack!

Well, most of you all here on this part of the forum probably don't know me anyway.

but I guess you could consider me darn near a 10 year veteran of this forum.

I've just been without a 67-98 truck for the last 4 years or so.

sooo.. last night I found a guy about an hour from me selling an 88 sierra C1500. Body was REAL rough but he was working it out and I could tell from his other work he wasn't a bondo type guy.

$600 picked up an 88 SWB fleetm v8, 4L60E complete truck.

I'll have pics tonight.

Now.. couple qustions cos I'm just starting out here..

the dash is about ruined. Looks like someone tried to spray paint it and that did't go over well. Anyone like LMC or something make a full replacement plastic trim dash? Or is a salvage yard my best bet for this?

Obviously once I post the pics (tonight hopefully.) you'll see.. it's not a big deal right now to worry about the dash The truck was a gas meter reading truck from Alabama. The v8 (305? 350? have to figure that one out.) runs if you spray something into the intake, but the fuel tank's out cos it was rusted up. Engine has 213k miles on it so it needs to be rebuilt, along with the tranny that has no reverse gear.

Never worked on a truck this "new" as a project. I was looking for a 73-87 but what I found were overpriced rust buckets.

Anything special I should know about these trucks before I dive in? Gonna be lurking for a bit while I save up the $2k or so it takes to rebuild the $600 truck's powertrain but.. figured I'd ask. :P

thanks yall. pics later!
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

Re: I'm baack!

ok, hey mods.. actually.. can you move this to the 88-98 projects section?

This is most DEFINITELY a project truck.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Glad to have you back. Looking at your member number, you got on here a little bit after me.

I see dashes on these trucks that have been 'glassed and painted, in the magazines, so that may be an option you'd want to consider. Check out the search function for fuel issues....whether it's the throttle body, the fuel pump/tank, or other engine management issues. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who are kind enough to offer help and suggestions that would cost beaucoup bux, if you could get someone to talk to you.

So, welcome back!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

Thanks.

Yea, this would be my 4th truck since joining.

2 of which were daily drivers, the other 2 projects.

I really dont want to do anything fancy with this truck, just make it a clean driver. I guess I may need to get a FSM and figure out how the dash comes apart.

I considered getting a full silverado cab and just transferring parts (this cab is solid so I donnt want to REPLACE it.. just the interior.) but I dont want the neighbors calling the county on me for having parts in my yard. (doubt they would.. thats the pot calling the kettle black!)

that will all be done after the trucks up'n running.

I'm gonna start out pulling the motor and and getting it rebuilt, I figure all new sensors and all aught to put it on the right track. First and foremost it's gotta be reliable.

Once the motor and tranny are back in I'll do the fuel tank fuel pump, sending unit, fuel filter in line and if it needs it new fuel lines. (mud may not have been kind underneath.. it may need new brake lines and fuel lines. Don't know.) Next up would be a reman'd driveshaft, then I can start to check out the brakes and all that.

I'm going to be doing this in my back yard.. that won't be much fun but once I get the truck moving it can borrow a bay from my belair during weekends for day projects. I figure it needs new tie rods, shocks and a brake job.

I've considered putting my belair in storage but I'm afraid I wouldn't drive it if it I did that and it'd deteriorate.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

There it is.

I know this isn't the best place for build threads for this model so I may leave my build thread on FSC.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...C-sierra-C1500
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
NORCAL SS

arent they 700r4s
NORCAL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

Well that'd be wonderful. I'm not sure though.

This transmission does not look exaclty like the 4L60E I pulled from my 2000 silverado some years ago, but it does have a green electronics connector on the side. What could that be for?

I'm not familiar with 700R4s that much honestly, I'm more of a TH350 guy but I want overdrive in this truck.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
NORCAL SS

its a 700r4 they look the same though.
NORCAL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

Great, so that saves me having to source one, though this one needs rebuilding.

What's the electrical connector for? My objective if I go the carb route is to take the computer out of a role of anything beyond reporting to the gauge cluster what's going on.

ah, ok did some digging here.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...er=60109/302.0

something like that do the job?

this is good because it means I wont need a VSS adapter for the transmission to get the speedo to work, I'll just use the existing harness for the speedo through the factory 700R4.

Which leaves me with the tach (read on a camaro form you splice white and pink into bat and tach on an hei distributor) amps (should work w/o any changes) and oil/water which should come from sensors in existing holes in the 350 I'm gonna use.

Last edited by DarkFox1; 04-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.